Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Distributor Question # 3,214

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Distributor Question # 3,214
    Posted: June-01-2006 at 10:55pm
Hey guys,

Well after some poking around and a ton of info from you, I found out that my distributor could use some work. So, I just bought a new one on eBay. It’s a Prestolite RH rotation. It's in great shape, actually never used.

The problem I have is that it is a screw down cap and I have a clip down cap. That shouldn't be a big problem, right? However, I’m wondering if my point conversion kit will work. The only reason I ask is they sell both types.

Is there any reason why I can’t use the points kit?

I’m good with motors and getting better thanks to you. I just have never delved to deep into distributor parts compatibility.

Please help. I want to ride worry free this weekend.

Thanks in advance,

Derby
So It Goes!
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 8:01am
That distributor is probably newer, I believe 86 went to screw down. My boat's an 81 but the dist. must have been swapped out at some time because I havethe screw down cap. The conversion kit and rotor/cap are different. I ordered the wrong kit for mine from skidim and had to exchange it.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 10:43am
Derby:

A few use have purchased that exact NOS Prestolite distributor off Ebay. I stuck it in my '77 as received just before I sold the boat. It worked perfectly. I am not sold on going pointless as the annual maintenance I do on point type distributors is very easy and I have never had a failure related to points.

Others will have different opinions for good reasons, so you must ultimately decide what you want. But, 81nautique is right, the electronic ignition conversion kits are specific to the type of cap (screw down vs. clip down).
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 11:28am
To adjust points correctly you have to have a dwell meter, feller gauges get you close but not close enough. And I have not seen a dwell meter for sale in a long time.

Get rid of the points and join the real world and leave the 40 year old techmology behind. Unless you like adjust the timing and dwell on a regular bases.

UPGRADE TO ELECTRONIC AND SPEND MORE TIME ON THE WATER ENJOYING YOUR BOAT, INSTEAD OF BEING UNDER THE HOOD TOYING WITH THE MOTOR.

Oh and you might just get better gas comsumption and perfromance by living in today instead being afraid to leave the past.
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 11:52am
That's what I was a afraid of. Dammit.

I really have never had any problems with points either. I just swapped em out to try and solve a problem.

The issue now is I just bought the conversion kit for 150 and now this distributor for 85 and now maybe anothor chunk for another points kit. Man I should have just bought the damn Mallory kit along time ago. Rat farts.

Thanks guys. Hey anyone in the market for a clip down points kit and a screwdown distributor?

later,

Derby
So It Goes!
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 11:56am
Alright, next question...

Are the springs and weights the same?

It would be an expensive rebuild kit but would solve my problem.
So It Goes!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 12:00pm
why cann't you exchange the kit for the correct one? If you got it from skidim just explain you order the wrong one and ask then to send you a shipping label with the correct one to return the wrong one.
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2006 at 12:34pm
I guess I could do that. I just would feel guilty cause I ran it for two or three trips.

Oh shoot I dont have the box or the any of the stuff it came with.

I might still try
So It Goes!
Derby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Derby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2006 at 10:23pm
I called up as you said and will be shipping out the old kit on Monday. I guess I'll run the pints for a week. No big deal.

Thanks for your help guys.

Derby
So It Goes!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic