NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

87 2001 PCM 351 Engine Rotation Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Sampson 182 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 87 2001 PCM 351 Engine Rotation Question
    Posted: November-21-2015 at 7:40pm
So I guess I preface this with noob but do the PCM engines in the 2001 series boats use reverse rotation or are they normal 351 car engines? Reason being when I go to buy parts can I just buy parts for a 1987 351 ford motor( Autozone, Advance or O'Riely's ect) . or do I need to go another route, ie, Nautique dealer or skidim etc.
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 7:59pm
Depends- what parts are you talking about?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-21-2015 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Depends- what parts are you talking about?

+1
I'd also like to say that if you shop at Autozone, there's a 99% change that you will end up with the wrong parts as well as inferior parts.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 7:40am
Don,
I see you have visited and are still be coming up with the parts you need so, I do have a suggestion. Get in touch with Zach at N3. He can help with just about any part you need and if not, point you in the correct direction. Tell us what you find out and as requested, what you need.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 9:55am
A stock 1987 351 would be reverse rotation. Some parts will be rotation specific. It is also a marine application making some parts marine specific.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 11:01am
351W parts that are the same between a standard rotation auto engine and a Marine reverse rotation engine

-Intake manifold and gaskets. Careful selection should be taken.
-Cylinder heads and gaskets. Careful selection should be taken.
-valve covers and gaskets.
-Thermostat (as long as it opens at the correct temp 140)
-Thermostat housing gasket
-valve train parts; rockers, push rods, valves, valve seals, lifters
-timing chain cover and gaskets
-timing chain and gear
-pistons, rods and rings. Careful selection should be taken.
-crankshaft and bearings. Careful selection should be taken.
-Exhaust manifold gaskets
-flywheel ring gear
-oil filter
-Belts (if you can find the correct length)
-PVC valve
-spark plugs
-spark plug wire sets
-brass freeze plug sets
-oil pump
-oil pan gasket

Reverse rotation specific parts

-rear main seal
-front seal
-harmonic balancer
-distributor gear
-camshaft
-water pump
-starter
-transmission
-prop

marine (safety) specific parts for either standard or reverse rotation

-Distributor
-Alternator
-fuel pump
-carburetor
-starter
-fuel hose
-cooling hoses

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:00pm
Thanks guys was mostly curious about the motor water pump and starter. These are all fine I was using this thread for future reference for myself. I am a very mechanical guy and really like to know things of this nature just for future maintenance issues and such. 8122pbrainard I was only using those types as examples of auto parts type stores. Trust me only thing I get from most of those stores is degreaser to wash my vehicles with and every now and again they have good deals on oil.
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Sampson 182 Sampson 182 wrote:

8122pbrainard I was only using those types as examples of auto parts type stores. Trust me only thing I get from most of those stores is degreaser to wash my vehicles with and every now and again they have good deals on oil.

There are water pumps (engine) available that are bi directional. Yes, the starter needs to be a RR. There have been several here that have gotten into trouble by purchasing the wrong rotation and guess where! Autozone!!! The post usually goes something like this: " I'm trying to start my engine and it seems to be pumping air out of the carb instead of sucking air in. What's the problem" Then the typical question is: Have you replaced the starter?" Then the typical answer is: Yes, I bought one at Autozone." BTW, if you do have a starter problem, my first suggestion is to open it up and take a look at the brushes and commutator. Many also take their's to an auto electric shop where they have the "growler" to check the armature.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mark c View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:42pm
While the crankshaft is physically identical to an automotive one, it is machined differently to keep oil from pushing past the timing cover, and rear main seals. The main and rod bearings (mains are the only ones that actually need it) are machined with the crank rotating in the opposite direction of an automotive one during machining, This cuts the wick lines in the crank backwards so the oil flows back into the engine as opposed to trying to push past the seals. Crank and oil cover seals are also specific for the direction of engine rotation.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sampson 182 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 12:58pm
If I had starter issues I would most assuredly carry it first to out local electric motor rebuilder here in town and have him check all the windings , armatures and brushes knowing now that its a reverse rotation specific starter.
1987 Ski Nautique 2001

mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 1:36pm
Originally posted by mark c mark c wrote:

While the crankshaft is physically identical to an automotive one, it is machined differently to keep oil from pushing past the timing cover, and rear main seals. The main and rod bearings (mains are the only ones that actually need it) are machined with the crank rotating in the opposite direction of an automotive one during machining, This cuts the wick lines in the crank backwards so the oil flows back into the engine as opposed to trying to push past the seals. Crank and oil cover seals are also specific for the direction of engine rotation.

Interesting! I did not know that the machining grain direction has an affect on how the oil moves around the crank.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by mamigacz mamigacz wrote:

Interesting! I did not know that the machining grain direction has an affect on how the oil moves around the crank.

Mark's explanation is a little confusing. The directional wick lines on the crank are more of an imprint. Think of the knurling process on a lathe and not machining in a grain direction.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2015 at 8:27pm
and a crank with wick lines uses the same seal as a car. (2 piece) One piece seal has the wick lines and crank is smooth.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic