Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gt40 won't turn over or prime

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Rbalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gt40 won't turn over or prime
    Posted: August-20-2015 at 2:51pm
I have a 2000 sport that won't turnover and fuel does not prime. The battery is fine, starter works when bench tested, I have replaced the solenoid behind the engine, and bypassed the lanyard. I have 12.3 volts at the battery and 12.2 at the solenoid, breaker box, and starter. I have also cleaned various terminals. Is the minor drop of concern? When I push to start the keypad, the only noise I get is a slight noise from the breaker box under the dash, nothing from the starter or priming from fuel pump. While I have heard that a bad relay can cause the pump issue, it doesn't make sense that the starter does nothing. All other buttons on the start keypad work as well as the other pad. Can a bad neutral safety switch cause this?

I have searched this sight as well as others to no avail as far as others having the exact problem. I am stumped.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 3:13pm
Try another battery. 12.3 is low.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 3:30pm
A bad NSS will prevent cranking. Figure that part out first.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 4:30pm
Does the priming of the fuel pump typically go along with the starter cranking, or just turning the ignition to "on"?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 4:43pm
I think just key on?? Can't see why power would need to go through the NSS and starter to get to fuel pump(s).

When is the last time the boat ran right? Just all of a sudden won't crank and you've coincidentally noticed no fuel priming?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 4:52pm
That "i" post on the started solenoid does get used on a GT-40. There's some very light gauge wire that goes somewhere, I'm not sure if it's to the computer or to a fuel relay.
I'm not totally sure how it works, but I'm theorizing there is an extra prime cycle that happens during cranking. This obviously couldn't be the fuel pumps primary power supply.
I'm thinking that if this true, start-switched-volatage not making it to the relay would cause both problems. ie, a bad NSS etc., could be the cause of both the no-prime and the no-crank.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 5:00pm
Get out the voltmeter and see if you have continuity across the NSS in gear and in neutral OR have some fun and have someone hold start and touch an open end wrench over the NSS contacts If the NSS is bad it will start.

We were jumping the relay for a while on another boat because the NSS was harder to get to.
NAUTIQUEjunky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NAUTIQUEjunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 6:00pm
Randall, Did you have someone push the start button on the keyless pad on your boat while checking for a starter signal on the 14guage wire on the starter itself? If you don't have this you may have a keypad issue or breaker box issue also.. But like others mentioned the NSS will prevent all this from happening also.. jump across that switch .. FYI the keyless switch unit they used on 2000 up boats has been known for failure.. After you punch in your code is your system powering up??
1977 MasterCraft Stars&Stripes
1994 Ski Nautique
2000 Super Air Nautique
1986 Ski Nautique 2001
1999 Sport Nautique gt40 current

Rbalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2015 at 7:00pm
Everything else works. Jumping nss gave same results, I will try what you mentioned when I can get some help.
Rbalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2015 at 2:39pm
I get nothing to the 16 ga. wire going to the starter. When I push the keypad to run (not start), the pos. post on the solenoid drops from 12.6 to 1.3 volts.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2015 at 5:32pm
Are you sure you have the negative wire on your multimeter going to a good ground?

If you do, it sounds like something is really pulling a ton of juice. Hollywood might be right that fuel pump EDIT: priming coincides with ignition on and not starter on.

I wonder if a bad fuel pump is creating all that draw.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2015 at 8:50pm
The GT40 uses a "power assist solenoid" as well as the solenoid on the starter. It is a standard Ford style like used on the earlier engines. It is mounted on the underside of the large metal plate bolted onto rear of engine for mounting the ECM. The activation of solenoid on starter is via the red yellow wire from power assist solenoid.

This assist solenoid also is used to send power to other locations via purple ignition wires.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Rbalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2015 at 1:26am
My ground is good. I do need to clarify it is the assist solenoid on the back of the motor, not on the starter.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2015 at 6:29am
Yes...... you have two solenoids one on the starter motor and the "power assist solenoid" mounted on the plate at back of engine as I described in earlier post.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 11:27am
One thing you might want to try, is unplug (disconnect the electrical connections) your fuel pumps one at a time, and see if you still get that same voltage dropoff when you turn your dash on (key on).
Rbalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:08am
Hmmm, I'll give that a try.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:10am
My theory is that a bad fuel pump is pulling down your system voltage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic