Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wooden Correct Craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wooden Correct Craft
    Posted: November-17-2015 at 6:26pm
Hello,

I am new to the Correct Craft forum so a little introduction may not hurt.
My name is Ken Johnson and I live in Maine. My interest lies with classic wooden boats. I have restored a 1956 Chris Craft Cavalier, finished in 2000. I have just picked up a Correct Craft project boat, it is a 1962 Compact Skier that needs total restoration, well almost.
The man I got the boat from restores boats for a living and he picked up the Compact Skier a few years ago, well he totally rebuilt the entire frame and had no time to finish the project so decided to let it go to someone that would finish it.
I have the rebuilt frame on a trailer, all of the plywood that was taken off the boat to use for patterns, all the running gear- 110 Hp Gray Marine engine, steering wheel (Red metal flake) and linkage, prop and shaft, windshield with side vents, instruments and most everything that came with the boat.. I am missing the lifting rings and some deck hardware.

I have purchased very nice quarter sawn Sapeli plywood for the hull and decks and have completed the scarf joints.

I plan to restore it as close to original as I can but it will be a user boat not a show boat.
I plan to make the deck groves original but will not be painting yellow as I have seen on the brochure for this boat. I will probably be doing the bottom in the original yellow.

I am looking for any help/ info on what was original on this boat such as appolstery type and color, floor covering or paint and color, deck hardware, stain color for the Mahogany..

I have a color flyer and a black and white flyer with boat and option pricing. Are there other flyers or literature available? Any detail picture of original or restoration boats?

I look forward to talking with any of you that share similar interests. Any info on the Compact Skier would be very welcomed.

FYI I also have a 1979 Ski Tique that is in great shape

Thanks
Ken J. from Maine
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 6:53pm
Ken,
Welcome to CCfan and congratulations on your purchase. Your best resource for information is here in the brochures in the reference section. Not much but it's something. Unlike a Chris, you will not be able to find a detailed build sheet. CC didn't keep the best of records plus due to a fire, much was lost.

The ply hull sides when finished bright, were rotary cut Mahogany and not quarter sawn. Nothing special and Philippine. Colors were traditional and I'd say the closest you will get to it is a Chris red Mahogany filler stain. (the Chris red is more brown!!!) Floor covering in Compact most likely would have been paint with a anti-skid. Gray would be my guess. Upholstery would have been pretty simple. Snap on seat backs and throw-able USCG cushions for the bottom in matching material. Deck hardware would be the typical die cast chrome plated - nothing brass or bronze. Take a close look at the brochures of that era. The hardware would be pretty common through all the models.

Since you've completed the scarfs and plan on a bright finish, how did they turn out? Any adhesive penetration at the scarf that will hinder the wood taking a stain?

Don't forget, we love pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 7:35pm
Hi Ken
I would like to see some pictures of your '56 as I also have a '56 Caviler 16'.

Pat Crusse of Crussen Classics here in Mooresville NC did a 56 Atom (not sure of the similarities with the Compact) you can find pictures of this under the reunion section and the Badin Lake Mini thread

Welcome to the site and where in Maine are you located? I grew up on Little Sebago back in the day
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 8:40pm
Welcome to the site. You came to the right place.

Let's see some pics of the boat

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 9:25pm
Thank you all for your input.

I am sending some pics.

1956 Chris Craft Cavalier and some of the frame of the Compact Skier also my 1979 Ski Tique.

I live in Buckfield ME and keep the boats at Thompson Lake in Poland. We always go to Sebago at boat show time in August. Show is in Naples on Long lake but we go through the locks to Sebago for a couple of functions the week of the show..

Ken J. from Maine
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-17-2015 at 10:04pm
Ken
We actually spokenT last years show at the Causeway - showed you a picture of my '56.
Welcome to the site.

Cheers
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 11:00am
Ken,
Thanks for the pictures. I noticed the restorer you got the hull from painted the outside of the transom frame. Why?? I'd worry about the bond with the ply skin. I suggest removing the paint before attaching the ply. Was the ply removed from the hull bottom? I ask since CC used a talc/linseed oil based bedding compound between the two that dries out so you are left with nothing but the screws holding the ply on. Even if it was removed, check on what was used for bonding. Even though it's a ply hull, I suggest 5200 and not hard gluing with epoxy. As you probably know, wood hulls need some ability to flex.

What condition is the Gray in?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 5:42pm
Thanks for the input. Paul is a very experienced pro but I will check on his logic for the paint.
So it sounds like you are suggesting i have no paint or sealer on any wood to be joined to the plywood, is that correct? I was planning to use 5200 but have no experience with it or building a plywood boat. Any suggestions on common practices would be help full..

The engine is in OK shape, it was run by the owner and a mechanic that is the best in the area on classic engines. He totally restored my Chris Craft Model A engine which has run flawlessly for 5 years since he did the work. I plan to have him take another look at it when I get close to needing it. I also plan to do what is necesary to make it all it can be.

The plywood on the bottom has not been removed yet, I will replace the sides of the hill then deal with the bottom.
Ken J. from Maine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2015 at 6:29pm
Ken,
The only sealer I would recommend on the surfaces to be bonded with the 5200 is CPES (clear penetrating epoxy sealer). If anything else like paint, I wouldn't trust the bond. Do plan on some cure time on the CPES before using the 5200. Alan (see his Hurricane thread) had some issues.

Are you sure the Chris engine is an A and not a B? The only difference is poured babbit bearings on the crank VS: modern replaceable insert bearings.

I'm still curious as to how your scarfs on the ply came out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-19-2015 at 11:03am
I have used CPES on my Chris Craft so am familiar with it.

Yes the CC engine is Definitely a model A, the carburetor is also different on an A..

The scarf came out good considering I have never attempted it before. There is a slight line of epoxy but it will sand out. Used T-88.

Ken J. from Maine
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 7:31am
Ken,
From the picture, it sure looks like you made a great scarf. These days with modern plys having a face veneer layer of only about 1/64", scarfs aren't easy to make and have a great looking bright finish since there's very little if any room to sand. When ply's are intended for scarfing, they are ordered with thick face veneers and not sanded at the mill. This leaves plenty of room for sanding after the scarf is glued. My Dunphy had over a 1/8" face veneer. Unfortunately we can't get ply that way. The problem is adhesive at the joint getting into the surrounding wood preventing it from taking a stain. I have tried masking at the joint with some success but the best I've had is by pre staining and sealing the face. Then, any adhesive (epoxy in my case) can be solvent wiped off before it cures. Extreme fixturing and clamping methods are needed to end up with a flat even face at the scarf. Did you hand plane your scarf? If so, you sure are better than I!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:13pm
Yes I am happy with the scarf joints. I did hand plan them, I work well with a plan and it was faster than making a jig or fixture to use a saw or router. I roughed out the pieces for the two sides of the hull so I was only making a scarf about 2' wide, they each took me less that an hour to plan.
I have a friend that restores Lyman boats for a living and he has plywood made. The stuff I got was left from an order he got a couple of years ago, the face vanier is about .055" and is about equal to the other layers. you can see from the picture well planning they are all equal. I had considered masking but forgot..

Thanks for the input.

Ken
Ken J. from Maine
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:29pm
Hi Ken, We boat mostly on Sebago. I haven't been to the Naples show for quite a few years as it falls on the same day every year that I have other obligations for, although I am hoping to make it next year. What do you need for deck hardware? We may have some items. There are quite a few Compacts in the Diaries, so that should give you a good idea what they came with. We had a '60 Atom for a short while and I'm pretty familiar with what it came with.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by kmjohn kmjohn wrote:

I have a friend that restores Lyman boats for a living and he has plywood made.
Ken

He also has the luxury of painting his lapstrakes!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:34pm
He does not use the good plywood for the lapstrakes, he uses it for the decks seats Etc.
Ken J. from Maine
kmjohn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:51pm
Bruce,

Regarding hardware for the Compact skier.
I have the following-
     4 black step pads (Correct Craft on them) no frames
     Ski tow post
     Correct Crafty name for hull (2)
     Windshield complete with side vents
     Flag pole for stern ( don't think this is original it is retractable metal pole.
     Gas tank cap

I don't have
   lifting rings
   Chalks
   Bow light
   or any cleats

I have the original gauge panel but no chock knob, ignition switch or light switches.

I have the engine complete with mounting blocks, stuffing box, shaft and prop, also old wiring harness,linkage for steering and shift.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Ken J. from Maine
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-20-2015 at 12:59pm
PM me your email and I'll send you photo of the Atom we had which will show the hardware. We have some of the stuff. Some of it, like the Nautalloy bow light show up regularly on ebay. Sometimes they go for $15-$40. Sometime $100 or more depending if more than one person wants it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic