NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1964 ski Nautique project

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:10am
A quick Google image search revealed more examples of the sediment bowl facing up than down, so take that for what it's worth. Plenty of results from this website, including the y that went from billy to roger. Perhaps more than one style of pump? This ones a carter iirc.

I looked at Ethan's for a few minutes and the shape of the pump matched the boss of the block the way it was installed... Sure didn't seem to be an easy way to flip it. Caught my eye for sure but not being a y-block guy I was easily convinced he had it right!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2016 at 12:06am
this is so cool following these threads...

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Haha, better run out to the garage and look again, Pete! I thought the same thing until I looked closer, but I'm no y-block guy.

Tim,
My 312 the pump is the other way with the sediment bowl down. I know of another 312 which has the bowl at the bottom as well. With the bowl up, it makes it pretty hard to clean without getting gas all over so I'm confused!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 11:49pm
Haha, better run out to the garage and look again, Pete! I thought the same thing until I looked closer, but I'm no y-block guy.

I got a chance to check out Ethan's progress in person this past week, top notch all around. I can't wait to see it continue to progress!

Skutch's dads boat will be a great reference point, almost all original!

Phil's '65 he's redoing would be another... Here are a few threads to check out:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35457&title=1965-nautique-update

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29052&KW=&title=1963-nautique-progress

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25180&KW=&title=63-sn-is-back-home

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13945&KW=&title=63-ski-nautique

Does mike thrower (nautique frk) still have an early first gen? He's in your backyard, Ethan.

I'll follow up in another thread about the Skier. :)
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 3:03pm
Yes, there is a bracket that is fiberglassed into the hull, you can kind of see it here:

Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 2:31pm
Thanks skutsch! those are big help. Thanks for the offer, I'm down in SC, but if I visit my cousin that lives up there I'll keep that in mind. Does the bottom of the pylon on that boat anchor into the hull? Mine has a bracket that bolts to a bulkhead in between the primaries.

That's a test to see how well you know y-blocks Pete..
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:57pm
I don't know if Dubuque IA is closer, but I could meet you there sometime, that is where my Dad has his boat...
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:55pm
Here are some of the pictures I think you are looking for...

Battery Box - This is right in front of the pylon, under the front seats, shot is from leaning over the footboard and looking back to the motor:

It was moved to behind the Driver before we bought it (it was a demo boat):

Here are a couple of shots of the panel behind the driver seat next to the engine:

Panel behind the Observers seat is the same with no door.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:22pm
Ethan,
I think your fuel pump is upside down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 1:03pm
Or if there is a first gen closer than the 8 hours to Orlando I'd gladly bring a copious amount of the owners favorite brews for the opurtunity to look it over!
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2016 at 12:59pm
Finally got the engine all back together.. Dropped it in the boat this morning just to make sure everything was going to line up down the road.

I don't know how many people even look at this thread, but I would just about kill for any pictures of early first gens anyone has. Specifically at this time how the battery area should be. It looks like there used to be a piece of plywood glassed to the bilge that the battery sat on. Also pictures of the plywood pieces that go on either side of the engine directly behind the seat need to be fabricated and there is nothing left to go off of.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-27-2015 at 10:26am
Well there has to be at least 150 or more boat for him to get rid of if he is selling that property. My guess is that property is very valuable and most of those boat will have to go to a landfill. However, it will take one heck of a landfill and many saw blades or a heavy dozer to bust up those boats. There is likely a few highly sought after Bay Liners in that yard.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:48pm
This thread should probably be renamed " the infamous skier. Oh and some other boat project.. Haha
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:44pm
Wow. Saved right before the final bell sounds. Well done!
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:33pm
It was hard to see through the weeds and trees, but it actually was sitting on foam blocks. It's sitting on a Correct Craft number 2 right now, but it's just a loaner..
The boatyard is shutting down, so I don't know how much longer it would have been there.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Still gotta work out the logistics with Ethan, but that green Skier should be headed up this way Mike. (Thanks again Ethan, I'll call you this week!!!)

Great News Tim.

I am glad it is going to good hands, but I will kind of sorta miss seeing it about every three weeks as I pass it on I-85 as I travel for business.

I am curious if the trailer that it sat on was usable? I am pretty sure you will be changing it to a Correct Craft Trailer. However, I never got close enough to really check it out. I has been several years since I have even gotten close to it. Even then I never got past the dang tall fence.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 7:55pm
So... just have one secondary stringer left and then its on to floor related supports and what not.
After looking at the skier and then talking to Tim I'm thinking about moving the raw water pickup farther aft. Right now its just forward of the tracking fin which doesnt seem the best. Since in a week or two the boat will be flipped to redo the gelcoat it seems like it might be as good time as ever. I'm open to any thoughts anyone might have..
Also Im wondering if there are any first gen sn owners near greenville sc or surrounding that would'nt be apposed to me coming and taking some measurements of various things that are missing from my boat. The 70s windshield is off and will NOT be reinstalled so it looks like Ill be making a proper looking one..

juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 9:38am
Need an empty hitch Tim? Coming up next week to CT for a short trip.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 7:50am
Still gotta work out the logistics with Ethan, but that green Skier should be headed up this way Mike. (Thanks again Ethan, I'll call you this week!!!)
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:16pm
Ethan So did you get it ?   Good for you if you did. I had tried to buy it for at least 15 years Jim wanted waaay too much for it. Post some pics if you got it. every time I traveled this stretch of 85 I would go by and check on it and talk with Jim.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:13pm
Yeah, it might just pop up some day..
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2015 at 11:04pm
Tim and Donald,
I am in Greenville SC right now for business, I stopped by today in Piedmont SC to see the Green Skier I have watched and tried to buy for years and see Jim Forrester the old guy that owns the old salvage yard. He sold the Skier and it was picked up this past Saturday he said a guy in the Greenville area picked it up. I am the one that posted the photos of it on here years ago. So it might pop up on here soon. Keep your eyes open for it.
There was pieces of the old green upholstery on the ground by the foam blocks it sat on for years. I will be interesting where it pops up.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2015 at 9:35am
VD would be a good way to go where you are tearing the boat all apart. The originality aspect of it really doesn't mean anything to a Correct Craft unless you're going to restore that boat exactly as it came from the factory. We want to stay with the Dearbo because it's the most cost affective way to deal with the tranny and they have worked well for us. Very few people will work on them or even know what they are.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 10:11pm
Ethan,
I've got a Velvet on my 312. I feel for you it would be the smart way to go.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 10:03pm
Thanks Pete, I don't know how original I'll be able to keep every little minutia, but I like doing what I can.. 😃

I might let the dearbomatic go Bruce. I found a velvet drive that I plan on using. I debated back and forth, but ultimately I think the velvet will serve me better in the long run. The tranny mount on the dearbo was broken and welded back together at some point. When the stringers started going south they kept running it to the detriment of a couple different items on the boat.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Eether Eether wrote:

This looks just like the one above save the condition, so I'm assuming Dearbo model c..
most of the posts I found on these were a few years old, so are there still parts available for these?

Hard parts are not available. That's why I'd be interested in yours if you want to sell it. We had one rebuilt a few years ago and all it needed was a clutch pack and a new bearing. It has worked fine since. The one in the picture I posted needs a rebuild as it has a dirty neutral and slips occasionally on take off.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 9:50pm
Ethan,
Nice work on the pump. There is always a way when it comes to restoration!

Keep going on that hull. You have a ways to go but it will be worth the effort.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2015 at 9:35pm
Well..its been a bit so here is a little update.
while waiting on materials to arrive from us composites, I tore into the original raw water pump. It was totally shot and no replacement parts are to be found aside from the impellors and mechanical seal. I considered switching to a crank driven pump but didnt really care for how it would look.. I bored out the rear housing and pressed in a bushing as well as truing up the impellor mating surface..

At this point the epoxy and fiberglass showed up so it was on to the starboard stringers...

This is what awaits on the other side.. Notice the fern that has been growing pretty well considering the conditions.

At this point the plan is to finish the stringers and laterals and then flip the boat to give the bottom some attention. It appears a po painted some type of antifouling goop that the gel boat didnt react well to.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 11:49pm
So did you end up getting it then? Although it's 3 years newer here is Craigs project that will give you some great reading.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2015 at 10:16pm
This looks just like the one above save the condition, so I'm assuming Dearbo model c..
most of the posts I found on these were a few years old, so are there still parts available for these?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic