Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Electronic Distibutor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tedcrocker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedcrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electronic Distibutor
    Posted: December-08-2015 at 3:46pm
I own a 1978 Ski Tique with a 302 Ford RR motor.

I'd like to replace the standard stock distributor that I've installed the electronic ignition retrofit module on with a stand alone Electronic Distibutor.

Mallory makes a standard rotation 302 Ford distributor and a reverse rotation gear but the price is nearly a grand!

Anyone suggest any affordable options?

Thanks, Ted.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2015 at 4:09pm
Ted,
# 1 on the list is make sure you go with a marine rated distributor due to them being ignition (explosion) rated. If you still have the point set plate, my recommendation would be to install points in your existing distributor. The EI conversions are proven to be a problem. The next option would be to purchase a LH marine distributor and just swap the gear from your old.

Welcome to CCfan. We'd love some pictures. Also check out the site and make sure you take a look at the FAQ thread in the maintenance section. Lot's of great links in it to almost anything you need to know.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2015 at 4:15pm
Mallory sells 3 options for a marine 302 dizzy (points, magnetic, optical), and even the most expensive was just over $300 last I checked. The RH gear (if your current won't swap over) was another $30-40. Where are you looking where they add up to $1k?!

Having your current distributor rebuilt may be an option as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2015 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Where are you looking where they add up to $1k?! .

Ted,
I completely missed the 1K. WOW!! I too would like to know who want's to stick it in you!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-08-2015 at 7:22pm
For a grand he better be bringing a complete tool box,if you know what I mean
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedcrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 9:39am
The Mallorry / Sierra Electronic Distributor YLM512CV dealer cost $586.89 (Retail $800 +) , RR Gear 18-26823 daler cost $57.96 (Retail $100+) , Internaly Balasted Coil 18-5466 dealer cost $57.79 (Retail $100+)

My cost thru McDurmon= $702.71 Total.

WTF?

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 10:12am
I don't know what our site sponsor N3 can do for you, but with a 10% discount it is probably worth the call, www.skidim.com shows a distributor with RH gear for About 450   and a coil for about 50 IF you search the dark web (other inboard sites) for a discount code you could have them shipped to you for under 500... assuming skidims site is current.   

It is still not a cheap upgrade, a new points distributor from ebasicpower is less than half that
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 10:12am
Ted,
You've stated dealer costs. Are you looking at purchasing through a CC dealer? What's with the Sierra brand? Their product line consists mainly of poor quality Chinese junk! I suggest more research.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 10:15am
Wouldn't a DUI be about $400 with the gear?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 10:58am
There are options out there he just has to do some homework. There is a new one on eBay right now for 320,a DUI is 385 at Summit both would require a gear change. It seems the original Mallory has been discontinued
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedcrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 2:03pm
I own a small marina ( coreylakemarina.com ) we do only basic service and we don't floor plan any boats or motor lines (yet) . Our focus is mostly dock slip rental (45), boat rentals, storage & winterization and convenience store with beer -wine - liquor - package food and hand dipped ice cream.

I have an account with Sierra, McDurmon, Land & Sea ect. that why I quoted the dealer costs on these items.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 3:32pm
Checked out your site, good luck with the new Biz!!

Saw this pic on your site, do tell, was that SV211 able to get all those skiers/boarders up, counting maybe 16+, maybe half on wakeboards / half on ski's??

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 4:10pm
no chance
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 4:29pm
Maybe over on the Mastercraft thread where everything is possible.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 8:15pm
I cannot find the picture of Hollywood pulling Tim's BF but I'm thinking it's just taking more people to pull it
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
NorrisSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NorrisSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 9:09pm
I also heard the Mallory YLM512DV was discontinued but it did include the RR gear. I was able to track one down in August for around $380.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-09-2015 at 9:51pm
Ted,
Unless I missed it, I haven't seen why you want to replace the distributor??? Have you done performance upgrades to the engine. If not, I'm very curious.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedcrocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2015 at 10:38am
As far as the ski picture.....

They actually pulled the 211 with another boat - I believe an older Malibu.

This is a long standing rivalry between my home lake Fishers Lake and and the lake my marina is on Corey Lake - lakes are on either side of Three Rivers Michigan.

My home lake, Fishers, is blue collar and Corey is silver spoon. Battle of the haves and haves not , lol..

Fishers has owned this rivalry for years until summer of 2014 when Corey leaped ahead by successfully towing 16 skiers late in the season giving Fishers no time to counter. So we at Fishers responded by successfully towing 18 skiers across the frozen lake at around new years with a snowmobile (it actually took several sleds to get the group moving before detaching).

Corey Lake responded this past season with an attempt to tow 20 skiers and chose to do so right in front of my Marina for some reason???

Anyhow, They successfully towed 16 - 18 of the 20 a short distance depending on who you believe. As much as I hate to admit it - It's a great feat to pull off.

Fishers is planning a comeback......stay tuned!

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2015 at 8:04pm
I've had both the pertronix and the Mallory drop in. I can't say the performance is any better, seems to sound smoother above 5k but I'm already there in bursts
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2015 at 9:29pm
Quite a concert!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:03am
did he just say the nautique needed an older malibu to get it done?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2015 at 12:48am
Yea and the space shuttle used disposable boosters too,your point?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic