Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Quick Fuel carb install

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Quick Fuel carb install
    Posted: August-13-2015 at 5:12pm
Hi everyone, been reading on here for some time now but never posted. I just bought a new M600 Quick fuel carb for my 93 ski nautique on the advice I have been reading on here. Question to those that have installed one already... What did you do to clearance the flame arrester and the rear float adjuster? The flame arrester wants to sit flat on the carb but the outer edge is resting on the float adjuster.

Ryan
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 6:09pm
Well I see what you are saying there, They have got an external float adjustment all up in your grill on that model. I would tend to just dremel out as much of the flame arrestor as it took to get it to sit flat there. Technically you would be putting a hole in it that would impact its primary usage however, if you made it pretty tight you would be filling that whole with offending float adjuster during actual usage. You could ball peen it in, or cut and then fashion and braze on a metal screen over the opening you make.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 6:39pm
What Joe says.

If the clearance needed isn't much, maybe a standard carb gasket that you might find between an air cleaner and carb would get you enough to not have to dremel anything out.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 6:58pm
I even wondered why you could not even put two on. But then I wonder if the USCG would frown on using a gasket. It could soak up fuel and create a fire hazard
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 7:42pm
Maybe I can come up with some sort of metal spacer. That's why I was curious what others had done.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 7:50pm
Swap to a smaller diameter arrestor?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 7:51pm
I like Joe's ball peen idea.

Take a pic, let's see where it's hitting the FA.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 8:37pm
I'll take a pic when I get home from work. Where would I source a smaller arrester?
ncdoubleup View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncdoubleup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 9:59pm
We put a new one on this year also and we ended up having to put a 1 1/2" spacer from JEGS. The nice thing with JEGS is their warehouses are everywhere and can usually come in a couple of days.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 11:24pm
I had the same problem you now have. My original flame arrestor did not have sufficient clearance due to the QF float bowl adjustment screws. The original flame arrestor was designed to fit the Holley 4160 -- which has no external float adjustment hardware. The QF M-600 is very close to the 4160 Holley, but there are certain differences. The float bowl clearance requires a raised flange flame arrestor. The K&N flame arrestor has a raised flange that allows for the proper clearance. Below is a picture showing the K&N on top of the QF M-600 along with the float bowl adjustment screwss

K&N

The spacer option is fairly inexpensive:
B&B Performance Spacer

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
ryan6971 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryan6971 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2015 at 11:38pm
Thank you thank you! I'll check out Jegs and K&N.
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2015 at 1:32am
I just put a couple of gaskets on to raise arrestor higher .
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-29-2019 at 4:25pm
Hi Guys,

I'm also installing a new Quick Fuel M600...

Just wanted to check if it matters which gaskets I use? I bought two RM0054B gaskets. But I also got one similar gasket (with a single opening in the middle) with the carb.

I assume I use one between carb and spacer, and another between carb and manifold?

Does it matter which ones I use? I was thinking the RM004B on the carb side, and the other one on the intake side?

Thanks,
Greg
1989 Ski Nautique (SN2001)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic