NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Leo Bentz, Ski Nautique and Boat #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 17>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:22am
Yea Larry, to quote Rob Shirley near the end of the article "Personally, I think it's gone too far."
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:45am
75 T, I couldn't agree more. Back when a stereo was the only option we offered, I would tell people, "If you want tunes, take your boombox with you." I beat the "ski tractor" drum for many, many years to no avail. The first attempt was the Skier and then the Ski Tique, which wasn't the answer. Trouble was that the manufactured cost wasn't all that much below a Ski Nautique. All I want is a hull, engine, and controls. Hopefully someday I'll get my '63 SN put together and I'll have just that.
"Art"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Here you go pete.

Thanks Larry.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 12:10pm
Art, I could not agree more. I am an owner of a '64 Ski Nautique. Basic boat, good low wake for skiing, (yes I am still skiing behind it), nothing extra. 3/8" plywood floor that flexes in some parts of the boat. No foam, which probably saved the stringers. Everything was designed to reduce weight. Mine has a fiberglass motor box, which I think came from a Mustang, and they cut the front off to fit. (don't sit on the motor box, it will not hold your weight well). I have done a few things to the '64 to make it more practical, but you will not notice that from just looking at it. (that is unless you know what to look for) Just a good basic boat for skiing. Regarding the seats, you get what you get; a front and rear bench seat with throw cushions and a back pad. Just an honest boat, built for skiing.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 12:23pm
Does yours have the Gemmer mechanical steering box with the link that runs through the bilge to the tiller arm, or does it have the Teleflex cable steering? '64 was when they changed that, and I think it must have been a running change, as I have seen '64s both ways.

I have often thought about creating a thread on CCF to keep a roster of owners of First-Generation Ski Nautiques, as I call them, which covers from the Leo Bentz days through 1969. I probably have been aware of at least a couple of dozen that are still in service, but haven't kept a list.
I had a '65 which I bought from Leo. That was what started me on this whole path that eventually led to working for CC.    
"Art"
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by ArtCozier ArtCozier wrote:

I have often thought about creating a thread on CCF to keep a roster of owners of First-Generation Ski Nautiques, as I call them, which covers from the Leo Bentz days through 1969. I probably have been aware of at least a couple of dozen that are still in service, but haven't kept a list.
I had a '65 which I bought from Leo. That was what started me on this whole path that eventually led to working for CC.    

Done! Thread started in "General Discussion"
Old skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 1:06pm
My '64 has the Teleflex cable steering. Still the original cable. Could have pictures this weekend if you need them.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Old skier Old skier wrote:

My '64 has the Teleflex cable steering. Still the original cable. Could have pictures this weekend if you need them.

William - always shocked to see another 64 Ski Nautique like my Dad's especially when it is in Iowa! Same color, same "vent" configuration, even looks like you had to replace the steering wheel about the same time Dad's broke (I found pictures of yours on FB). Very Cool!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

Done! Thread started in "General Discussion"

Wow, thanks, Steve. It would have taken me hours to figure out how to do that. I'll make an entry on behalf of Correct Craft for the '61. Encourage those you know who have them to post photos, too.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 3:47pm
Interesting! Hope to see a photo when you get them.
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Yea Larry, to quote Rob Shirley near the end of the article "Personally, I think it's gone too far."

I wonder what he'd say today with the 100K ++++ CC's!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ScottZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 5:25pm
Another source for pulling information on the first generation ski nautiques is from the diaries section of this web site. I have all the info. and some pictures of my father's 1964 listed there.
Scott Zuelzke
Lake Mitchell , AL

1984 Ski Nautique       
1972 Skier
john b View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I wonder what he'd say today with the 100K ++++ CC's!!!

You mean the "mid price" models?
1970 Mustang "Theseus' paradox"
If everyone else is doing it, you're too late!

fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 9:13pm
No new information to the first Ski Nautique? Have you done anything to it? It will get restored right or is it in too bad a shape.

FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2016 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

No new information to the first Ski Nautique? Have you done anything to it? It will get restored right or is it in too bad a shape.

Oh trust me, Alan will get it restored right. Just will take some time getting the correct parts.
1972 Mustang
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 10:19am
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

No actual work progress yet but I've been sourcing parts. Unfortunately when The Hurricane lost it's motor this spring that took precedence over #1 plus I need to get Todd W's boat finished up over the winter then #1 will be next in line. Too many projects and not enough garage space!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 12:12pm
             I love the enthusiasm about this project. Everyone please be patient, I know that Alan is accumulating critical parts and information for this while working on his other projects. that were in place before #1 came into his hands. When he is done with the boat, it will be done right. Rush jobs often turn into bad results. If you've seen the before-and-after photos of his Hurricane you will become a believer! Encouragement is always welcome; demands not so much!
"Art"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 1:32pm
Alan.... if and when the #1 should ever make a trip to the BBC in the future, you can count me in for some fun for a couple days. Would be a great guys/motor head weekend and a lot could be accomplished to help you work on this project. Just an idea, but a welcomed one by many I'm sure.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Alan.... if and when the #1 should ever make a trip to the BBC in the future, you can count me in for some fun for a couple days. Would be a great guys/motor head weekend and a lot could be accomplished to help you work on this project. Just an idea, but a welcomed one by many I'm sure.

I was thinking of just dropping it off and picking it up when you guys are finished!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2016 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I was thinking of just dropping it off and picking it up when you guys are finished!

I pretty much did that with one last weekend... they did a pretty good job but they didn't finish the wiring before the sun came out and everyone went skiing. If that hurricane just stuck around one more day .... I could have driven the boat home (through the floodwaters).
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eeforme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eeforme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 10:46pm
Thought some of you might like to know that Leo's wife passed yesterday. They were married for 64 years.

http://funeralinnovations.com/obituary/180585/Mary-Bentz/
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 2:16pm
alan,hello ,saw mention of mechanical steering box.do you need one for project.i have one from a 1963 classic.(steering box steering wheel shaft, arm,shaft that goes from front to back. .dan monahan in ohio
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 2:22pm
Hey, Dan,,,,, If Alan doesn't want it, I would be interested. The worm gear in mine is all pitted from being in water for years. Is the pipe that goes from front to rear in the bilge galvanized 1/2" pipe, or is it brass? The one in my '63 is galvanized, and I'd like to have a brass one. That was more often found on the earlier models.
Art
"Art"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 5:21pm

Is the pipe that goes from front to rear in the bilge galvanized 1/2" pipe, or is it brass? The one in my '63 is galvanized, and I'd like to have a brass one. That was more often found on the earlier models.
Art

Art,
The brass on earlier models must have been on the higher end boats. My 54 Atom is galvanized. Is yours failing/rusting?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 6:39pm
Pete, the boat in which I encountered the brass steering rod was actually a Leo Bentz hull that I bought from the first owner for use in my ski school. The first owner bought it as an unfinished boat, so it's possible that he installed the brass rod, or that Leo used brass.

My '63 has a galvanized pipe rod, and it has surface rust on it but is structurally good. The Bentz boat had two cutless bearings glassed onto the bottom fore and aft of the engine to guide the rod.. It depended on the flexibility of the 1/2" pipe to follow the arc of the tiller arm.

I have considered using a length of 5/8" O.D. stainless rail tubing if/when I ever get the boat put back together.
"Art"
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 7:18pm
hello art ,rod i think is galvanized .if no responce from alan will let you know.you are in fla ?
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2017 at 7:42pm
People that live so far north should get out once and awhile,it's a big country out there lots to see and experience. Leo's school was on Miami Beach which happens to be surrounded by salt water. Leo being so far ahead of everyone not only invented the Nautique but in fact invented the Nautique Coastal Edition at the same time,hence the brass used instead of iron pipe,

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by 93/70 ccpb 93/70 ccpb wrote:

alan,hello ,saw mention of mechanical steering box.do you need one for project.i have one from a 1963 classic.(steering box steering wheel shaft, arm,shaft that goes from front to back. .dan monahan in ohio

Dan Thanks for thinking about me but I'm all set.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by 93/70 ccpb 93/70 ccpb wrote:

hello art ,rod i think is galvanized .if no responce from alan will let you know.you are in fla ?

Yes, in Orlando, FL. Since I already have a galvanized rod, and it would be difficult (and expensive) to ship so would pass on it. Being from a 16' boat it's too short for a SN anyway. Do you have the steering wheel, and if so, can you post a photo of it? I sent you my email in an earlier PM to save you the hassle of posting a photo here.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2018 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

It's interesting that the prototype was patterned off a Higgins even having the port side helm. I wonder if the Y block was a lefty?

ATTN: Keith,
You must put a sticky on this one!!!

Pete, I was looking in this post for something in particular and happened to read your post. Leo was seeking high efficiency in his ski school operation, and had two docks that he used, each of which lent itself better to docking with each "hand" rotation and helm, so he built boats both ways to make it easier/faster for his drivers to dock, change riders if applicable, and get another skier on the water asap.

Art
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011 17>
  Share Topic