NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 17>
Author
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of the brackets you're looking for. I have a pair that don't match the split windshield, but I think might be for the single piece.

Craig this is the best photo I have right now, the brackets in the photo are broken so I do need a pair if yours match I'll take em.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by ScottZ ScottZ wrote:

I have located the windshield. It does not have the brackets or the gasket. I will be happy to donate it to the cause. In the meantime I will look around to see if I can locate some brackets.

thanks Scott, I knew you'd come through. No big hurry to get it here so I'll be in touch to see if maybe we can get it to a reunion in the near future so I can pick it up. Probably a bit of a pain to box up and ship.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 4:49pm
I'm confused which windshield and brackets are in question... Single pane plexi or dual pane glass? I thought you were searching for the latter, Alan?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I'm confused which windshield and brackets are in question... Single pane plexi or dual pane glass? I thought you were searching for the latter, Alan?

single pane plexi windshield is going back on
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 9:05pm
I can post a picture of what the brackets look like. I have a 64 ski Nautique with the one piece plexi windshield.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 12:37pm
Those brackets in your picture look more like the brackets for my dual-pane glass windshield. The set I have are shorter than those. I can't seem to find a picture of them. I'll have to dig them out at home and get one.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 1:18pm
Scott, if you're coming to Atl or somewheres close too before the 13th I can get the windshield from you and hand deliver it to Alan at the River Ruckus. Better yet......Get it to LaGrange and Jackie can bring it with him as he's headed there too.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 2:23pm
Tim's a sand panda you're not going with 2 piece glass.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 3:01pm
The two piece glass is pretty good looking you have to admit
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 3:06pm
And it's what it had on it originally...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 3:10pm
I don't really have a preference on the windshields... I like them both. I think my '67 with the single plane is a fine looking boat. My vote would be to put whatever was original back on. If you're not sure which was original, then you can't go wrong either way.

Does a sand panda live in the desert?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 3:50pm
i dunno
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 5:08pm
After Alan posted he was going one piece, I went bad and looked at the pictures. It does look like it did have the two piece originally and confirmed with the filled holes Alan found in the deck. Even though I'm the original guy, in this case I don't feel the one piece will do any harm. Alan just needs to destroy that one picture showing the two piece!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 5:21pm
Pete just found the solution to the windshield dilemma...

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

btmachone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btmachone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 5:25pm
I don't know if it checks out our not, but stumbled accross what is supposed to be a 312 Y block on Ebay today.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-Y-BLOCK-312-interceptor-ENGINE-complete-marine-with-transmission-transom-/201530973707?hash=item2eec2e9e0b:g:HmcAAOSwJb9WtAmb&vxp=mtr
Ben
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2016 at 2:56am
Alan the windshield is being brought to you at the River Ruckus by Jackie Deen. I hope it will help you of with the project!
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2016 at 7:56am
Originally posted by ScottZ ScottZ wrote:

Alan the windshield is being brought to you at the River Ruckus by Jackie Deen. I hope it will help you of with the project!

I'd like to get some measurements off the windshield while we are at the river. Jackie, please look me up if I don't happen to see you. Thanks!
"Art"
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 9:30pm
Hello, been away a bit...
Have rejected several 312, but have what I think is a worthy candidate. The biggest issue is porosity through the cylinder walls. (and into the water jackets). Since most boats don't use anti-freeze (which also inhibits rust), and boat owners often 'forget' to drain the blocks for winter, the automotive blocks seem to be in better shape, all other things the same.
As for rotation, I believe the standard rotation (counter-clockwise when viewed from astern) is the direction we are going. This is helpful in a couple key area 1) The rear main seals are directional, unless using rope. Also, the direction-specific cam was gear-driven on rr engines, then there is the starter, etc.
As discussed, the 312 did have main bearing issues. This was mostly due to an incorrect main bolt spec by Ford, at 125#. When later revised to 90#, many issues, including web-cracking were solved.
We will both pressure-test the cooling passages, and sonic the cylinder wall thickness before moving forward.
Looking forward to assisting with this very-cool project.
Brian
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 11:37am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I have always planned to put a standard rotation (left hand prop) motor in the boat.
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 12:01am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I have always planned to put a standard rotation (left hand prop) motor in the boat.

Will that be a problem if you intend to use the Velvet Drive that came off my spare RR engine? I planned on running up north and getting it as soon as I get back from Seattle on the 30th.
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2016 at 6:36am
Originally posted by john b john b wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Will that be a problem if you intend to use the Velvet Drive that came off my spare RR engine? I planned on running up north and getting it as soon as I get back from Seattle on the 30th.

No, the Velvets will run ether direction. All that's needed is indexing the fluid pump on the forward end of the trans. Indexing changes the suction port position to the pumps impeller/gear. (its a gear type pump) so the fluid is ported to the suction side of the impeller/gear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
surroundsound64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surroundsound64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 12:50am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Wow. Amazing find. This is essentially the trump card for all future SN or CC conversations.

"Oh I have a SN. Yeah, the first one. Ever."

Without a doubt. This is awesome.
1981 Ski Nautique
2000 SAN

Looking for a 2000-2006 SAN
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:20pm
Alan maybe junk but this is not too far from Tamworth. If there is anything there worth saving let me know.

Y Block parts
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Netdewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Netdewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2016 at 2:42am
This is amazing. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001, 880 hours
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2016 at 12:41am
Great read.Thanks for posting this story and journey thru CC history.
my 1980 SN is mad at my 2009 HD
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 6:13pm
Hey gang, No progress to report on the boat but I had the pleasure of exchanging emails with Leo last week, He came across a magazine article with some more early inboard history that is an interesting read so I thought I'd post it. Hopefully it's all legible and I have it in the right order!

Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2016 at 9:04pm
Great article thanks for sharing.

Art spoke about a lot of this at this year's St. John's river run. I was amazed at the stories he was telling. He spoke about working at Mr. Shirley's Ski School and one day the Nautique was taken apart and Mr. Shirley wanted Art's help to make it into a different kind of boat. That was the first Master Craft.

Very cool history lesson.

Donald
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 9:55am
Charlie was going through some old Water Skier magazines and found this ad in the 1961 July/Aug.

Damn! I've turned it rightside up twice and it still loads upside down!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 10:37am
Pete, my computer doesn't work well when I turn it upside down!
"Art"
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:09am
Great article Alan. Enjoyed reading it. Interesting the age old contrast between ski tractors and having to have a boat like the new GS200. Saw someone complain about CC introducing a new 100,000 boat and why don't they make a more basic less expensive one. Cranky respondents said, if you don't want a good boat, don't buy a CC. That wasn't the point tho. The point is make a high quality boat, without all the bells and whistles, features, speakers and goofy graphics. At least that's what I took the OPs comment to mean. As little following as 3 event has any more tho, I guess that is probably not economically viable.

Here you go pete.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 17>
  Share Topic