Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Motor and Trans Moved Forward!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motor and Trans Moved Forward!
    Posted: May-27-2006 at 11:25pm
I don't know what to do about this, but my engine and transmission have shifted forward about 1/2" in my 75 Nautique. The stringers are apparently rotted in the motor and trans mount areas. What can I do to restore the position of the motor and trans and keep it in place? I really don't have the time nor the will to replace the stringers. I was thinking of picking up the motor and trans a little with my hoist while sliding the boat and trailer forward. Then maybe I could pull the lag bolts and pour fiberglass resin in the holes. Put the bolts back in and let it cure. Any advice or experience with this? Will the resin expand or emit gasses as it cures?
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2006 at 11:56pm
That is a serious problem with no easy fix. You have to remove engine and trans and investigate the stringers. No easy way around it.
1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 6:53am
Yup, just do it right.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2006 at 9:17am
doing what you propose is only going to last about as long as it takes you pull a skier out of the water, I have to replace the stringers no if's than's or but's about it.
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 4:01am
Well, I really thought that my idea would be worth a shot and so I just finished pouring three quarts of resin in my stringers. I poured it in each bolt hole after moving the engine and transmission back into place.    Each motor mount took very little resin while each transmission mount took almost 1-1/2 quarts. I filled the bolt holes with a funnel and placed the bolts back in. I'll see how it works tomoorow. I hate to take shortcuts like this, but I'm just not attached to this boat enough to quit my career and replace stringers.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 8:15am
It doesn't matter how much resin you use all your going to do is create a bigger hole in the stringers when it pulls out again. You have no solid wood for the resin to attach or bond to and are only bonding the bolts to the mounts and top layer of fiberglass covering the stringers. It may last for a very short period of time before it shifts again and I going to but my buck on 5 hours for anyone else that wants to guess on how long it's going to last.

Did you use CPES and did you check the moisture content of the stringers before you used it. If the stringers where still wet then you wasted your money because it will not work with the wood saturated with water.
Mercrewser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mercrewser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 12:47pm
Its not as much of a big deal to replace the stringers as you might think. Let us know what happens. I hate working on this stuff too, and I would hate doing a stringer job. But hey, thats boats. Except if you have this gem. This is my other boat. I got it free, and a minimum of work got it out on the water. No fuel bill either.

1969 Chris Craft Commander SS #39
Siveck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Siveck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2006 at 11:37pm
I had a great day on the lake with no problems yet. If it does move again, then I guess that I will be carving out some stringers or at least sections near the mounts. But that was what I was going to have to do in the first place. Until then, the resin will be the cure. Who knows, it may last longer than the wood.
1975 Ski Nautique
"Small Letter Boat"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2006 at 8:47am
just keep an eye on it and look to see if the glass starts to bulge on one side and cross your fingers.

start planing your winter project now and order the supplies you'll need.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic