Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kidder KD3000 Ski

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kidder KD3000 Ski
    Posted: August-24-2015 at 1:31pm
So I just received an impulse purchase of a Kidder KD3000 68" ski. It has a couple scrapes on the sole and a small gouge on the top plate. I'm hoping this is an upgrade from my Connelly Quatum.

Being new to the double boot world...is there anything I should know? Anyone have feedback on this ski?

Also, the bag is really dirty. I was thinking I'd toss it into the washer on the gentle cycle unless there is a better way to clean it up (i understand dirt doesn't really matter and it will just get dirty again, but i just like to create my own dirt )

91NaughtyQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 91NaughtyQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 3:06pm

You are going to have to "lube" the bindings when you put the ski on. I have always just kept a travel bottle of Dawn with me - Assuming you are on the platform-. Dunk the ski- squirt a little bit on each binding where they come together at the top. Slide feet in. The Dawn washes right away and you have a nice snug fit
gas_it View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gas_it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 3:36pm
I have an old Kidder Redline Graphite double boot that I love. Just don't get both boots so tight that you can't lose the ski on a hard fall.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 7:00pm
Don't forget to lube up your foot too. Makes entry much easier.   I have 2 KD skis and love 'em. KD 7000 and CR7.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 7:08pm
cool.. thanks for the tips all! Its funny that the design of the boot is not much different than the hyperlite raider boots i have for the wakeboard. I'm hoping that the conditions allow for me to give this ski a try tomorrow. I'm really hoping 68" will get me out of the water easier. the 67" is definitely a struggle.

Just as a follow up, I did wash the bag in the washer on gentle cycle and let it air dry. It came out nice and clean. The straps were pretty rotted, so I will eventually stitch on some new ones, but not a pressing issue ATM.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 3:34pm
Great ski. My wife and daughter love thier 3000, in 63"

I'd like to take it for a rip but don't want to break it on them.

If you can't get up on it, report back here for advise, we'll get you going
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:19pm
For double boots, most folks put the back foot in first.

My wife has 3000, it's 63" or 64". She's always liked the ski, though she's not a real aggressive skier, so she doesn't push the ski to its capability.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:29pm
Oh man I was excited about the ski until every post I've read on this bad boy, people only talk about females using it. Did I buy a vw Jetta of the ski industry?

Thanks for the tip on rear foot first.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:31pm
it is purple
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:49pm
I don't know how well you ski. Most guys over buy. You know that.   I certainly do.

I don't have any real data, but I would guess that the KD 7000 was a bigger seller with guys
because we always think we are better than we are.

My $.02.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

it is purple

Says the guy with the pink wetsuit.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 5:57pm
I'd have to guess the 68 length version would have to be made for a male.

Either that, or for the more full figured lady, LOL
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

Oh man I was excited about the ski until every post I've read on this bad boy, people only talk about females using it. Did I buy a vw Jetta of the ski industry?

Thanks for the tip on rear foot first.

LOL... Probably but I wouldn't let that stop you from using it. My daughter has a 63" 3K and she loves it but she has pretty much used it up. She wants something faster and more aggressive. It's got more flex than the 7K so it's a more forgiving ski but it will serve you well for some time at your skiing level.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 6:09pm
That ski won't hold you back..
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:31am
According to my niece the Kidder 3k is the best ski she's had so far.   Her mom skis on it too, and luvs it.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 4:37am
I ski a Kidder Red Line and it is very predictable, turns great and is stiff for fast wake crossings. I don't know how the Red Line compares to the 3000 but I have similar boots.
I hate needing soap to put them on but they are comfortable once on.
The Kidder works well on soft pulls and on very hard pulls.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 8:50am
The 3000 and the redline are very similar.

River Rat to Mole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 11:59am
i noticed that the sole does say HAMMER with REDLINE underneath.

I thankfully got into the boots on just fine. I left my card reader at home, so can't upload any video today. My attempts were not fruitful last night. I guess Ive been away from it too long that I can't seem to find that perfect position/balance to pop out of the water. I'll try some more this weekend.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 12:39pm
put a toe plate on the back. you are going to hurt yourself trying to get up in double boots.

call wileys and tell them what you have, they'll have a plate that fits those holes
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:16pm
Often times, the missing piece of a successful deepwater start is just getting into a ball, and staying there as long as you need to. Trying to stand up too soon will foil attempts.

Gundriver demonstrated a piece of the start at last year's CT Mini that I never specifically thought about before then: You want to make the handle touch your forward shin. In-other-words, be couched enough that your legs fit inside the the area created by your two straight arms and the handle. Lean a little forward or back as required, but don't try to force it, you just have to wait.

Also, have the driver put the boat in gear, so you can get all lined up in balanced, then hit-it from there. Hitting it from a dead stop doesn't always yield the best results.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:21pm
Toe plate for sure. As far as binding lube, I use 1/3 laundry soap with 2/3 water in a spray bottle, works great and as I understand it not as hard on the rubber.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:31pm
Not sure how you are basing your assessment on possible injury. i'd say i have a higher probability of hurting myself doing tricks on the wakeboard than I do on the single ski.   I am fully capable of skiing once I am up...most of the time I just don't want to practice deep water starts so I either dock start or drop a ski (not an option with the double boot) as to not waste water time. I'll just have to continue to practice until I get the feel. If I want a toe plate, I'll just use my connelly or jobe ski.

My slalom experience has always been recreational and i've never been in a course. I'd like to advance my skills and start carving better turns. Up until last year, never had much opportunity to ride as I didn't own a boat (or know too many people). So it's been close to 20 years (and a few #s heaver) since I've routinely gotten up on slalom, it's not that I've never done it, just haven't done it enough lately. Two skis, wakeboard, ski seat, and kneeboard are not an issue for deep water starts for me.

Brian, I would agree that position is my downfall at this stage. Yesterday I was trying to teach a buddy how to get up on the wakeboard and it's was really easy to tell him what he was doing wrong, but until he incorporated what I was saying he kept struggling. In the end, he got up...but his balance issues made it tough to stay up. I remember back in the days when I was learning to ski/wakeboard for the first time and the struggles, but once you get that "feel", everything just clicks into place. It will take a little practice and patience. I need to heed my own advice :) I will maintain a tighter ball and keep the handle to my shins. If I have to continue to use the shorter ski with toe plate until I get the feel, so be it.

Thanks again for the advice.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:35pm
Gang, we are talking about skis that are what- 15 years old at this point? A lot has happened in the ski world since then FWIW. I think Denny started D3 in 2004 or so.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:40pm
On a hard fall where only the front releases things can get ugly fast, happened to me enough times I went back to a toe plate. After going back to a toe plate it was also clear to me the rear boot did not make me a better skier, way overrated IMO.

On your deep starts, too much throttle can also mess up the skier, hammer down is not always best.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:43pm
I still think the problem stems from it being a girl's ski

You should not be relearning deepwater starts in a double boot ski. You're setting yourself up for pulling something (back muscle, hamstring, arm/shoulder tendon) and wasted time and gas.

Good luck getting your shinS to the handle. If you can do that you'll be up and on your way to 1 ball immediately! Knee between the elbow. If on 2 skis, both knees between the elbows. If you can't stay stable dragging in gear you're not ready. Or, be an injury risking 50% get up kind of skier.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 1:48pm
HAHAHAHAHAHA HW. How did I miss that scene when I saw that movie?!?!?! It might be time for a rewatch.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 2:32pm
it's never not a time for a rewatch
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You should not be relearning deepwater starts in a double boot ski. You're setting yourself up for pulling something (back muscle, hamstring, arm/shoulder tendon) and wasted time and gas.

I agree. You don't need a double boot to "take it to the next level". Andy mapple always used a rear toe plate, didn't seem to hold him back.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 4:14pm
I see more people lean back, relying on their back foot with the "security" of the boot holding their foot in. Double boots can promote bad habits. Ski in a toe plate, it'll force you to use your front foot, like you should be using.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2015 at 5:52pm
When was the last time you were up on the Jobe?

A long long time ago, I found the yellow bottom honeycomb Jobe to be the hardest ski to get up on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic