Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pop-Up Cleats Install on 95 SN

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SteveHookEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pop-Up Cleats Install on 95 SN
    Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:26pm
I found that not having cleats on the boat on each side near the stern makes it difficult to tie down at docks. I ordered the 4 1/2" pop-up cleats from Nautique Parts.

Are these difficult to install? Anything I should watch out for?
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:36pm
make sure you check both sides of the intended install location to make sure you have the same structure underneath the top deck.   I remember someone finding that the structure differed from side to side, but I think it was on a tower install in the front, so YMMV.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 3:38pm
My concern is getting beneath the cleat to screw down the bolts. I'm not looking at the boat now, but does it allow me to get up in there to bolt it down?
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 4:06pm
I understand that cleats would be convenient but your boat was designed without them for a reason. Correct Craft designed the boat so that there aren't any obstructions that snag the ski rope as you circle the skier. I have been in boats with cleats, pads etc.. on the gunnels that snag the ski rope and it is very annoying.   And yes pop up cleats will snag the rope. Just something to consider before you add some clunky hardware to your beautiful silky smooth boat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 4:21pm
I don't see how they can snag if they are flush mounted and round over on top. The newer boats have them. Nautique Parts has OEM models available. Also, I've never had the rope drag across the side rails at all. It sits higher than that.
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

And yes pop up cleats will snag the rope.

Never had a rope snag on our pop-up cleats, ever. I'm definitely for avoiding any new holes in a boat, but pop-up cleats are pretty handy for tying up next to a dock or another boat.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

And yes pop up cleats will snag the rope.

Never had a rope snag on our pop-up cleats, ever. I'm definitely for avoiding any new holes in a boat, but pop-up cleats are pretty handy for tying up next to a dock or another boat.

Where did you mount the cleats? Any pics by chance?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 5:14pm
The factory Pop up cleats on my 206 are mounted on the vertical surface of the top deck just above the rub rail, they never snag the rope except when they slide out on their own which is a problem with the factory cleats, they were replaced once under warranty and now the replacements slide out pretty regularly as well. The front cleats mounted similarly (maybe a slight lean in) never slide out
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 5:41pm
They were already installed when I bought the boat, but here is a picture.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2015 at 6:48pm
They look pretty flush but I still wouldn't do it. My buddies Malibu has stick on foot pads/steps on each gunnel. They are very low profile but every time you are idling around a skier you have to reach back and give the rope a flip because it snags. Drives me nuts. Never have to touch the rope on my boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic