Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351w starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
69comander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69comander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351w starter
    Posted: September-17-2015 at 7:23pm
Need help, I have a CC 69 barracuda the 318 went south, so I have a 351w RR that I'm going to put in it's place. I also have a chris craft with 2 351ws in it. the problem is my chris has the starters mounted on the top of the bellhousings. I bought a bellhousing from Jody at fla. boats it is like the ones in my chris you can use a bottom mount starter or use a chevy long nose starter on the top of the bell housing. My RR starter is in bad shape and so I wanted to use a top mount starter (easy to change) and I have a spare. need to know what flywheel to use? I have a 13 1/4" 157 tooth but the nose of the starter doesn't go in far enough to engage the ring gear. The bellhousing is the same as my chris bellhousings and they work perfect. Any help would be great.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 7:33pm
How bad of shape is the RR starter? Have you thought about rebuilding it? If the armature is good (most likely) then it's just bushings, a commutator clean up and brushes.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
69comander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69comander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-17-2015 at 8:23pm
Your right, I have rebuilt it several times. I worked in a electric motor shop and have rebushed it and and changed the brushes. It is rebuildable, but the top mount is easy to get to and works nice.just need the proper depth flywheel. I hate to take my Chris apart just to see the flywheel. thanks Kevin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic