NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 W stops after being shut off wont start

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
Moody Blue View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 W stops after being shut off wont start
    Posted: November-09-2015 at 8:28pm
It really does look good. As much as I love originality, she wouldn't be Woody any other way.
   I have been wanting to show you her pylon set up. You can also get a better idea of the interior.
Sorry about position of first pic. It was taken vertically.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by Moody Blue Moody Blue wrote:

PO had installed charcoal fleck indoor/outdoor carpet on sidewalks and floor.

So that's why you didn't post a picture of the interior!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 7:11pm
Spell check got me. Side walls, not sidewalks.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 7:09pm
Yes Peter, it does have the 283. PO had installed charcoal fleck indoor/outdoor carpet on sidewalks and floor. While not the original white vinyl, it' really looks great with the wood and white w/black piping upholstery (also not the correct red & white but looks great). PO also added two square vents (complete with holes) to the transom deck. I've replaced them with orig. clamshell type. 4 vents look better than 2!   Other than that, she is pretty straight and original. Her name is Water Log, but of course everyone calls her Woody.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-09-2015 at 6:14pm
Richard,
Nice looking Chris Cavalier. Does it have the 283 in it? You don't see many of them around. I feel Chris was actually going after CC's market with a less expensive ply hull. I don't feel it went over very well since the typical Chris buyer wanted the classic planked hull. Also, like CC's, they were pretty much "throw away" boats since maintenance (paint & brightwork) on even a ply boat exceeded the market values.

BTW, if the time ever comes, a great up grade to the 283 is to use a 350 block for a rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 12:19pm
This is the old girl...

And her younger attractive sister.

Need to remove improperly placed stripes and correct.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 11:23am
Richard,
I screwed up the above link. Here's "get the kids out on the water"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 11:19am

I'll break it to the family.
On to the important issue- skiing. Could my entire pylon be sleeved?

Get the kids out on the water ]Have your family watch this especially the kids[/URL]

By the time you make a sleeve to fit your pylon, you might as well make a new one to match what CC made. However, you could use the top ring and finger section. Making a new one will also give you a proper connection at the keel socket.

Where are those pictures of the boat? Now that you've mastered posting pictures, you don't have any excuses!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 10:55am
Oooo, and I thought "wakeboard" was a bad word! The retro fit pylon on my '60 Cavalier says "No T....! I've respected that. All of our t..... was done behind wave runners. Dont have those anymore. I'll break it to the family.
On to the important issue- skiing. Could my entire pylon be sleeved?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 9:29am

not to mention a tube. Are CC poles tough to come by?
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Oh boy. Wait for it.....

Richard,
You really should have not mentioned that 4 letter word!! You haven't been spending enough time reading here on the site!!

Pylons do come up for sale occasionally. Your 72 Martinique should take a regular height pylon but do check. I'm sure someone here will comment. Fabricating one may be a better choice and has been done. Then the only problem would be finding the ring and finger which can be a challenge.

Please, if you do install the pylon, use discretion as to what's hooked up to it!!    NO TUBES.

Here's just one thread on pylons.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 1:41am
Oh boy. Wait for it.....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-08-2015 at 1:09am
Gotcha. I wasn't sure where that support bracket was originally. I can see that pole bending too. It seems substantial but I know what kind of pull a skier puts on it, not to mention a tube. We tubed solely behind wave runners. I'm thankful for your input because I was full steam ahead on the project.   Are CC poles tough to come by?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 8:25pm
Richard,
I don't feel that pylon you have will work for your boat. The CC's pylons are a larger diameter giving it the strength needed to be supported at the keel and then at the sole. Note on your pylon there's a support which originally would have been fastened to a deck bulkhead running port to starboard giving it the needed support close to the ring and finger. Take a look at the diary's and brochures to see the larger diameter CC used. Your's will bend and could be a big problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 7:42pm
Brian, thank you! That worked.
   This is the pylon. The OD iOS greater than the ID of the receiver in the hull. Utilizing the receiver with a joining cuff and a stainless plate spanning stringers should be rock solid.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 7:37pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Agree with joe and Eddie. You're doing more harm than good by pumping the throttle if the carb is drippy. That is by far the most common culprit to the "poor hot starting" issue... Temp actually does not play a role in that case. Do as joe says and do some testing.

Yes pumping the throttle is just adding to the "flooded" condition (i.e. excess fuel in the inlet manifold and combustion chamber). Every time you pump the throttle the accelerator pump squirts more fuel into the inlet manifold. Before fuel injected cars we learnt to remedy the "flooded" condition by holding the foot to the floor (throttle plate wide open) while cranking the engine to clear.

And the reason I told Bob this in the 3rd post!!!!
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you see gas dripping, the carb most likely needs a rebuild. If it is floofing, in the short term, when starting open the throttle almost all the way. This allows more air and will overcome all the gas.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Agree with joe and Eddie. You're doing more harm than good by pumping the throttle if the carb is drippy. That is by far the most common culprit to the "poor hot starting" issue... Temp actually does not play a role in that case. Do as joe says and do some testing.

Yes pumping the throttle is just adding to the "flooded" condition (i.e. excess fuel in the inlet manifold and combustion chamber). Every time you pump the throttle the accelerator pump squirts more fuel into the inlet manifold. Before fuel injected cars we learnt to remedy the "flooded" condition by holding the foot to the floor (throttle plate wide open) while cranking the engine to clear.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by phillipsrj phillipsrj wrote:

I need to find a re-build kit.
Commodore Bob

Just in case you can't find the banner at the top of the page - site sponsor

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phillipsrj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 3:24pm
I am thinking that I need to find a re-build kit. I see on a forum that the carb # is by the Choke?
Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 2:34pm

OK C R OW for dinner the boat started and ran with the 12v 3olm coil with resistor but would not go over 3200 rpm's.

Back to the dock I pulled off the spark arrestor and saw fuel dripping from the primary on the starboard side of the carb. Now What.? Rebuild the carb? I put the old coil back on but did not have time to test before the rains came.

Commodore Bob

Bob,
It's great that you found CCfan and welcome. The normal request is for pictures. We'd love to see some. A diary entry would be great as well.

Make sure it's not flooding. When you shut it down, look down the throat of the carb. (remove the flame arrestor). If you see gas dripping, the carb most likely needs a rebuild.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 2:10pm
OK C R OW for dinner the boat started and ran with the 12v 3olm coil with resistor but would not go over 3200 rpm's.

Back to the dock I pulled off the spark arrestor and saw fuel dripping from the primary on the starboard side of the carb. Now What.? Rebuild the carb? I put the old coil back on but did not have time to test before the rains came.

Commodore Bob

PS: I have to trailer my boat 22 miles to the lake.
Commodore Bob.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 12:48pm
1.) Towards the upper left, click on "Member Control Panel" with the little picture of the gear.

2.) When you get to that screen, click on File manager. It will take a few seconds to switch to that tab

3.) Find the photo you want, highlight and do a single click. You'll then get a preview. And a link with the file name. This link is the moneymaker.

4.) In my case, I've got one called Carb_005.jpg. Now, knowing this alone isn't helpful, but if I click on the link Carb_005.JPG I'll go to a brand new page with the full address in the address bar:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6518/Carb_005.JPG

5.) Copy this address, now paste it in between these tags:
{img}http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/uploads/6518/Carb_005.JPG{/img}

6.) Now, I used squiggle brackets for demonstration purposes. Those won't work. Just changes all your { to [ and your } to ] and you should have the picture directly posted.

7.) Por ejemplo:

Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 12:38pm
Are you able to get to the photos on your file manager? If so, I've got an easy fix.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 8:34am
Richard,
I've run into the same problem when a picture is already in my file manage. I don't know if it's the correct way to handle it but I've just gone into my computer and changed to name of the picture. I'm sure there's another way and someone I'm sure will come along and give some advice.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-07-2015 at 8:28am
Hi Peter
    Yes, I use the "post reply" button and the tree with arrow icon. I choose my photo, hit OK to allow it to upload but then get the message "You have already selected a file with this name. Please select another file or rename". At that point, I'm not sure how to do that.    I've been able to get the photos in my file manager. I've been using my iPad and was able to get the two pics of the boat posted. Tried my main computer also. Everything flows until I get the roadblock message. I'll keep at it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 3:17pm

It seemed that when I was having the problems (which I have not fully solved yet) Commodore Bob

You haven't done the recommended testing!!

That the Blower was not reducing the heat but taking the extra output from the alternator and thus lowering the volts to the ignition system?
Commodore Bob

Bob,
How about starting over and reading this complete thread (from the top of page #1)? It seems that you are not following any of our suggestions.
In THIS thread:

Heat is not a factor in your no start problem. On most boats, ventilation blowers weren't even used until around the late 60's. Their intent is to vent any possible fuel vapor to prevent a potential explosion. Keep it mind there are plenty of engines out there that start under hotter conditions. A good example would be one out in the hot sun in the desert.

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

removing the heat from the box through a fresh air blower is not a fix for anything, if your cooling system is working correctly you can remove more heat from that engine with the unlimited amount of cool water available than you could ever remove by blowing cold air across the outside of the motor.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phillipsrj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 2:37pm
It seemed that when I was having the problems (which I have not fully solved yet) That the Blower was not reducing the heat but taking the extra output from the alternator and thus lowering the volts to the ignition system?

Commodore Bob
Commodore Bob.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 9:55am
Richard,
Use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow. A box will come up allowing you to select the picture off your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 9:34am
oops. wrong way to post pics!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moody Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-06-2015 at 9:32am
/Users/jannettehogshire/Desktop/IMG_2118.JPG/Users/jannettehogshire/Desktop/IMG_2119.JPG

This is the pylon. Beautiful piece but not what i've seen as factory equipment and not sized to fit my factory receiver. OD is similar to OD of receiver in hull. I"m thinking that the attached bracket shown in pic will come off and not be used. Pole and new stainless stringer plate would be welded to become one unit. Cuff welded to bottom of pylon to fit down over receiver and pin secure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic