NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Dolly Plans Wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Dolly Plans Wanted
    Posted: December-13-2015 at 3:52pm
I'm starting to gather plans in my head for the construction of a set of boat dollies. My trailer continues to be a piece of $&@?€££|>>|£¥ so I'd like to have something I can use for storage (has to roll on castors) and also gel work on the hull.

I have seen many pictures here of boats on dollies and I think a lot of people could benefit by sharing ideas. When I build a set, I promise to do a tutorial (mostly of my mistakes) to post here.

In the meantime, whatcha got? Mars, I know I've seen some nice sets under your (my) promo.

Chris
1999 Ski Nautique 196
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by Frankenotter Frankenotter wrote:

I'm starting to gather plans in my head for the construction of a set of boat dollies. My trailer continues to be a piece of $&@?€££|>>|£¥ so I'd like to have something I can use for storage (has to roll on castors) and also gel work on the hull.

I have seen many pictures here of boats on dollies and I think a lot of people could benefit by sharing ideas. When I build a set, I promise to do a tutorial (mostly of my mistakes) to post here.

In the meantime, whatcha got? Mars, I know I've seen some nice sets under your (my) promo.

Chris

Better check with Chris!!!
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

This big girl broke my go-to dolly which doesn't surprise me after seeing how much wet foam came out!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 4:36pm
These are in Petes back yard. The long cradles like Chris have can limit running gear access. (thats what Im always working on)

link> http://maine.craigslist.org/bar/5358317217.html
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 8:53pm
I had to make this from some scrap lumber to get my Waverunner in the basement for the winter. It won the Fred and Wilma award for design excellence. You are free to copy the design.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 11:16pm
I have a (2). They came from a closed boat factory, it's what they built the boats on after pulling from the mold. They are 2"x4" steel tube in a 4'x8' rectangle that is the base with casters at each corner. Each corner has a 1' post that is the support for the 4"x4"x10' bunk rails. They work pretty good (I had a 176 on one to,do some work), the issue with working on the bottom and running gear is somewhat of a pain at times. The alternative is to use two separate carts. Yardarm used to make some nice ones, about 2'x4' each. The thing to be careful when using two separate carts is the front one will try to "walk out" when rolling it around a lot. Not like it shoots out, but you have to watch for it. I have also seen the base made in an "I" shape instead of a rectangle which allows access all the way to the keel, but on a ski boat the bunks need to sit higher to clear underwater gear. I may have a picture somewhere with the 176 on it. I may be interested in selling one?
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2015 at 11:59pm
We've built two for different purposes. The first was built by my dad to store his Chris Craft project. We had a local shop weld some brackets, bolted them to a few 2x12x12's with a 2x6 top and cheap home depot carpet. He used three sets of casters so you can imagine how much of PITA it was to move around the shop. Takes two guys and lots of caster kicking to get it to move.

It did a great job of holding the boat in place for a few years and has since been put back into commission with the Riviera restoration after removing the center casters which helped but it's still a two person job to move. Overall, it's very stout and does a really nice job for storing a boat you don't need to move often.

The second was built to keep a boat at our boat club. This design was robbed from other club members and worked really well for anything up to a TSC hull. Larger casters really help with rough concrete and allow me to move the boat by myself.   I copied the bunk dimensions from a #3 trailer, used big casters, some old lumber and stage carpet from the shop.

Tried to use this one for the Riviera but the bottom/cross support split in half. I'll rebuild these someday with two 2x8's glued together and try to mount the casters directly under the vertical supports. Overall, much better design for moving the boat on a frequent basis. Only draw back is as mentioned above, limited access to the hull and running gear. Not a problem in my application as we have the lift outside the club.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 12:20am
Looks almost like N3 used a trailer frame for theirs,and must move it around with a forklift

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 7:35am
Made from old machinery bits and scrap. Not very pretty and is treated badly :)

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 8:15am
Mark,
I don't think that would hold up to your tough Australian trailer requirements!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 8:26am
Pete it is somewhat over engineered but would need electric brakes to meet Australian ADR trailer requirements
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 10:59am
Gary, those are CC factory dollies. Nautiques of Orlando and SECC also have a couple. TRBenj's new BFN rig reminds me of them.

Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 6:05pm
Is anyone in Maine that could pick those CL dollies up for me?

Even better question, is anyone in Maine heading to the Midwest with room for boat dollies.

Chris I like your design. Everything looks good except the gel repair is right in the middle (underside) of the hull. Having the bunks run the length of the boat won't work. I might have to modify them into a dual set.
1999 Ski Nautique 196
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 6:19pm
Jeff Toro made a basic set using 2x4 stock and casters.
Think his un was 77 Nautique?? He did a great thread on re-painting the 77' graphics, the dollies should show up there.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2015 at 7:05pm
Are these the ones your thinking of ? Even a wood butcher like me could make them. I'd build them up real high so I could stand up and work on it you never know who will take pictures----

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic