Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dearborn transmission not shifting when hot

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dearborn transmission not shifting when hot
    Posted: August-16-2015 at 10:16am
Have a 1960 Trojan ski bee with a 292 interceptor and Dearborn type "c" transmission I believe. Transmission was rebuilt 2 yrs ago and has only been used for a few weeks.

the transmission shifts great when engine is cold. However after riding for awhile the transmission won't go into fwd or rev after shifting into neutral. Once everything cools down it will shift again.

Replaced the fluid. I am using Napa type fa in it.

Any help would be appreciated.

John
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 12:45pm
John,
The Dearbomatics were never the greatest but they worked. At least you have the C model with it's own hyd. pump. I have a feeling the trans didn't get a full rebuild. Chances are high that all was done was a clutch pack and the pump wasn't addressed. Do you know how many hours are on it. There is one guy out east that will work on them. Hopefully he still has some parts. I wish I could remember his name. I know Bruce will and maybe he'll spot this post. Although not original to the boat, you may want to put a Velvet drive in it. My 312 Y block (64) has the B/W on it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 7:26pm
Maybe it isnt a type "c" since I have the dual stage oil pump. The guy that rebuilt it did talk to Jim Harris from back east. He said he was able to get all parts but one and he machined a bushing for it.

Do you think the transmission cooler could be plugged and the oil isnt getting properly cooled. Just a thought.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 9:31pm
John,
If you have the duplex stacked oil pump, then you do not have a C. It's a B version. At least you don't have an A that uses the single engine oil pump for the trans as well. Yes, It's Jim Harris I was thinking of.

What engine oil are you running and what weight is it? Shoot the inlet and outlet temps of the oil at the cooler with an IR thermometer.

BTW, I hope you haven't been running the trans when it stops working and slipping. That will overheat the trans and warp the clutch plates real quick!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 10:43pm
Engine oil is 10/30. Transmission oil is napa type FA.

As far as running once I shift to neutral, when docking, is when it wont go back into fwd/rev. I would try to put in fwd/rev when coming in. Once docked an it sits and cools down it would work properly.

Going to pull cooler tomorrow to see if weeds are blocking flow. Dont have IF reader
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2015 at 11:29pm
John,
I feel you are confused about the Dearbo type which is confusing me!! I did read you are using the Napa FA but then you mentioned you have the dual stacked oil pump. Do check the cooler and then see if there's a weight spec on the FA. What I'm getting at here is running a heavier weight. The Dearbos from the inception ran 30 weight.

BTW, I'd be running some heavier weight oil in the engine. I and many here run 20-50. There are plenty of threads on oil but it's VERY important to use a oil with the good old ZDDP. You didn't mention a brand and type. You do not want to blow the RH cam in that Y block. It's a flat tappet engine! The cams are now made from unobtainium!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 10:29am
The transmission oil bottle has no weight information on it.

What engine oil do you recommend for this engine?

As far as the dearbo type, when you asked for weight of oil I never new transmission to have a weight and that is why I said 10/30 running in the engine.
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 12:29pm
May have found the culprit. Bunch of little leaves in the cooler. I can only hope.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by talljhon talljhon wrote:

As far as the dearbo type, when you asked for weight of oil I never new transmission to have a weight and that is why I said 10/30 running in the engine.

John,
The A & B dearbo's shared oil with the engine and the reason I asked about the weight.

So, what 10-30 brand are you running? As mentioned, make sure it's got the correct amount of ZDDP for the flat tappets. I run Valvolene VR1 20-50 in all my engines. Others prefer other brands.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2015 at 1:21am
I just bought some of the valvoline vr1 20/50 to change to.

I am confused because my transmission has a dipstick where I and my father have always put tranny fluid in.

Am I wrong in doing that?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 8:03am
Originally posted by talljhon talljhon wrote:

I just bought some of the valvoline vr1 20/50 to change to.

I am confused because my transmission has a dipstick where I and my father have always put tranny fluid in.

Am I wrong in doing that?

Since you have the dip stick on the trans and you use the FA fluid, you have the C Dearbo and not the B with the dual stacked oil pump IN the engine.
Did removing the leaves from the cooler help?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 9:46am
Didnt try it yet becausw when I hooked the fake lake to it n started it up it leaked engine oil from oil pump for a bit then stopped leaking. When tried to shift to fwd had nothing. Going to check pressures out of pump.

I have one oil pump that pumps engine oil and transmission oil. I always called it dual stage. Maybe that was confusing
talljhon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote talljhon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-05-2015 at 4:35am
Still had problems. Found that the pressure from the transmission part of the oil pump is very low when transmission wont shift. If I bleed the air out by disconnecting the line the pump will have pressure and shift.

Trying to get the different types of transmissions figured out. This is what I think, correct me if im wrong.
Type A - One piece Bellhousing and Tranny, Dual Stacked Pump uses engine oil and DOES NOT have a dip stick
Type B - One piece Bellhousing and Tranny, Different type of dual stacked pump, the oil and transmission fluid sides of pumps are separated by "O" ring, uses type "F" fluid and has dip stick. Jim Harris told me this is what I have a few years ago.
Type C - Not one piece, not sure what type of pump it uses. uses offset gear

That being said I have a spare oil pump for a type A but not a type B. Do you know where I might be able to find one. Haven't talked to Jim yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic