Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

96 Nautique will not start

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 96 Nautique will not start
    Posted: October-02-2015 at 8:42pm
Just purchased a 96 Nautique with a PCM 350. It was an out of state purchase from La.Got it yesterday. Anyway tried to start it today all I get is a chattering noise from the starter. The battery is dated 8/15. The previous owner hasn't been much help. This whole deal has been a nightmare from the start.

Can anyone tell me the rotation of this engine? I wanted to turn it over by hand a bit but wasn't sure of direction. Thanks.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 9:28pm
Dave,
Is the battery charged? Is it a starting or deep cycle battery? Hopefully it's the former. What condition are the battery cables in? Their terminals? Did you use a battery post/terminal cleaner (wire brush type) when connecting the battery? What voltage are you getting at the battery as well as the starter during cranking? Check all of the above since turning over the engine by hand will not do any good.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 9:55pm
A '96 should be LH rotation( CCW viewed from rear of engine).    If you roll it over with a wrench, it doesn't hurt it to turn backwards.

Assuming the battery is good, sounds like battery cable or connection problem. Check the ground connection on the engine too.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-02-2015 at 11:46pm
I cleaned the post and the inside of the clamps with a battery cleaning brush. after thinking about it. Maybe it is where the clamp connects to the cable. I'm going to change them tomorrow. Thanks
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2015 at 2:28am
have you tested the battery voltage?

sounds like low voltage to me
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2015 at 1:41pm
Sounds like your battery just needs a charge (or you have a bad connection). Have you tried giving it a jump?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2015 at 2:50pm
Got it started. It was a bad cable connection where the cable attaches to the clamp. Thanks again for the help.
After running it I noticed the temp gauge is not working. I would guess it's the sending unit.
Can any one confirm the location? I'm pretty sure it's located fwd of eng. near the water pump. PCM 350.
Is it possible that the gauge could be bad?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2015 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

Got it started. It was a bad cable connection where the cable attaches to the clamp. Thanks again for the help.
After running it I noticed the temp gauge is not working. I would guess it's the sending unit.
Can any one confirm the location? I'm pretty sure it's located fwd of eng. near the water pump. PCM 350.
Is it possible that the gauge could be bad?

Dave,
Please don't guess it's the gauge until you do some basic testing. Get the volt meter out and make sure you have 12 volts nominal to the gauge. If good, confirm continuity of the sender wire from the gauge to the sender. Remove the wire from the sender (yes, it's near the circulating pump and T stat) and ground it to the block. The gauge should peg if the gauge is good. Get back to us with what you find.

Congrats at getting the engine going. Did you check voltage at the battery and make sure it's a starting and not a deep cycle?

BTW, it sounds like you have repair type terminals on the battery cable ends. Get rid of them by replacing the cables. Go with the next size larger cable too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-03-2015 at 8:06pm
The Battery is good. Although it looks like a Walmart batt. It's a Maxx Everstart 650CC Amp.
prob. OK for know since it's only a month old. Yes I agree new cables and ends. When I cut the end and stripped it there was still some rust showing. Time to replace. Size is #2. I will go to #1 maybe 1/0. As far as the gauge,I still have to do more checking. I did have 12v. at the gauge but when I shorted the sender wire it did not peg. I did not have time to check for continuity. I only ran the boat on the trailer for less that 10 min. The gauge never went higher than 120deg. With all the things I have been finding so far it wouldn't surprise me if he took the T-stat out.
I hope to get it out on the water maybe this weekend. If there is no shaft vibration I'll be happy. The other issues are nothing.

KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 12:44pm
Why did you buy a boat from so far away?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2015 at 10:48pm
The big question is why I bought it without actually seeing it. There are a lot more boats down south than up in the North east. I was stuck on that color combination and year. The price was where I wanted to be also.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2015 at 12:33am
Temperature sender is screwed into the circulating pump under the upper thermostat housing. I had trouble with mine and just pulled it out and found it covered in calcification. Easily cleaned off junk and it was all good again.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 8:47pm
Ok hear we go. I had the battery cable issue resolved for now. Last night I turned the motor over it started no prob. Today i got home from work I decided to start it again because I planned to drop it in the lake tomorrow to ckeck the running gear. Hit the ignition, nothing.
The volt gauge shows nothing the Tach pegged out the ignition light and the trouble light were dim. I put my volt meter across the battery and got 12.5V. Even when I go to start.
The only thing I didn't mention is I had a battery tendender connected when i tried to start.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 9:18pm
Did you wiggle the shifter to see if its the neutral safety switch?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2015 at 9:40pm
Yes I did. What bothers me is that the gauges and the lights went bull***************. Oh BTW the neutral switch was bypassed by the previous owner.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 12:35am
Have your battery load tested. Voltage does not indicate a true battery condition. You are reading a surface charge.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
geecee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geecee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 4:36am
but if you measure while cranking you should see if it drops, anything below 10 and you will have issues.

Also, check if you are getting 12v on the starter solenoid, if you do then check if your solenoid is actually closing, can do a continuity test on the solenoid contacts going to the starter motor. or just check voltage there when you crank, should get 12 again as it closes the circuit.
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 9:34pm
Replaced both Battery cables today. I think the Neg. cable was bad. Anyway Engine starts and runs. So i decided to take it to the lake since I've yet to run this boat on the water.
Back it into the water and of course the shaft packing leaks like a sieve. No surprise. In my haste to try the boat I didn't bring large enough pliers for the packing nuts. What I thought was strange was that the locknut was tight and the packing nut spins free. I tried to back off the locknut but it was too tight. It's been awaile
since I messed with shaft packings.
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 9:35pm
Battery load tested good. Cables were bad. Thanks again for the help. This site is priceless.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 10:38am
Dave,
It's great that you found the problem and confirmed it. There sure are times when hunting down the issue can be frustrating. Were you able to get marine rated battery cables?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2015 at 9:11pm
The gauge is ok must be the sending unit. I can't belive they mounted under the t-stat
housing with a 1/4" of space.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Strega51 Strega51 wrote:

The gauge is ok must be the sending unit. I can't belive they mounted under the t-stat.

The "must be" is still a concern.
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Please don't guess it's the gauge until you do some basic testing. .

Dave,
In checking the gauge, did you ground the sender wire and did you ground it at the engine or at the gauge?
If at the gauge, did you confirm continuity of the sender wire back to the sender?
Have you Ohm'd out the sender to the block to make sure there's a good ground?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Strega51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strega51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2015 at 8:37pm
I grounded the sender wire at the engine and the gauge pegged. So I would say that rules out the gauge.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic