NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 17>
Author
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 1:59pm
Is everyone still using photo bucket or is there a new favorite? The pay by month is kinda a bummer
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2020 at 2:48pm
Pictures are going right over from a PC no need for me  to resize anyway.  imgbox is a good one to use if needed
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2020 at 1:31pm
I have some pictures of the boat I want to upload but more importantly...

Turns out our previous sales manager, Luke,, is selling a house to Leo's daughter in Vero Beach. The owner of Miami Nautique, Henrik, contacted him and told him about #1, he reached out to Leo's daughter and she said talked to Leo and he'd love to see the boat!

He's 95 years old and apparently doing great. I'm going to ask him if he would want to do a little video interview and ask him some questions to fill in the blanks.

If he agrees to this, what questions do you guys think we should ask?

Art, I left you a voicemail a while back but we should call and talk about this.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2020 at 10:14pm
Our company produces virtual events so I can help organize a virtual interview if you can get this scheduled.  He would just need access to a computer or ipad with internet.  

CCFan's first web stream? There are some some cool things we could do with this technology. Members can submit questions live via the Q&A feature.  
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2020 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Hussler Hussler wrote:

I have some pictures of the boat I want to upload but more importantly...

Turns out our previous sales manager, Luke,, is selling a house to Leo's daughter in Vero Beach. The owner of Miami Nautique, Henrik, contacted him and told him about #1, he reached out to Leo's daughter and she said talked to Leo and he'd love to see the boat!

He's 95 years old and apparently doing great. I'm going to ask him if he would want to do a little video interview and ask him some questions to fill in the blanks.

If he agrees to this, what questions do you guys think we should ask?

Art, I left you a voicemail a while back but we should call and talk about this.

Huss, do you know whether you called my cell, or the landline?  I rarely answer the landline unless I recognize the number.  I will put the Miami Nautiques number in the cell so that it will come up. 
"Art"
jimrogers74 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimrogers74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-25-2020 at 7:21am
What an incredible read!

jimrogers74
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 9:24pm

Just a quick test post
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 9:28pm
Looks good.  
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 9:36pm

This is the engine that was taken down in the back of the truck, it's a 272 "marine block", looks extremly original. Paint looks original too, I didnt know early Intercepters were blue. I'm going to contact Leo and see if he remembers what color the original was.
I soaked the cylinders in oil before I went on vacation, gotta give it a compression test. Calling this one "Blue".
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 9:42pm

This one is a 1956 292, its built from what seems at least 5 different engines, calling it "Ugly" 

I still have to talk to Alan and see what he thinks of the two motors. I'm probably going to compression test them tomorrow.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 9:46pm
I'm looking for an early gen 1 Nautique trailer, if anybody knows of one for sale in florida, I'd really appreciate it. Doesn't have to be in perfect shape.

Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2020 at 10:04pm
I have a 1964 Gen 1 center deck boat.  289 Interceptor Eaton marine conversion.  The engine color is that green color as shown for the raw water pump on the second engine.  I have a lot of Gen 1 documentation, too.  Construction of my boat and SN#1 is very similar.   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 6:31am

This is the engine that was taken down in the back of the truck, it's a 272 "marine block", looks extremly original. Paint looks original too, I didnt know early Intercepters were blue. I'm going to contact Leo and see if he remembers what color the original was.

Jim,
They weren't the Ford blue that's on it now. The Interceptor blue was more of an aqua color. You can see some of the original on the intake manifold. 

It's good that it has a BW Velvet drive. The Dearbomatic Eaton versions can be problematic.

It is missing the aft Carter YH carb but they can be found on Ebay. 

Interceptor did not use a "marine" block. The "Y" block was Fords first V8 after the flat head 8. It was called the "Y" because of the deep skirt around the crank making the block look like a Y. The first ones were 239 cu. in. then 256, 272, 292, and finally 312.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 6:47am
After lengthy 'research' I had this paint mixed which came from a we'll-protected portion of an original oil pan. Happy to supply the paint code.

1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 7:06am
Brian,
I'll need that code one of these days. You and Reid are the only ones I know of that got the color correct. Some have used Sea Foam Green or Alpine Green thinking it's correct but are mistaken.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 7:33am
As far as I know Ski Nautique’s were not twin engine boats. Why buy eBay parts use that second Franken motor for parts that are needed 😉
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 7:48am
I have what I think is a 3DV. It is for sale. Not sure if it would fit or not.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 8:51am
I looked up the color in one of the Eaton Marine manuals I have.  The engine color for the Interceptor for their factory approved engine enamel was part number 1015705.  Not sure if this helps, or if the number can be referenced and decoded, but that is the information I have on the color.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 9:00am
Here was my plan for those 2 engines.  I bought "Blue" which is a 272 simply for all the Interceptor parts.  It is a pretty complete set up including a velvet drive and a very hard to find bell housing to adapt the VD to the Y block.  That motor is a running motor but is only 160 hp so my original intent was to bore it to 292 but I have since found that boring to 292 would leave very thin cylinder walls so it is doable but not recommended.

Brings us to "Ugly" which is a 292 with a Dearbo trans that came out of my Collegian.  That motor is suspect because the casting/freeze plugs are popped out BUT if it checks out I planned to use that block along with the velvet drive and most of the Interceptor parts off of Blue to put together a complete engine and trans.  

If Ugly doesn't check out then Jim would have to find a suitable 292 block but he has all the other marine components required which is the bigger battle.  I have been told to try to find an old truck block to work with as they should have had anti freeze in the cooling system and there should then be less internal corrosion, many of the older marine blocks with raw water cooling suffer from scaling and are not suitable for oversize boring due to thinner wall thickness.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2020 at 10:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Interceptor did not use a "marine" block. The "Y" block was Fords first V8 after the flat head 8. It was called the "Y" because of the deep skirt around the crank making the block look like a Y. The first ones were 239 cu. in. then 256, 272, 292, and finally 312.

I searched online and found that the casting number on Blue denotes it is specifically a Y block cast for marine use. Could be misguided

http://yblockguy.com/identify_y-block.htm#:~:text=The%20best%20way%20to%20identify,caps%3B%20all%20others%20are%20EBU.

I spoke with Leo last night and sent him a picture of Ugly, he said he's fairly certain the color was grey, which was surprising to me. He saw the green but didn't recognize it.

I also got two conflicting pics of the dash, which I will upload once I uncover the boat again, very interesting.

I'm starting to see Alan's struggle with a restoration, what should be considered original if it was a prototype that was modified by the guy that designed it?

ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 2:12pm

I'm looking for an early gen 1 Nautique trailer, if anybody knows of one for sale in florida, I'd really appreciate it. Doesn't have to be in perfect shape.

Huss, that would have been a #2 trailer.  There is one at the factory from under the '61 that is there.  I could probably get some photos of it if that would help.  Marketing has decided that just because it has 10-inch 6 ply tires on it that is is inadequate to transport the boat on, so they had a new trailer built for it.  I am opposed to them having broken up the "package," but there is nothing that I can do about it.  Any trailer earlier than a 1980 will be almost "correct" for it.  What is under it now?  (email me a photo if you like)
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

Huss, that would have been a #2 trailer.  There is one at the factory from under the '61 that is there.  I could probably get some photos of it if that would help.  Marketing has decided that just because it has 10-inch 6 ply tires on it that is is inadequate to transport the boat on, so they had a new trailer built for it.  I am opposed to them having broken up the "package," but there is nothing that I can do about it.  Any trailer earlier than a 1980 will be almost "correct" for it.  What is under it now?  (email me a photo if you like)

I'm sorry, I have made a stupid MISTAKE.  All Ski Nautiques require the trailer that Correct Craft called the #3.  What's wrong with me?? The #2 trailers go with the 16 foot boats.  17s get a #3!!!!!

"Art"
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by juniorwoody juniorwoody wrote:

Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 8:05pm

Art, would this be what I'm looking for?

Whats the location?

I have some videos to upload, both engines don't just start, they RUN!

I've become heavily inclined to setup Blue for a test fit and run. 100-130psi all cylinders, started up nice. It also has all the more modern Interceptor parts, water pump, velvet drive, oil pump, distributer etc. I could easily swap the dual carb from Ugly.

Removing the valve covers on Ugly showed me that block has a lot hiding: mismatched pushrods and 3 of them bent. The crank also doesn't look aligned with the timing cover seal, at all. I think some core shift. It also has erradic compression, 90-150psi. I am going to tear it down and check it out but I think Blue is going in the boat, for now.

I'm still open to engine suggestions if there's something in the Florida/Georgia area that I could pick up.

I have been using Instagram lately to upload stuff like that, you can find me at jim_huss if you'd like to see the progress there as well.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by bwinn bwinn wrote:

The "DV" stands foe deep "V". The size of the trailer would be OK but the layout of the bunks would not. 

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 9:15pm

Art, would this be what I'm looking for?

Whats the location?

I have been using Instagram lately to upload stuff like that, you can find me at jim_huss if you'd like to see the progress there as well.

A 3DV would not be the best choice for a trailer.  On a 3DV the bunks run more parallel to each other for quite a distance forward.  If the SN was to be misloaded too far left or right, it could fall down into the wishbones on the trailer and damage the chine.Did the boat come with an existing trailer?  I know it wouldn't be the original one, but any 1970s #3 would work.  Or you could modify the 3DV by taking out the risers.  The 3DV was built for an 18' Southwind  or a direct-drive Barefoot.  Both boats are deep Vs.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

As far as I know Ski Nautique’s were not twin engine boats. Why buy eBay parts use that second Franken motor for parts that are needed 😉

Just for general information, we built many 24' San Juans with twins.  I believe that all of the Sea Nautiques were twin.  I think we built all of 8 or 10 total of those. There were two, possibly three Fish Nautique twins, I know of one built with PCM V6s and one the 302s.  The V6 one still exists.  It took some innovative tools and talent to change the inboard side spark plugs in the 302 one.  The exhaust manifolds were all of 3 inches apart!
No twin Ski Nautiques that I know of.  We played around with the idea of twin props on one engine, but it never came to fruition. 
"Art"
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2020 at 10:14pm
The trailer that is under it now is a generic load right in good condition, just doesn't look the part.

If somebody wanted to trade I'd be more than happy too. New lights, tires, trailer jack etc. Could fit a 20ft boat
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 11:06am
A nice update, Keith Rust, whom doesn't frequent the forum much, offered to donate a #3 trailer. Will have to work out the details on that, but that was really cool of him.

I did some measurements, and neither engine has motor mounts that match up to the stringers, pretty weird.

I was thinking to myself, I'm trying to keep this thing as original as possible, but then it hit me: why worry about something trivial like motor mounts for originality if I can just ask the guy that built it if I can change it?

It is a prototype, and he is the designer!

Below is a transcribe of what Leo said to me. Pretty awesome/humbling

I have a 292 Interceptor, rated at 185hp (built in i think 1962) . If thats what you believe was in the boat, thats what I'll install.

Leo: " I appreciate your efforts to keep this Nautique as original as possible. However, only the shape and design of fiberglass hull itself was unique. If the engine you have is the original and is 60 years old, regrettably, that engine may be rusted or corroded from the inside out. Did the person you purchased from have any info on this engine. However, if this engine runs, its surely worth putting back in the boat and using it as is."

I'm having trouble finding motor mounts that fit where you cut the spots on the stringers, I'm not sure what you would have used.

Leo: "I would have use what ever was necessary to have the drive coupling on the rear of the engine meet properly the coupling on the propeller shaft."

With your blessing, I'd like to move the front mounts of the engine towards the bow. This would fix the motor mount dilemma and , theoretically, lower the vibration of the motor due to having a wider stance on the stringers. Please let me know if this is okay with you?

Leo: "This would be fine with me."

I figure since this boat was your idea, and is a prototype, any changes that are made to it that have your approval still maintains its integrity as being a piece designed by you.

Leo: "As I said above, only the design of the hull was my original design."

Kinda funny, 60 years after it was built and I can still request a "change order"!

Leo : "Ha Ha yes you can."

"And I hope to still be around to drive that first Nautique when you are finished.   Leo"

That last part hits pretty hard.

Gonna have to double time it.
Fabcon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fabcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2020 at 12:14pm
Great updates can’t wait to hear this is back on the water
1976 Ski Nautique 351 Escort
1984 Barefoot Nautique (Parting Out)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 910111213 17>
  Share Topic