NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will this fuel pump work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will this fuel pump work?
    Posted: October-16-2015 at 8:27pm
Ordered a new one and, of course, it's different from the original one.
Anyone know if this will fit and work correctly for my '85 with 351?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-16-2015 at 9:01pm
That looks to be an automotive pump because of no diaphragm failure overflow hose connection
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 2:30am

It is. Ordered while still on the lake yesterday. Getting a marine pump will cost me about $250 plus probably 2-3 weeks time to get here. I can return this if it won't work.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 6:51am
Sander,
I feel you are going to have to face the $250 and get the proper pump. That pump you did get besides being non marine as Gary mentions, looks like it's for a newer engine with supply and return fuel connections. Where have you been getting your parts from being in South Africa?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 8:16am
You can make it work temporarily..... You have to change out some fuel lines to rubber. Keep all the original hard fuel lines as is, so you can reuse them when the correct marine pump arrives.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 8:27am
Sander,
What happened to your old pump? No pressure? Forgive me if you've already discussed the problem in another thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 8:58am
Can't you have this one shipped to you for under $250 to your door?
fuel pump
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 2:20pm
Thanks for the info guys!
Just recently I ordered the module for distributor and rotor. Cost $97, but $250 before I had it in my hands. Still sick of that so figured I'd try the one they had locally.
Hoping to find someone who can bring the pump from the US now.

Pete; at high rpm it starts stuttering, not enough fuel reaching carb, and sometimes engine shuts off. Carb seems OK. Not able to measure psi's, but mechanic was confident it's the fuel pump that's failing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 4:09pm
Could be the pump... But I bet it's not.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 5:46pm
I know... Just don't have the knowledge and/or tools to make a better diagnosis.
Anything you suggest I try before ordering the pump?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2015 at 5:58pm
Sander,
You mentioned you didn't have a way to measure the pump pressure but, all it takes is a plain mechanical gauge like you would find on a air compressor and then a T fitting. You must have some kind of industrial supply for the gauge? Go for a low psi scale like 0 to 15 psi. If all you can get is a gauge in bars' that's fine too and will just exercise our math! Is your mechanic guessing or did he actually see what pressure the pump is producing? Is the pump discharging any fuel to the flame arrestor via the safety (most are clear) tubing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 3:26pm
I think fuel starvation has been diagnosed many times on here to be related to the fuel pick up at the tank. Others with experience can chip in but it seems to me there is a check valve at the tank that plugs or sticks causing engines to starve for gas..
Do you know that your fuel filter is good, has it been replaced?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

it seems to me there is a check valve at the tank that plugs or sticks causing engines to starve for gas..

Mark,
You must be thinking about the anti-siphon valve. It's not a true check valve but rather a USCG required device. In case of a leak in the fuel line from the tank, it prevents filling the bilge with gas. Yes, they do plug up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-18-2015 at 7:00pm
$250?

Try this one for $89 from skidim

I would also look at a properly adjusted floats first. If your float is too low, you will starve for fuel at higher RPMs.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 1:31am
Borrowed a pressure meter today. It didn't do a thing, needle didn't leave "0". Must have done something wrong, though I can't imagine what. So that didn't help much. At all.

Pete, I didn't see any fuel going to the flame arrestor, though hard to tell cause tubing isn't that clear. Don't know what that indicates though?

JohnnyQuest, after shipping and handling and duties, that $89 will be close to fore-mentioned amount I'm afraid.

Thanks for the input guys!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 8:57am
Hi Trip

Why don't you hook up a 5 gallon gas can temporarily, directly to the suction of the fuel pump and see how it runs?

Use a piece of clear tubing and you can see if the pump is sucking from the can and runs good.

If it doesn't suck, then it's probably pump related

If it sucks and runs good, look at the anti siphon valve on the tank or the line from the tank to the pump or a filter if there's one on the suction side.

Won't cost any outrageous shipping charges to check this stuff.

KenO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 9:30am
Originally posted by TRIP TRIP wrote:

Borrowed a pressure meter today. It didn't do a thing, needle didn't leave "0". Must have done something wrong, though I can't imagine what. So that didn't help much. At all.

Pete, I didn't see any fuel going to the flame arrestor, though hard to tell cause tubing isn't that clear. Don't know what that indicates though?

Sander,
Do you remember what the scale was on the gauge? The fuel pump delivers around 6 Psi and the reason I suggested a 0 to 15 psi gauge. If the gauge has a higher scale, it would be hard to see any pressure.

Not seeing any fuel going to the arrestor is good. On a marine pump if the diaphragm inside the pump develops a leak, fuel goes back to the carb instead of into the bilge or the engine crankcase. It's a USCG thing.
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Trip

Use a piece of clear tubing and you can see if the pump is sucking from the can and runs good.

If it doesn't suck, then it's probably pump related

If it sucks and runs good, look at the anti siphon valve on the tank or the line from the tank to the pump or a filter if there's one on the suction side.

KenO

Kens idea isn't bad but only from the standpoint of if the engine "runs good". You will not be able to tell if the pump is bad or going bad from looking at fuel in a clear piece of tubing. You may see flow but at what pressure and difficult to detect the direction of flow. Besides leaks in pump diaphragms, there are also check valves inside the pump. If they plug up from say varnish, fuel will be pumped back and forth instead of just to the carb. Yes, "runs good" is what you really want but also you don't want to be stuck out in the middle of the lake!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 9:38am
If the pump is working properly you shouls be able to take the fuel line to the carb off and fill a jar with gas while cranking. If it can't fill the jar it has problems.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 10:08am
Maybe I should simplify this

Hook it to the can,use whatever tubing you want if the problem goes away, it's not the fuel pump.

KenO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

If the pump is working properly you shouls be able to take the fuel line to the carb off and fill a jar with gas while cranking. If it can't fill the jar it has problems.

Jack,
Sorry but I don't agree. You are forgetting the pump pressure needs to overcome the needle and seat. The pressure won't be much but with the fuel line disconnected, the pump will not see this required pressure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 11:26am
Check/clean the anti-siphon first, cost's nothing but a little time
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-19-2015 at 1:00pm
All of the above checks and suggestions are proven to find the problem. Don't start throwing parts at the boat to find the issue!!!
If the fuel Pressure is 5-6 psi. at idle (650-700 rpms check it at rpm when the problem is occurring. I had a customer's boat act the same way. He brought it to every marina in the area and all of the fuel system components had been replaced, Once the boat was on plane the engine would cut-out and misfire. Fuel pressure at rpm would drop to 1 and then .5 psi. and stay there until the fuel fill was loosened.
The problem was a spider nest in the tank vent screen!!!
When fuel is pulled out of the tank by the pump air must get in to prevent creating vacuum in the tank. The pump cannot pull sufficient volume against a vacuum.
It's worth a shot take a look at your tank vent from the outside, be sure it is clear of all debris!!!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2015 at 7:07pm
Thanks again everybody!

Think I'll have a chance to go to the boat tomorrow. Will check vent screen, but if that's clogged I'd also have problems when filling up the tank, 'cause air can't escape, right?
And also I'll let the pump suck straight from a gas can.

Pete, indeed the gauge that I had went to 50psi, so that' probably the reason the needle didn't move a bit. Tried to find another meter but only found one with even larger scale (100psi).

Found a friend who's coming down to CR this weekend who will bring me a new pump. Might not be needed, then I'll just keep it as a spare, or maybe sell it. Figured I could get it now for $89. If I waited and it did turn out to be the pump it'd cost double to triple.

Dying to figure out what it is. And to ride!
Thanks again!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2015 at 9:44pm
The latest; checked the air vent, looked fine, blew in it and air came straight back.

Then disconnected fuel line at water separator and put it straight in gas can. Ran boat at WOT, and.... no problem whatsoever.
Reconnected fuel line, ran boat at WOT, and... no problem whatsoever!

So my best guess is that there was something stuck somewhere in the vent-hose and that I blew it lose.
Hoping to run the boat tomorrow for a bit longer, so I'm very interested to see how it behaves!

As usual, CCFan'ers were right.    Let's hope the story ends here.

Thanks folks!
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2015 at 2:54pm
Problem persists.
Have only found pressure meters that read up to 100 psi or so. I'll keep looking for one.
Or I might just change the pump to see if it solves the issue, since I have a new one anyway. How hard or easy is it to change it, for a not very mechanically inclined person like me (I'm always very pleased already when I managed to change the impeller or change oil, that level :p)
To be continued....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2015 at 4:05pm
Sander,
It's pretty much a bolt on install and as long as the pump is the same, you won't need to deal with rerouting fuel lines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 2:12pm

Thanks Pete, sounds like even I can do it!

Hope to put her in the water today. Started wetsanding/buffing as well though so let's see where it ends today.
TRIP View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRIP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 3:51pm
Well that wasn't too bad. Though it didn't fix the issue...

Happened again: after about a half hour of use, in a turn the engine starts running bad and almost dies. I leave it idling for a minute and we're good for 5 minutes or so, then happens again. Again idle a bit, go, then the same starts happening in straight line too.

I cleaned out the tank, changed the in-line fuel filter, blew the air vent for the tank at the back of the boat. And changed fuel pump now.
Looks like something is clogging up the fuel supply somewhere. But where?!

If I take the pick-up out of the tank, do I need 4200 to put it back? Cause I don't have it atm (and can't get it within a couple hours' drive).

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 4:16pm
get a freakin' gauge already as i'm not even sure fuel is your problem...
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2015 at 4:19pm
Yes it is at this point much more likely to be poor wiring to the dash causing excessive voltage drop than it is to be a fuel pump not pumping enough.   Do the basics, voltage check, tune up, carb cleanout... all much more likely than a fuel pump issue.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic