NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hull Damage, gel coat repair.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hull Damage, gel coat repair.
    Posted: September-10-2015 at 8:10pm
I have some gel coat damage on my 1995 Sport Nautique on the bottom of the hull next to the water intake. I've included a picture because it's worth a thousand words.

Should I get it repaired before putting it back in the water? I've just bought the boat and would like to ride it once or twice before putting it up for the winter. I plan to do several repairs over the winter and would rather get this repaired along with some smaller gel coat issues in the spring once I have had a chance to work on the boat.

Lastly does this look like something a novice could take with a gelcoat Repair kit or does this look like it may require a professional to do it properly.
Damage Picture
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 8:31pm
Not a problem to just use it the way it is.

I would get the evercoat gel kit & match it best you can.

It really isn't very important because no one sees it anyway.,
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 9:07pm
This Place has repair kits specific for your color, make, and model for roughly $35.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 9:16pm
Great, thanks. I'll get the kit and attempt the repair myself.
skibum1110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibum1110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 9:32pm
Any idea how difficult it is doing it yourself? Ironicly I chipped my gel coat on my ***************ty trailer fender lastweek[/URL
1992 Ski Nautique
1975 Ski Nautique
2000 Ski Nautique
2006 Ski Nautique 206 Limited
2005 Air Nautique 206 Team
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 9:43pm
Repair is easy and straight forward, color matching is a tough. Try to find the spectrum color that matches your color. I bought mine from iboats iirc, but had to get a quart. I think I paid about $96 to my door...keep in mind it does have a shelf life of about 6 months.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2015 at 10:31pm
I used the one above,think I got it thru iboats for 25. Color is a little off for mine,a little titanium dioxide would have fixed that. Yours being on the bottom an exact match isnt as critical. Color matching gelcoat is the hardest part of the repair. Take a dremel tool taper the gel back from the damage much like you would featheredge when doing paint. Run the dremel over the glass a little just to clean any contaminates off and wipe with acetone. Mix your gel with the hardner and apply. I use the screwdriver I mixed it with and just blob it on making sure it's higher than the original gel. After it hardens, block wet sand starting with 400 then 600,800,1000 then buff and polish. A nice easy job that makes you feel like you really accomplished something. When you go to color match do not add the hardner,gel color does not change as it drys or when hardner is added
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 10:17am
Skibum: The only thing I would add to Gary's directions is to make some sort of lip out of tape or wax paper or something just below the repair to keep the gel from simply running and dripping.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
skibum1110 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skibum1110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 2:49pm
Thanks guys.

Is the boat usable like this until its fixed?
1992 Ski Nautique
1975 Ski Nautique
2000 Ski Nautique
2006 Ski Nautique 206 Limited
2005 Air Nautique 206 Team
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 3:08pm
Yes....you're okay...It's just a flesh wound!

If anything, I'd take some 600 grit or greater and blend it smooth. If you have some fibers showing after then dab a little superglue on the fiberglass only. When she's down for the winter (no sure why she would be.... you live in Fla) when when you fix it right you're gonna rough it up with sandpaper anywayn so all is well.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 6:20pm
Call mertons Fiberglass in Springfield,MA. He can set you up with smaller quantity and colors to match it correctly. it won't cost anywhere close to $96
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Skibum: The only thing I would add to Gary's directions is to make some sort of lip out of tape or wax paper or something just below the repair to keep the gel from simply running and dripping.

I agree. I like to surround the patch with fine line poly tape. The gel won't stick to the poly, the tape protects the surrounding gel from getting sanded too much and it acts as a thickness guide to how far you have sanded. When you start sanding the tape, you know you only have a few thousandth's to go after removing the tape.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-11-2015 at 11:10pm
I only used tape when I used a straight gel,and only to hold it in place while it set. Using a block to sand was always good enough,you just have to be carefull and not be in a rush. The Spectrum gel which I honestly recommend has a thickner already in it. This kit I bought for my 95 supposedly comes from the same source that Correct Craft uses to this day.,but like I said turned out to be a little darker than my boat,but just get some white (titanium dioxide) used for tinting and adjust yours to match.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2015 at 10:35pm
On this topic, could anyone help source a Spectrum patch kit for what I believe is the 'Natural' color gel coat for my 1999 Sport. Fell victim to a steep ramp and a trailer fender.

scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2015 at 10:41pm
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic