Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet drive

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ameicanskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ameicanskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet drive
    Posted: January-08-2016 at 4:04pm
I have a 64 American Skier that I acquired without a transmission. I am looking to buy a velvet drive but I am unsure which ratio to purchase. The engine is a 260ci interceptor, I am unsure of the prop (if it is important I can check). Im pretty sure it came with an eaton originally but someone has installed 15 degree wooden wedges under the motor mounts. This leads me to believe it was swapped to a velvet drive? I also don't have transmission mounts, is anyone aware of a source for these? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 4:37pm
Jim Harris had VD last week.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 4:46pm
Josh,
Bruce has a great suggestion to call Jim Harris. He seems to be the one with lots of vintage Interceptor parts.

You would need a 1:1 trans. The engine mounts have no bearing on what trans was in it nor what you want to install. The output shaft center lines are the same on any straight 1:1. The wood wedges under the mounts are there for alignment of the engine to the prop shaft and are original.

Welcome to CCfan. We'd love to see the project.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 5:32pm
Hopefully you have the bellhousing with you, as that engine needs the 5-bolt bellhousing
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2016 at 6:32pm
I probably have the transmission and mounts for that setup as well - the mounts came on an interceptor, however the boat was so far from original I would have to confirm they are correct by looking at some pictures in the diaries
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 4:40pm
Good afternoon,
I have a 70 Barracuda, and had a question about the wooden wedges you made reference to. My wooden wedges split last season, and I am seeking advice on how they are replaced. Are they merely wooden wedges resting on the platform (excuse my lack of nautical terms) or is there a pocket that they slide into and the wedge just sits above and the motor mount is lag bolted there. Attached a few pictures to show the situation. Thanks for any help.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 5:21pm
Jacob,
From the looks of the wedges, I have a feeling someone tried to do an alignment without fully removing the lags and then re drilling the holes. The other potential issue is the lags are no longer firmly holding the engine in place and it's shifted. There is no pocket. The wedges sit on top of the stringers. They are used for vertical engine adjustment to align it to a aligned prop shaft. Make new wedges and do an alignment. Alignment starts at the strut. Clearance holes for the lags are drilled in the wedges after alignment. I also have to ask what's the condition of your stringers. The engine may be out of position and shifted due to poor stringer condition?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 5:21pm
Nothing special you can just cut yourself some new ones using the old as patterns. Pete here would know what kind of wood to use, I'm thinking some hardwood like oak or he can refer you to someone who might have some vintage cast iron wedges used in older wood boats
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 5:24pm
He beat me to it. Please post some pictures of that HM powered 'Cuda!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Nothing special you can just cut yourself some new ones using the old as patterns. Pete here would know what kind of wood to use, I'm thinking some hardwood like oak or he can refer you to someone who might have some vintage cast iron wedges used in older wood boats

The cast iron wedges are very hard to find. I believe the last ones I sourced went to Alan for the Hurricane. For wood, I'd go with White Oak.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 5:49pm

These are the only ones I have on this computer. Will attach a couple later this evening. Thanks for the information on the wedges. I will get working on that in the next week or so and post after pictures. Will reach out with any more questions. Thanks again.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 5:56pm
Nice boat!

That keel stop looks like a recipe for disaster.
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 6:06pm
I agree. Long story short. This boat was my Grandfathers. Passed down to my Uncle in Arizona. He sold it many years after his passing. I stumbled across this site, looking for a boat like it. Came across a member that had posted it for sale in Arizona, contacted him and he had already sold it. My contact information was passed somehow and the third owner contacted me a couple years ago. Uncle (still in Arizona) went out and verified, it was my Grandfathers boat. The rest is history. So Thank you CorrectCraftfan. lead me to my Grandfathers boat Arizona to Ohio. So thus having it trucked up to Ohio, my budget on repairs and modifications has been slim. Thus the original trailer he had it on still resides as is.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 6:32pm
I remember seeing it for sale,looks like my Mustangs bigger brother.You don't see many 'Cudas in that color scheme. If I had the time,money and room I'd drag Workman's SS home and build it's twin. A nice 408 HM would complete the package. Anyway,Beautiful boat,glad you were able to find and reconnect.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

.You don't see many 'Cudas in that color scheme. .

We had one up here in the same color but I haven't seen it in years. I too loved the color. When I was working at Watercraft I always enjoyed seeing it come in for gas. I would make a point of going out on the gas dock to take a look at it or rather the owners daughter that was always driving it!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 7:02pm
Jacob,I have to ask what do you do in telecommunications? Also wanted to add that if you haven't already you should write to the factory and have Art look up the build sheet,it will tell you what distributor it went to,the price and options. Most of which you can guess I'm sure but is nice to have.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 7:12pm
And Pete did you harass her on everything that was wrong with the boat?
zosom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zosom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 12:21pm
Gary,
I am a RCDD (Registered Communications Distribution Designer) for Axiom Solutions. In a nutshell I design the network infrastructure for Commercial/Industrial network cabling systems. (Fiber/CAT6/AV/Security) You will have to give me a bit more information on the statement of writing the factory and who Art is. I am assuming that he is looking at the Serial# and giving me the entire history of what the Original OEM for this boat was?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 12:59pm
Was just curious Jacob, my wife and I both are retired Bell System and forum member Jbear is also. As to Art,he's retired from Correct Craft and a member here. When he has spare time he looks up the boats record and will tell you what they have on it. New boats are on computer, next ones down are on microfiche and older wooden boats records have been lost due to a fire. Just write the factory with your serial number and put Attn Art Cozier. It may take awhile, I know he's sure to be busy especially with the Masters coming up next month.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Ameicanskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ameicanskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 1:06am
I’d like to thank the guys that initially responded to this now almost 5 year old post. I did call Jim Harris back in 2016 and purchased a rebuilt velvet drive along with the necessary parts to install it. I installed the transmission, insured that everything lined up and bolted up and then life got in the way. The boat has been sitting since but should start up with a new fuel line, fuel filter, carb cleaning, fluids and battery. I will need to figure out how to make the shift linkage, which I believe is for an Eaton, work. First I need to get the boat out of storage but I will definitely be back here with pictures soon seeking advice. Thanks again
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic