NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chrysler M440 - water in oil

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chrysler M440 - water in oil
    Posted: August-31-2015 at 12:37pm
Ok folks. I ended up buying Adam's (pcjeeper) 73 SN with the Chrysler M440 this last weekend. Adam was looking for a boat that he could use right away and when this boat gave him some engine troubles, he decided to sell. With the 67 project still underway, I definitely didn't need another boat, but I have always loved that color combo on a 2nd gen, and with the rare big-block power, I just couldn't pass it up.

I need some help with the engine however. Adam successfully ran it on the hose but when he ran it at the boat ramp, it ended up hydrolocking on him 2 times. The 2nd of which broke an exhaust valve and bent a pushrod. The oil was also milky. I am definitely not a motorhead, so I need some guidance. What are the first steps to diagnosing this thing.

What we know:
-It ran on the hose (don't know if it started getting milky oil at this point)
-It started at the lake but locked up and died
-Pulled plugs and cranked over to remove water
-Refired engine but locked up again
-Locked up a 2nd time
-#8 exh. valve is broken, and associated pushrod is bent
-Oil was milky

So I figure the possibilities are:
-Bad exhaust manifold
-Bad ex. manifold/riser gasket
-Bad head gasket
-Cracked head
-Cracked block

The engine is still in the boat, but the Stb. head is removed.

Any thoughts?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 2:28pm
If the engine hydrolocks while running, wouldn't this mean water has to be coming in either through the intake valve or from the head gasket?
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:03pm
I'll just keep talking to myself here . Maybe some pictures will get some interest.

I took a few pictures last night of the intake and heads. I noticed that the intake had visible rust on the #8 runner (and its corresponding #5 on the other side). Naturally there was also signs of rust inside the head intake port as well. I don't know if this is the cause or the affect of hydolocking the cylinder.

Picture of #8 intake runner

Picture of #5 intake runner

Picture of #8 intake port on head

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 12:55pm
I have zero valuable knowledge to offer up but that boat is sweet!

Just trying to keep you company till the guys start offering up advice!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 1:06pm
Believe Joe mentioned the odd manifold config "could" be to keep water from backing up via exh, any chance that could be why no issue on hose but issue in water??
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 2:45pm
My friend has similar vintage 440 and occasional problems with ingesting water due to the lack of manifold rise. Good flaps and avoiding quick stops can help.

And his is a 22' coronado with a much longer run than that SN too...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 6:28pm
The swivel/risers on this should only help ingesting water from the exhaust, assuming it's coming from the pipes up to the engine. Now if it were leaking inside the riser itself, then the second you shut off the engine it would pool up in that rear cylinder. I would think that would just hydrolock it during cranking and you'd never get it started. Apparently this locks up while running for a minute or so.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 11:51pm
I am with Chris on this one.......great looking boat!
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 11:58pm
It will make me cry knowing such a beautiful boat won't be on my lake anymore. Never got to see it in person even .
1972 Mustang
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 12:18am
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I have zero valuable knowledge to offer up but that boat is sweet!

I'm with Chris on this. Would be great to see if it was anything special on the build sheet and if there is if Ken would remember it.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 2:05am
Beautiful boat and with such a unique engine.

Steve Workman will near wet his pants when that blasts past his under powered chev. version
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 3:19am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Beautiful boat and with such a unique engine.

Steve Workman will near wet his pants when that blasts past his under powered chev. version

Lewy, I'll try to contain myself...

Craig, What prop is she spinning?

btw...not a bad color combo.... "works for me"
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 4:45am
Not what you wish to hear but anytime an engine hydro locks there is a very real possibility of a bent connecting rod.   I have seen it many times and had one myself. With the heads off you can put a dial indicator on the pistons and check the deck height on all 8 pistons.
For each piston you would need to check in 4 spots. 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00.
If you find one side low and the opposite high compared to the other pistons you have a rod issue.   You would check each one at Top Dead Center.   I hope yours are OK.
Good looking Nautique and I never knew they came with a 440, what a torque monster those engines are. Must be very fun to drive.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 8:35am
The intake should not rust up as a result of a hydrolock. I assume there is a water jacket in the intake just above the rear runners? If so, I'd be cautiously optimistic that you found the culprit. Tough to be sure it's the only failure point though without more info. Any evidence of water in the exhaust manifold runners? Any chance a compression test was performed prior to head removal?
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 9:44am
Tim, this is what was posted when he had the boat, "Pulled the exhaust manifold today and didn't really find any cracks, going to do a compression test Saturday next...".

"And the Verdict is....

Compression Test (Bow to Stern)
Port side
120-120-90-120
Starboard side
110-115-110-0 :(

Going to pull the starboard head as soon as I get a chance..."
1972 Mustang
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:00am
As Justin stated, Adam did perform a compression test but with the cracked exhaust valve the #8 was dead. I replaced the valve last night and have a new pushrod as well. Should I put the head back on and just do a compression test?

To answer you question Tim, I'm not sure where the water goes in the intake except for that it does cross over from one head to the other. You can also see in this picture the #5 intake port on the port side head is definitely rusty, consistent with the intake. There was definitely water getting in the intake.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:00am
Here is the picture:

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:15am
Post a pic of the intake (and/or) head ports, should be obvious where the water runs.

With a possible explanation of the one offending cyl on a comp test, that's one more vote of confidence that you've gotten to root cause. I'd be tempted to get a new intake and reassemble.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:36am
All I got right now is the picture above and a slighter wider view here. Can get more pics when I get home. But what you see is pretty much it. There are the 4 intake ports and 1 water port.

I've seen on some replacement valley pans, that the water port is blocked off. What would the purpose of that be then?

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 11:48am
That is not a water crossover, its a heat riser and they typically block them off in all performance applications. There should be no water passing through that intake anywhere.   I think the water in that intake either came from spraying water down the intake manifold due to some crazy hose issues (less likely) or was sent up there from the number 8 cylinder which was getting it from the exhaust, head gasket, or crack in the cylinder wall and pumping it back through the intake valve...   

Hard to tell without taking it all apart. I would definitely drop all the pistons down to the bottom of their stroke and inspect the cylinder walls (number 8 in particular) -- and measure the hydrolocked cylinder extensively to ensure you haven't bent that rod before blowing a set of gaskets on putting it back together.    
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2015 at 12:52pm
I'll definitely check the #8 TDC vs. the other cylinders tonight. If the rod is bent, the whole thing has to come apart and pretty much makes troubleshooting this inside the boat pointless.

I'll get some pictures of the exhaust manifold runners tonight as well, but I do know the previous owner did leak check the manifold and it checked OK. I suppose it could still be coming from the elbow/swivel water jackets if they were cracked, but wouldn't the exhaust pressure just push water out by that point?

Side question: How does water in the cylinder go backwards through the intake valve into the intake? Obviously a leaking intake valve would allow this, but after I replaced the broken exhaust valve and lapped in the new one, I filled the #8 chamber to make sure the new valve wasn't leaking into the runner, and neither valve did. Obviously this wasn't under the pressure of the compression stroke but still.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 10:36am
Well I put an indicator on the suspect cylinder and it was checking right at 0.010" below the other 3 cylinders on that bank. Specs on the connecting rods give a range of only 0.004" so it does look like the #8 probably has a slight bend in it.

Is there an acceptable limit here or is it all or nothing? Just from a compression standpoint, my math says would add about 2.5cc's to the TDC volume and lower compression from 8.00:1 to about 7.85:1, or about a 2% drop in compression assuming all other factors are the same. But what I don't know is, will an engine run with a slightly bent rod, or should I expect this thing to come flying through the side of the block the second it fires the next time.

I would really like to continue diagnosing the water in cylinder issue before buying new internals for this.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:01am
The rod bend might be relatively ok, or it might be side loading the bearings or piston to the bore. If you could see it from the bottom you would know.   I think you are holding back your leak checking by not pulling the engine out . If you know for sure it is leaking into number 8 and your connecting rod is bad on 8 I would have that bad boy on an engine stand in front of me looking for cracks in the cylinder wall of number 8. If you don’t see any get the rod straight and put your short block back together. Have the heads checked for cracks and then put them back together with good gaskets….   Don’t trust that the other guy checking the manifold ruled anything out. As for how things get in the intake, you don’t know that the intake valve was open or close or water tight when that cylinder was running full of water just because after cooling and removing it seems watertite.   Bottom line is there is no water in that intake casting so it didn’t come from the intake, unless it was sprayed in the carb it came out of cylinder, or through a crack in the intake runner of the heads.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2015 at 11:28am
Sounds like a plan Joe. I appreciate the help.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2015 at 4:00pm
When a rod bends it will tweak to one side or another. That will leave one side of the piston high and one side low. I have never seen one stay flat when a rod bends.
Hydro lock does not normally bend valves I suspect your water leak rusted a valve and it stuck prior to being hit by a piston later and bending it.
I don't know the 440 to comment on where your water came from. Good Luck
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 4:35pm
Just as an update, I'm waiting on delivery of a borrowed engine stand. Once I get that the engine is coming out of the boat and I'll pull the #8 rod. Assuming the rod is bent, can these always be straightened? Just wondered what the options are here if it is bent and not salvageable. I would think all 8 have to be replaced to stay balanced.

MrMcD, you are correct about the valve. I would say the exhaust valve rusted/cracked, it wasn't bent.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 4:56pm
It depends how bad it is bent Craig. Normal performance rebuilding the rods are checked for straightness in a fixture and straightened if needed. If yours is noticeably bent check with a engine shop. If it needs to be checked for cracks and or stress releved it might be better just to get another. The new one can be balanced using the old one for reference,they can match the total weight and end to end balance from the old to the new.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 1:42pm
Well I have the engine out of the boat and was able to pull the #8 piston/rod. If the rod is bent, it certainly isn't enough to see by looking. I might haul it in the work and lay it on a granite table and take a quick few measurements with a height stand.

I also cleaned and closely inspected the cylinder and I cannot see any signs of a crack. I wasn't using dye penetrant or anything but it looks OK to me.

Still holding on to hope that this is a gasket issue.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2015 at 4:26pm
Craig,
Get the cans of dye out and check that #8 bore. You may not be able to see a crack especially when the block is cold.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 10:07am
Well it still runs. I did get some dye penetrant and checked the cylinder, everything looked fine. I ended up buying a new (reman) rod and had the piston swapped over to it and stuffed it back in the block. Then I measured it at TDC and it was checking about the exact same as before (about .010" lower than other cylinders on that bank). So it doesn't look like the other rod was bent at all and all, but what would explain the lower measurement? I wouldn't think the crank would've twisted?

Regardless, I re-assembled the engine, put 5qts of oil in, and fired it up outside the boat. Didn't have the RWP or alternator on it so I just ran it for about 30 seconds. It started extremely easy and seemed to idle real smooth on what appeared to be all 8 cylinders. It also sounded pretty awesome without any sort of exhaust on it! I think I will throw it back in the boat now and hook up all the exhaust and put this thing on the hose and hope for the best.

As far as the exhaust manifolds, I pulled apart the riser/swivel and will be replacing the inner and outer O-rings inside the swivel, and also replacing the gaskets between the manifolds and the elbows.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic