Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 W stops after being shut off wont start

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
phillipsrj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 W stops after being shut off wont start
    Posted: October-10-2015 at 8:09pm
Font=AerialSIZE=3)/SIZE)

I have a 1986 Correct Craft Martinique that starts and runs strong. After I shut it down it will not re-start. Even with starting fluid! It does not act like it is flooded.

Replaced coil, ignition switch and put in modern water/ fuel filter.

Help the Grandkids want to Wakeboard next weekend!

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 8:35pm
Do you know if you have spark when she won't start?

Is the coil getting hot when she won't start?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2015 at 8:35pm
Bob,
It's great that you found CCfan and welcome. The normal request is for pictures. We'd love to see some. A diary entry would be great as well.

Make sure it's not flooding. When you shut it down, look down the throat of the carb. (remove the flame arrestor). If you see gas dripping, the carb most likely needs a rebuild. If it is floofing, in the short term, when starting open the throttle almost all the way. This allows more air and will overcome all the gas.

Since you say it won't even start with starting fluid, then you are correct that there may be an ignition problem. Check for spark and get back to us. Does it have a point set in the distributor or an EI conversion?

BTW, please get rid of the starting fluid. You are ruining your engine. The stuff is a strong solvent and washes the oil off the cylinder walls.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 10:23am
This thumbscrew is nice to have. It makes the spark arrestor removal check Pete mentions above easily done with no tools:
http://www.skidim.com/mobile/BOLT-FLAME-ARRESTER/productinfo/RA009145/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 1:05pm
Coil is warm. And NEW. Same problem as with the old coil. It has electronic conversion.
I will check the spark. But why would it start and run like a champ then after setting for a few minutes refuse to start?

Thanks,

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by phillipsrj phillipsrj wrote:

Coil is warm. And NEW. Same problem as with the old coil. It has electronic conversion.
Commodore Bob

I suspect the EI conversion. Put the point set back in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 1:13pm
Thanks for the reply. I am almost positive about the flooding. With the throttle advanced and in the neutral position (gate pulled out) she still cranks. Spark arrestor off and no choke showing. ( I even tried to choke it manually with no results) I thought of a stuck float? Bad fuel pump? Have replaced the ignition switch, coil and put a new style fuel water separator on. It does have Electronic Ignition conversion. Looks like dual pick ups on the Dist. Lobe.

It runs perfect, but does not like to idle below 1000 RPM. Timing? 351 PCM Windsor 1986 with 675 hrs.

We love the Boat and just a good old Cheesehead in Florida!

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 1:13pm
Make sure you check for post shut down drip out of your carb's boosters, just to rule that out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 1:17pm
Thanks,

It just acts like it is not getting gas? It initially start and runs like a champ but does not like to idle under 1,000 (smooth not like bad valves)    When shut off she refuses to start. Strong battery all cells good 12+ volts.

Thanks,
Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 1:25pm
where are you in FL?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 6:18pm
In Lake Placid Florida. 10 Miles south of Sebring.
Commodore Bob.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 6:49pm
Find someone that knows what they are doing unless you do enjoy throwing parts at it. The problem should be easily narrowed in on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 7:04pm
If you know of someone that understands older inboards send them my way. I will even bring the boat to them. I'm Retired
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 9:25pm
Bob,
In your posts, you've mentioned work has been done to the engine. Have you been doing it or do you have someone else?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 9:49pm
I have done the work myself. We have only owned the boat since June. It already had the electronic ignition installed. I could not get the gas filter apart so I replaced it with a new style spin on (same problem before and after the swap) but now the filter is easy to change. I checked all cells in the battery and all are good. I thought maybe the coil was soft so I replaced it from Nautique Parts. Then the ignition switch was sticky so just to be sure I replaced it.

I know enough about Motors to get into trouble. Some suggest the timing is too advanced?
Up to 1986 I guess it is 6 deg. b-4 TDC and after 86 10 deg. May try that. Also I can take off the fuel feed to the carb and crank it and see if the fuel pump is working. (It does not smell or act flooded)

If I have spark and I have fuel it must be the carb? Float or?

Commodore Bob THINKING ALOUD
Commodore Bob.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 10:15pm
check valve
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 10:17pm
Bob,
Do check for spark. If the timing is off even more than 10 degrees, the engine will run. As HW mentioned, it sounds like you just like throwing parts at it. Don't!! Do some testing first.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2015 at 11:56pm
1st check for spark. If you have that, then pour small amount (like 1/2 oz) of gas down carb, put flame arrestor back & it should start.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:07pm
[QUOTE=phillipsrj] Font=AerialSIZE=3)/SIZE)

I have a 1986 Correct Craft Martinique that starts and runs strong. After I shut it down it will not re-start. Even with starting fluid! It does not act like it is flooded.

Replaced coil, ignition switch and put in modern water/ fuel filter.

10/24/15 I finally got her back into the drink! Ran good for a half hour then I brought her back and the same thing happened . She would not re-start after setting about 10 minutes.
What I did is pull a plug and check for spark. (No spark) Before that I put 1 OZ of fuel down the carb. No pops or trying to start. I SAY IGNITION! NOW the boat has been converted to EI before I got it> I pulled the dist. cap and the EI was really hot as well as the new coil I had just put in. ( I could not put my finger on it for a count to five ) The distributor cap looked ok, clean and the posts were not funky.

SOME SAY VAPOR LOCK BUT THAT WOULD NOT STOP THE SPARK

The engine runs at temps between 160 and 180 ..180 when pulling hard. Is the engine running too hot? Normally between 160 and 170 in warm Florida water.
What Say Correct Craft Guys & Gals?
Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:21pm
Are you using a ballast resistor? Sounds like the coil is getting too high voltage. Water temp shoudn't fail the spark.

I would replace the ignition system you have, as it has been compromised & cannot be relied on.

Some will advise you to change back to points, others will steer you to the DUI.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Commodore Bob

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Commodore Bob

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Find someone that knows what they are doing unless you do enjoy throwing parts at it. The problem should be easily narrowed in on.

Pull the main center wire off the distributor. Put a spark plug in the end keeping the other end in the coil. Groun the plug to the block. Remove the negative wire from the distributor off the coil. Turn on the ignition. Using a jumper wire from a block ground, ground the negative side of the coil briefly. When the ground is removed from the coil, you should get a spark. . If so, it's the junk EI conversion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:07am
The EI was done before I purchased the Boat. I will try the test. Are coils supposed to be very hot? I really don't like points but I would rather get a good replacement EI if one is available. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.
Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:10am
Bob,
Why don't you like points? Coils can run hot. How hot is yours'getting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:10am
I have no Idea what a ballast resistor is or where to look for it? Any pics?

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:12am
The coil is so hot I can only hold my finger on it for about five seconds before getting burned? It's new
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:20am
Bob,
How did you select the coil? What voltage is going to the coil? Some are internally resisted dropping the voltage and others need the ballast resistor to drop the volts before the coil. It's a white ceramic piece about 2" long next to the main breaker on the aft end of the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 12:26am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 7:32am

I really don't like points but I would rather get a good replacement EI if one is available.
Commodore Bob

Bob,
Personally I don'y feel there is a good EI conversion replacement When they go bad, they can strand you out in the middle of the lake. Because of this, there are some who even carry a spare module on board! With a point set, unlike a EI which typically works or doesn't, points going will typically cause some engine stumbling. A quick cleanup of the contact faces will get you home. As mentioned, if a EI is the way someone wants, the way to go is a DUI which is a complete distributor replacement. There are no performance gains by just dropping in a EI module. Points have worked since the turn of the century after the "hit and miss" ignitions. I have gone YEARS without even pulling a cap off a distributor. The only issue you may have with going back to a point set is not having the base plate for them inside your distributor. Did the PO by chance include the plate when he sold it?

You haven't mentioned why you don't like points. I'm curious.

As HW mentioned, do you have a friend who is more acquainted with engines who could help out?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2015 at 4:59pm
My Brother had a Supra with the 351 and standard marine distributor and points. His distributor needed repair so we bought a new distributor with a GM type HEI coil on cap set up. It has been a couple years but I remember it being less than $130. was a fast drop in solution and improved idle quality, cold start and ran great up to his wide open throttle 4,200, prop limited RPM.   The GM HEI electronic ignition systems are simple, cheap and have worked well for many years. Replacement parts are available at every parts store.   Points work fine and don't scare me at all, this was just a quick solution to his worn out distributor.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic