Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission safety cable/switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
John827 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission safety cable/switch
    Posted: August-16-2015 at 1:01am
[COLOR=blue]I'm having problems starting my 1999 Ski Nautique. the mechanic tells me the problwm is with a transmission safety cable and associated switch. Is anyone familiar with this.
John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 8:38am
John,
You mention the trans switch. Is this the neutral safety switch or the safety/lanyard? The safety switch/lanyard prevent starting (engine running). Is this what you mean? I ask since there's always a confusion between running and engine cranking (starter engaged turning engine). If it is the safety switch, Get the Ohm meter out and check that you have close to zero Ohms across the switch contacts with the lanyard attached. If not, try a new lanyard first. Sometimes they get weak and don't depress the switch enough. If it's the NSS on the trans, do the same with the Ohm meter.The NSS prevents cranking. Sometimes it's just a shift cable adjustment issue with the NSS. If your mechanic said it was the switch, why didn't he replace it?? Tell us more.

Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? We love them!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
John827 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 11:02am
Apparently (according to the mechanic) it's the cable. it probably stretched a little. If I get in the boat, and turn the key, the engine turns over and starts. If I choke it first (it's a carbuerated engine), I have to jiggle the throttle. It will start on the 3rd or 4th try . . .
John
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 11:24am
Not uncommon. I have to occasionally jiggle throttle on both of mine for neutral, even easier on the Century, as it has a green neutral light. Mine are, however, quite a bit older.

In the SW I have noticed that it occurs more often if the very last throttle movement was reverse, as typical in docking. If I then jiggle it just a bit before shutdown, the next start is usually fine.....

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
John827 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 12:21pm
thanks, I'll try it . . .
John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by John827 John827 wrote:

Apparently (according to the mechanic) it's the cable. it probably stretched a little. If I get in the boat, and turn the key, the engine turns over and starts. If I choke it first (it's a carbuerated engine), I have to jiggle the throttle. It will start on the 3rd or 4th try . . .

Even a stretched cable can be adjusted.Sounds like he didn't even try! Maybe it's time for a new mechanic! Also, there are brass connection pins on the cable ends that will wear. Did he mention them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
John827 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 10:58pm
you might be right about the "time for a new mechanic." He did mention the brass pins. I haven't spent much time on this yet. Is there a website anyone knows of where I can see the cable and connection-points?
John
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by John827 John827 wrote:

you might be right about the "time for a new mechanic." He did mention the brass pins. I haven't spent much time on this yet. Is there a website anyone knows of where I can see the cable and connection-points?

John,
Go to the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. Lots of links to great topic. There's one on rebuilding the helm control and another about cable adjustment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic