Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

High RPM problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: High RPM problems
    Posted: June-05-2006 at 8:48am
My engine is running great at idle and rpm's up to 3800. After about 3800, it sputters and will not top out. Tried some carb cleaner in the fuel, ran about a 1/4 tank and now change. Watched the carb and secondaries are copening, not completely, about 90%.
Anybody have a suggestion for my next step?

The carb is a Holley four-barrel.

Slicer Al
Slicer Al
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 9:38am
check the fuel pressure and make sure the pump isn't bad first.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 9:39am
Did you recently convert to electronic ignition?
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 9:52am
-79-   Wouldn't the fuel pressure affect all RPM's?

-Nautique2001- I just bought the boat in march and the previous owner did convert to an electronic ignition, when I am not sure, somewhat recently I think.

Slicer
Slicer Al
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 9:54am
Check timing advance.
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 10:02am
The reason I brought the electronic ignition up is that I experienced the same issue when I converted. I bought the Sierra model EI from Overton's. As soon as I reached around 3,800 it would start to cut-out and lose power. Below 3,800 RPM's it was fine. Then I had a Prestolite EI installed and the problem went away. I don't know if the first EI kit was bad or it wasn't installed right.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 10:08am
No the fuel pressure will not effect all RPM ranges and shows up on high RPM or a heavy fuel demand. At slower speeds the demand isn't as great and thus a lower pressure supplies enough gas. I'm betting that as soon as you back off the gas a little it clears out and runs nornmal.

Did the engine run fine before? all the way through the rpm range? then it started acting up? if so then the timing and ignition system are fine. And someting else is causing your issue.
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:03am
If I have bad pressure, will I still be able to see gas spraying into the carb, in all four barrels?
Slicer Al
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:19am
yes, it's the pump not that it is preventing the bowls from filling up with gas. It's that the pump cannot supply the needed amount of fuel at high speeds.

Did the boat run over 3800 rpm when you first got the boat?   yes or no?

was the conv. kit installed then? yes or no?

Have you changed anything since then? What did you change?

If you answered yes to the first two questions then check the fuel pressure or you can continue to do your dog imitation and run around in circles chasing your ass, I don't care if you keep guessing at it and try ever suggesttion given but at the end of the day there is a process to diagnois (sp) engines and you have to rule out the obvious things first.
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:37am
I am ruling out the obivous, I have already done some diagonis, when I was on the lake, that is why I have asked specific questions. If you don't want to help, don't reply. No need to be rude about it. Forget asking for some help anymore.
Slicer Al
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:43am
Are the first two question yes or No?

The way it sounds is that since you have fuel at the carb and that you can see fuel going down the carb that rules out the fuel pump,... WRONG.

It sounds like someone else that played around with the timing, float level and god knows what else to fix a high idle when they where told the issue was the way they plumb the PCV (breather actually), fixed the plumbing, fixed the idle.
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:45am
Yes, first two questions are yes.
Slicer Al
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:50am
Ok, have you checked the fuel pressure and verified that you have 5 lbs going into the carb? doubt it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 12:00pm
Nick,

Hang in there. You should be able to isolate the problem. Again, my issue was electrical. The timing was all out of sorts at 3,800 RPM's. I think I had a bad electronic ignition kit. I'm not an expert but EI kits and balast resisitors have an effect on the engine if not installed correctly. My issue corrected after the Prestolite EI kit was installed by Correct Craft.

Ken
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 12:06pm
Nick,

I recovered my thread from last year when I experienced this problem. I cut and pasted the outcome. You can type High End Issue in the search box and read my thread.

THREAD FROM 2005:
I received a call from Correct Craft today. The high end issue is one of three things:

1. Electronic ignition wired to ballast.
2. Wrong coil for the electronic ignition.
3. Bad or incorrect aftermarket elect. Ign.

The EI kit that I got from Overton's has a 10 degree something or other and my boat requires a 6 degree something or other. The one I have isn't made by Prestolite which could be an issue. I will know better tomorrow. He believes that I'm only getting 10 volts to the EI not the required 12 volts. NECC will tweak and tune the carburetor too. It only has about 2 hours of use since I bought it.

Ken

Nautique2001

Posts: 398 Posted: June 22 2005 at 12:24am | IP Logged    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI, my electronic ignition kit is made by Sierra. NECC highly advised buying only the Prestolite brand EI. The rotor is completely wrong for this distributor. I will order my parts from Correct Craft now.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 12:37pm
All that stuff is fine and dandy but your all missing the point. It ran fine and would run over 3800 rpm and the conversion kit was installed at the time and he ran it that way for a period of time, now I have this issue.

So what's this mean?..... The Electronic kit was installed correctly and the timing was set within spec,.... then some time later I have an issue on the high rpm side of things.

So what causes this problem??? fuel delivery, ignition/timing.... well it doesn't idle rough and takes off ok, so the timing must be ok still, if it had moved or changed then that would have effected the base idle rpm and it's smoothness but that hasn't changed any, so most likely it's not the ignition and must be something else. So the next iteim up to check is fuel delivery and that starts by checking the pressure first, if that checks out then I need to follow the lines back to the tank and check everything until I find something out of place, fuel/water seperator. collapsed line, clogged vent in the tank.
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 1:26pm
My vote is for a fuel pump with a cracked diaphram. Pump still works but not as it should.
Fuel pump rate of delivery is listed in the manual. It was something like 8 oz of fuel in 10 second crank period. Check the manual for this info! Not the same as fuel pressure but also gives a good indication of pump condition.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 1:31pm
If the diaphram is shot then you should see some fuel in the small tube on the fuel pump, and that alone means it's leaking and needs replaced, ...now hawker are you sure you don't want to jump on the ignition bandwagon?????
skyhawkflyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skyhawkflyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 1:48pm

Nahhh, you covered that already, and it's nothing new on the boat. Not unless the engine is popping and backfiring, but hell that could be a cracked cap!
I agree, you SHOULD see some fuel. Should!!!!
I want to know how in the hell anybody can see fuel in the secondaries @ 3800 rpms! You must be pretty damm close to that carburator, and I certainly hope it isn't being revvvved that high in neutral go figure.
Could be a vacuum leak on the secondary side.... maybe related to that pcv setup.    
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Slicer Al Slicer Al wrote:

I am ruling out the obivous, I have already done some diagonis, when I was on the lake, that is why I have asked specific questions. If you don't want to help, don't reply. No need to be rude about it. Forget asking for some help anymore.

79 has been more than patient and didn't pounce early. You think your the first noob to ask why his boat doesn't run right then 79 gives a thoughtful, and historically correct reply then the recipient wants to debate the usefulness of the advise given all day instead of just doing the diagnostic and doing some basic checks? It can be fustrating to read thoughtful advice ignored nevermind have it done to oneself.

Diagonis like this?

If I have bad pressure, will I still be able to see gas spraying into the carb, in all four barrels?

Gas doesn't spray from fuel pressure, it aspirates, therefor you miss the point of the diagnostic to confirm both pressure and volume. The boat will fall flat well before you can gauge the reduction in volume, well before a 'hey, there's no gas comming out' binary condition.

Confirming fuel pressure as indicated in your first responce would be most telling of many subsystems and cuts the problem in half, its basic troubleshooting.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2006 at 11:22pm
I had read in a old motor book for auto repairs that a bad ballast could possibly not deliver enough electricity to the distributer and plugs at a higher rpm . This would rob youre engine of power . For a $5 dollar part it might be worth a try .

my .02

Pat

I can look it up again. If you would like.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 11:56am

If you don't want to help, don't reply. No need to be rude about it. Forget asking for some help anymore.

Believe it or not, 79 (and most everyone else) is trying to help. Don't take it personally. You should see it when he really goes off on someone! Inspite of that, he gives good advise and is dead on most of the time. And he is willing to help.
I agree, check the fuel pressure (at the carb or coming out of the fuel pump). If you don't have a gauge you should be able to pick up a cheapy or borrow one from one of your local auto parts stores. While you have the line off, check the flow too.
What year is your boat?
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 12:22pm
I appreciate the help and understand the harrasing, all in fun.

I do not have a pressure gauge at this time and not enough time yesterday to look for one. Did try the volume/time from the fuel pump. Had 8 oz. in ten seconds. Will find a pressure gauge next.
Slicer Al
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 12:44pm
Al, I'm assuming that you have upgraded the dist to electronic and you have already by-passed the ballast resistor, if you haven't then give pat's suggestion a try since you have to track down a gauge. Just move one of the leads to the other post so that both leads are on one post. The ballast resistor is the white ciramic piece mounted on the rear of the engine and maybe under a plastic cover by the curcuit breaker.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2006 at 3:14pm
My 2 cents. I had a similar situation last year with a "new edelbrock carb" from a previous owner. I ruled it out and when my pressure tested well I ended up replacing the entire ignition system piece by piece even though I could find nothing wrong with them. in the end it was crud in the float bowls that ended up periodically in the jets that feed the secondaries. It was fun having a whole new ignition system and everything, but since I scrapped it all for the DUI this year it was a bit of a waste.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Slicer Al View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slicer Al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 9:19am
Took a look at the ballast resistor last night. There are two ceramic peieces, each having two posts. One resistor had two wires on one post and the other had no wires. There were also three extra wires tired off, not connected to anything.
Slicer Al
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 9:38am
that's kinda odd, sounds like there is an extra resistor, can you post a picture of it, there seems to be some extra wires for some reason as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 2:57pm
here's the picture nick sent me.

It looks like everything is fine regarding the ballast resistor, there's just an extra one that was used as a back-up I guess at one point in time. The other wires are what goes to the nutral saftey switch and it looks like an automotive starter relay instead of the marine solenoid it should be. The wiring looks a little off as well to make it work, but since your not having an issue with the starter engaging, we'll leave that one alone.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 3:17pm
be carefull most likely the engine will start in gear, they must have by-passed the saftey curcuit completely.

So back to the the main problem, it looks like we still need to double check the fuel pressure first, then we can look inside of the carb for junk floating around. A little trick to flush the jets and metering block if there is dirt or something cloging or restricting the passages is to bring up the RPM and close the top butterfly so that it puts more vaccum on the fuel passages pulling out any crud that may be in there.

Disconnect throttle linkage at the carb, remove the flame arrestor, have the engine warmed up, you don't want to do this on a cold engine. then what you are going to do is open the throttle about 3/4 of the way or so then close the top butterfly with the other hand then release the butterfly and let the engine start to recover then close it again. do this a couple three or four times then let it idle and clear out.

You want to pick-up the rpm and hold it open, not wide open but 3/4 of the way, then as it is coming up on rpm you push the top butterfly close and you'll here the motor load up and the rpm to start dropping, hold it close to the point of it almost dieing then release it and let the rpm come back up, then close it again. Do this severial times if it does die on you then hold open the throttle as you crank it to get it started again.
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2006 at 5:44pm
79, looking at the ballast the pink and purple wire are connected together . Doesn't this make the ballast useless ? Shouldn't the wires be hooked to each end ? Just wondering .

Pat
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic