Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefooting off deck?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefooting off deck?
    Posted: August-17-2015 at 2:55pm
I was talking to a guy this weekend who says him and his buddies used to barefoot right off the deck with a short rope. I said it sounded dangerous in case you fell forward, but he said the boat's going way too fast for you to hit the deck falling.

Found this video of someone doing it on YouTube. Anyone try this before?

***EDIT: video now embedded
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 3:20pm
I am sure he is correct with the math calculations, but I still wouldn't try it. I have also seen a vid of someone just stepping off the platform instead of doing the dw start.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 3:30pm
We used to call it Platfooting.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 3:31pm
wow, that seems like an awfully uncomfortable way to start.

definitely count me out for the at speed platform bail out but the step off is good. seems like the line is a tad short though
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 6:56pm
We used to do it when we were immortal, 18-25 I suppose.......water is warm and soft but don't turn the rudder when the skier is back there........instant wipeout! It is a real crowd pleaser.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2015 at 8:36pm
I guess at that speed carbon monoxide isn't a problem.
Tim D
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:37am
Have heard this being done in tandem in show ski act......aka the chariot race
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:15pm
LOL !!!!We were as far from a show ski act as the moon but did manage a tandem a time or two. A cooler of beer, 6 guys, a boat........no way we should still be here........oh the formative years! And I know-pics or it didn't happen-but that was way before technology!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:29pm
Pfft. No excuse. You are old enough to know that before iphones there was this stuff called film.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:33pm
Not something I want to try off a Barefoot Nautique or an Ski Nautique with a padded keel but any flat transom boat is probably fairly stable back there.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 12:39pm
Jeff Swedish took a couple off platform runs behind my boat at the SJRR a few years back... he made it look easy.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 1:31pm
I've done that off the back of the Hyrodyne, but could only suck exhaust for so long.

Never tried it off the BFN until tonight!     
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2015 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Pfft. No excuse. You are old enough to know that before iphones there was this stuff called film.

You are so right! I don't know where to start looking for the film! iPhones make it so easy to capture that stuff now. I will consider that a challenge!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

come with the pics
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

come with the pics

I'll find my pics. It's behind the BFN, which is a heck of a step down. I think there might have been a beer in one hand. The real trick was stepping back up.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic