NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM Protec Pro Boss EFI

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
2001Sunsport View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM Protec Pro Boss EFI
    Posted: October-07-2015 at 12:47pm
A few questions for anyone out there knowledgeable with this system. From my research on this site I have found that:

- Protec w/carb you can convert to conventional distributor and be fine

- Protec w/EFI you are screwed if the Protec system goes out and have to convert to carb and distributor.

I talked with Vince at Skidim on 10/06/2015 and he said there are no parts available anymore for these systems (even EFI which they were hoarding parts for). Being the engineer that I am, I can't understand why there isn't a way to run the TBI setup with a conventional distributor. I found a thread here that said there is only one wire that goes between the Protec module and the fuel injection module. (See post #10)
http://www.planetnautique.com/vb5/forum/nautique-topics/maintenance-technical-discussion/3462-95-ski-nautique-fuel-injection-prob

From another thread I found it appears that this wire might be the tachometer wire. Below photo #5 it talks about the tach wiring.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34338&title=protec-ignition-swap

If this is true, what is keeping someone from tapping into the tach signal from a distributor and retaining the TBI setup? I may be way off base here, but I'm just writing down my thoughts.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 12:54pm
Your links don't work.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Your links don't work.

Thanks! Fixed them.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 2:07pm
I would take a look at the protec/tbi wiring diagram in the reference section as a good first step.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 9:46pm
I faced the same dilemma. I had the throttle-body TFI and ProTech. 1 of the 4 injectors had failed. I couldn't find parts (injectors). Rather than try to cobble something together that may or may not work, I pulled all the ProTech stuff off and threw it away. Next, I pulled off all the EFI related fuel system stuff and replaced with new carburetor system gear.

Everything is now "old school" and fixable by me. DUI / HEI Distributor. Mechanical fuel pump. QuickFuel carb. The Ford H.O. engine runs great. Perhaps I lost 10 H.P. or so, but from my perspective, this was the only way to go.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

I faced the same dilemma. I had the throttle-body TFI and ProTech. 1 of the 4 injectors had failed. I couldn't find parts (injectors). Rather than try to cobble something together that may or may not work, I pulled all the ProTech stuff off and threw it away. Next, I pulled off all the EFI related fuel system stuff and replaced with new carburetor system gear.

Everything is now "old school" and fixable by me. DUI / HEI Distributor. Mechanical fuel pump. QuickFuel carb. The Ford H.O. engine runs great. Perhaps I lost 10 H.P. or so, but from my perspective, this was the only way to go.

JQ

I went poking around with the multimeter and confirmed that there is only one wire that goes between the Protec module and the fuel injection module. This wire also shared continuity with one of the wires at the trigger connection (where the distributor would be on a normal engine). It seems to me that it is in fact just the wire for engine speed (or tach).

I have a fully functioning system right now, but knowing that at some point it will fail, I'd like to learn about the system while it is working.

My biggest question is why does everyone say the EFI won't work without Protec. "Because it won't" isn't an acceptable answer to me, I'd really like to understand why.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2015 at 10:42pm
Rob- just curious,you had I assume a electric fuel pump which you had to replace. Was there a blanking plate where the mechanical pump normally was? So when you added the pump the eccentric use to run it on the end of the canshaft gear was already in place?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2001Sunsport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 12:16am
Any of you guys that have converted still have your non working ignition or tbi units? I'm interested in them to study them a little closer.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 2:52am
Originally posted by 2001Sunsport 2001Sunsport wrote:

My biggest question is why does everyone say the EFI won't work without Protec. "Because it won't" isn't an acceptable answer to me, I'd really like to understand why.

Electronic Fuel Injection (multi-port or throttle-body) needs an Engine Management System -- sometimes referred to as EMS or ECM for Electronic Control Module. The EMS looks at the info coming in from the sensors and then adjusts the EFI based on those inputs. Without a self-contained EMS or external EMS (like ProTech) the Electronic Fuel Injection system won't work properly.

Had I fixed my Throttle-Body injection -- only to have my ProTech system fail, the throttle-body fuel injection would have also stopped working. In this instance, TBI needs ProTech.

However, ProTech can stand alone and operate with either TBI or carb. The carburetor version only uses ProTech for the spark timing and the engine protection systems (Limp Mode).

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-08-2015 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Rob- just curious,you had I assume a electric fuel pump which you had to replace. Was there a blanking plate where the mechanical pump normally was? So when you added the pump the eccentric use to run it on the end of the canshaft gear was already in place?

Gary: Yes, the TBI had low and high pressure fuel pumps. I removed both from the engine with the associated electrical feed and fuel lines from the fuel / water separator. I ran new fuel feed lines from the fuel / water separator up to the new block-mounted mechanical fuel pump. No big deal there.

Fuel Pump Block-Off Plate. Yes, my engine had a block-off plate common to the Ford small blocks I've seen. It is located on the port side of the engine block near the front and the fuel pump is mounted just below the alternator. The block-off plate had 2 bolts which were easily removed. I put a little dab of grease on the pump actuator arm and maneuvered it into position. I had to rotate the engine a bit to make the install easier by finding a place on the cam lobe where the the pump actuator arm did not need to be depressed . It seemed to be easier however than the old Chevy style where you had to hold the fuel pump push-rod up while inserting the pump actuator arm.

I'm fairly certain that the cam shaft for either a TBI or carb engine is the same. As such, the Carter mechanical fuel pump fit perfectly and mated-up with the stock cam shaft.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic