Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 SN Running Great, now won't start

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
SteveHookEm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Have them put it back together. Then either go skiing or find a new mechanic.

They've already installed the new starter and I have labor now for the compression test and I'm assuming labor to pull the heads. And, what mechanic? My main goal is to get the boat running so we can enjoy it and not worry about reliability. I have a "Mustang Guy" that works on the restoration of my son's Foxbody 1988 Coupe. But that car is hardly reliable and I don't think I want him touching my boat! haha He could certainly mount the heads but if something didn't run right then what? I am stuck to him and no boat knowledge.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 6:16pm
I see you had me worried for a sec. Where mine are going if it freezes I have bigger problems--- Thanks
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 7:52pm
Steve,
Have your "Mustang" guy do the work. It's a Ford and he sure should be capable of bolting heads on.

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I see you had me worried for a sec.

Gary,
I'd still be worried. Remember they now make them in China!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 8:07pm
No way I'd pay $3K for heads on my boat. For that kinda money, I'd do some research and do it myself.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 8:25pm
You are in a bad spot but recovery is possible.
AER is an automotive Engine Rebuilder in Dallas, they are the largest rebuilder in the country and build for Ford, Nissan and GM to name a few Small customers.
They could put out a set of heads locally for you and I bet they would have a set on the shelf for sale.
Your shop is not giving you a fair deal. I would take the boat away before they empty your wallet. Needing new heads is not a big deal. There is no magic in a Marine Head compared to a Automotive head. Same casting exactly. A marine builder like PCM might add a little extra clearance in the valve guides because of how hard boats are run but I ran a set of Automotive heads on my 351W in a 78 Nautique for 600 hours and it was running great when sold.   Get a new shop or make this a winter project. For the money you are considering you could buy all the tools you need and do this yourself.
Use the very best parts and know exactly what you have when done.

BTW: My 95 unfortunately had a leak in my boat cover last winter. The moisture caused a few issues but one that I have not fixed yet, have not tried to fix yet, is the starter. It now clicks sometimes when I hit the key. Moisture damage I am sure.
It always starts but sometimes I need to hit the key once or twice before it turns over.
When I get bored I will pull the starter and clean it up.
Before buying new heads for your boat I would pressure check and Mag check your old heads. They may be fine or may be eligible for a simple crack repair.
Lock n Stich has been a process used for many years that permanently fixes cracks in heads and blocks.
Any quality automotive Machine shop can do that for you.
There are shops in nearly every town. Try and get word of mouth advice as to who is the best Machine Shop close to you. Ask repair shops who they sub work out to.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 8:36pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

No way I'd pay $3K for heads on my boat. For that kinda money, I'd do some research and do it myself.

For about $1300 you could get a new set of Ford Racing GT 40 Aluminum heads.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 8:44pm
Here is a suggestion:

Get the boat back, don't bother having the heads remounted.

Buy the new parts (the guys here will help you with that).

Wait until next spring.

Show up at the St. John's river run with parts & a case of beer.

My guess is you will be on the water that same day.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 12:42am
Most of the guys on this forum are die hard DIY'ers including myself. That being said I know many people that pay to have everything done and never work on anything they own, cars, boats, houses etc... There is nothing wrong with that other than it drives us DIY'ers crazy. From your pictures it looks like you have a very nice boat. It also sounds like you have found a decent mechanic as he doesn't want to take chances with parts that he can't warranty. I suggest that you work with your mechanic and get your boat up and running then never look back. It will be reliable and give you and your family years of enjoyment. Good Luck.
JayG80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayG80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 11:16am
What shop are you using? Here is a PCM low hour engine from 2000 Ski Nautique.

2000 PCM Marine Engines 5.8 HO Pro Boss GT-40
2007 Ski
2002 Ski
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2015 at 11:59am
Originally posted by JayG80 JayG80 wrote:

What shop are you using? Here is a PCM low hour engine from 2000 Ski Nautique.

2000 PCM Marine Engines 5.8 HO Pro Boss GT-40

That thing is clean and he's "asking" $3500. Could probably get it for $3K,

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 4:10pm
OK, boat is done and ready for pickup. Worked out a deal for them to use GT-40P heads. I had them replace the exhaust manifolds and elbows at the same time. When they were pulled, one manifold had a cracked bolt hole and was almost falling apart. All the parts were severely pitted where they mated to the gaskets. So I pulled the trigger to get new right now. And I got all new bolts.

So:

New Starter
New Solenoid
New IAC valve
New GT-40P heads
New Manifolds
New Elbows
New Bolts
New Gaskets
Oil and Filter
Water Test
Labor
$3350
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 4:13pm
That hurts, but it the beats the heck out of buying a brand new boat, or even a brand new engine.

Sounds like while you're in there, it made sense to replace anything with questionable mating surfaces. You wouldn't have wanted to worry about leaks after all that.

I hope you have good luck from here forward.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

That hurts, but it the beats the heck out of buying a brand new boat, or even a brand new engine.

Sounds like while you're in there, it made sense to replace anything with questionable mating surfaces. You wouldn't have wanted to worry about leaks after all that.

I hope you have good luck from here forward.

Thanks! It better be good luck now or my wife will kill me. haha

Can't wait to get her out on Saturday to run around! (the boat, not my wife)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 5:50pm
Steve,
Glad it worked out for you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
Glad it worked out for you.

Thanks for all the help!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 6:34pm
Still a great looking boat, glad it is water bound again.

Can I ask what the final damage was?

Hope it runs really strong.
Keep it inside or do a great job of winterizing, we are in the cold time of year now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-03-2015 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Still a great looking boat, glad it is water bound again.

Can I ask what the final damage was?

Hope it runs really strong.
Keep it inside or do a great job of winterizing, we are in the cold time of year now.

Total: $3350 See my first reply above for all that was done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveHookEm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2015 at 7:34pm
Took her out today and she ran like a Swiss watch! Perfect! No more smoking, no more leaking, no more idle loping. Very happy!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-06-2015 at 8:13pm
Thats great,glad you were able to work it out with them. While 3300 sounds like alot for us do it yourself hobbyists it seems like you got alot done and should be set for quite some time. Now go have fun!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2015 at 5:06am
With proper care you should be good for another 1000 hours. Congratulations.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic