Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

96 ski Nautique starting issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BobWall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 96 ski Nautique starting issue
    Posted: August-23-2015 at 9:50pm
I just bought a SN. It does not always crank but sometime just clicks. It you jump the wires with the key turned it cranks. Already replaced ignition switch unit. Ideas?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2015 at 10:35pm
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 12:38am
Jump which wires?
BobWall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 6:54pm
On the starter
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 4:08pm
It sounds like your starting solenoid is going out. I assume you are jumping the posts on the solenoid to get it to crank? Or are you jumpering a wire from the battery directly to the starter? Either way I think the solenoid is your problem. Easy 5 minute swap on a Python and I imagine the Fords are similar.

solenoid
BobWall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 4:32pm
Yes we are jumping the posts on the solenoid. Thanks for the feedback!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:12pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

Either way I think the solenoid is your problem. Easy 5 minute swap on a Python and I imagine the Fords are similar.

I Try not to just throw parts at a problem before testing. I'd sure recommend getting the VOM out first. Is the coil on the starter relay (solenoid) getting power? Is the coil on the relay open? Does the relay have a good ground? Are it's contacts good showing close to zero Ohms?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
s_kelley2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote s_kelley2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2015 at 12:48am
If he jumps the solenoid and it cranks hasn't he already proved that it is the problem?
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-26-2015 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by s_kelley2000 s_kelley2000 wrote:

If he jumps the solenoid and it cranks hasn't he already proved that it is the problem?

It's likely the problem, but he hasn't for sure proved it until he checks that positive power is making it past the Neutral Safety Switch and to the S terminal on the Solenoid.

Actually, this image is a perfect explanation of the stock PCM configuration. The solenoid is shaped different but exact same idea:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic