NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrysler M440 - water in oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 6:28pm
The swivel/risers on this should only help ingesting water from the exhaust, assuming it's coming from the pipes up to the engine. Now if it were leaking inside the riser itself, then the second you shut off the engine it would pool up in that rear cylinder. I would think that would just hydrolock it during cranking and you'd never get it started. Apparently this locks up while running for a minute or so.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 2:45pm
My friend has similar vintage 440 and occasional problems with ingesting water due to the lack of manifold rise. Good flaps and avoiding quick stops can help.

And his is a 22' coronado with a much longer run than that SN too...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 1:06pm
Believe Joe mentioned the odd manifold config "could" be to keep water from backing up via exh, any chance that could be why no issue on hose but issue in water??
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:55pm
I have zero valuable knowledge to offer up but that boat is sweet!

Just trying to keep you company till the guys start offering up advice!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:03pm
I'll just keep talking to myself here . Maybe some pictures will get some interest.

I took a few pictures last night of the intake and heads. I noticed that the intake had visible rust on the #8 runner (and its corresponding #5 on the other side). Naturally there was also signs of rust inside the head intake port as well. I don't know if this is the cause or the affect of hydolocking the cylinder.

Picture of #8 intake runner

Picture of #5 intake runner

Picture of #8 intake port on head

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 2:28pm
If the engine hydrolocks while running, wouldn't this mean water has to be coming in either through the intake valve or from the head gasket?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 12:37pm
Ok folks. I ended up buying Adam's (pcjeeper) 73 SN with the Chrysler M440 this last weekend. Adam was looking for a boat that he could use right away and when this boat gave him some engine troubles, he decided to sell. With the 67 project still underway, I definitely didn't need another boat, but I have always loved that color combo on a 2nd gen, and with the rare big-block power, I just couldn't pass it up.

I need some help with the engine however. Adam successfully ran it on the hose but when he ran it at the boat ramp, it ended up hydrolocking on him 2 times. The 2nd of which broke an exhaust valve and bent a pushrod. The oil was also milky. I am definitely not a motorhead, so I need some guidance. What are the first steps to diagnosing this thing.

What we know:
-It ran on the hose (don't know if it started getting milky oil at this point)
-It started at the lake but locked up and died
-Pulled plugs and cranked over to remove water
-Refired engine but locked up again
-Locked up a 2nd time
-#8 exh. valve is broken, and associated pushrod is bent
-Oil was milky

So I figure the possibilities are:
-Bad exhaust manifold
-Bad ex. manifold/riser gasket
-Bad head gasket
-Cracked head
-Cracked block

The engine is still in the boat, but the Stb. head is removed.

Any thoughts?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic