Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me.
    Posted: January-12-2016 at 2:45pm
Hi all,
So I recently bought this boat (Link below) at an insurance auction. Long story short, though multiple correspondences with the auction facility, I was led to believe that I would be helped with a front loader or forklift to load this unit onto my flatbed trailer. As it turns out, they are conveniently not going to help me load it... you know, after I've paid for it. The boat is located in Savannah Ga and I am coming from Orlando this week, (Thurs or fri) hopefully to pick it up with buddy Art Cozier as a hand. We are currently running through mental gymnastics of how I am going to load this thing. Thought I would reach out to any Savannah fans who may be of help? Maybe owning a construction company or having equipment? I've gotten myself in a bit of bind here would truly appreciate any ideas or assistance. You can give me a call or respond to this thread.
407 538 5845
boat that I bought
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 2:49pm
Call a towing company. They can lift it with two tow trucks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 2:58pm
Trying to put the whole thing (boat + mangled trailer) on a flatbed? That'll be a tall order without serious equipment to lift from above. Getting the boat up on blocks and then putting it back down on a good (boat) trailer would likely be a bit more straightforward. A good engine hoist makes things easier.

Got a good winch? Drag it up!
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 3:25pm
I too was thinking a couple of engine hoists and some blocks would be a good start...   use the lifting eyes on the bow/stern, and lift the boat off of the trailer.   drag the trailer out from under the boat, and haul it strait to a recycler.   You could probably use some 2x4's and some tires to make a bunk system of sorts on a flat bed trailer if that is what you had intended....   take an impact driver and some lag bolts and lag the bunks to the trailer, then tie the whole thing down.     it will probably cost you a couple hundred for some used engine hoists on CL if you don't have some already. If you have an adequate boat trailer available, it would sure make the ride home much less of a big deal.   I like the tow truck option, but you'd need to have all your ducks in a row to ensure that you're not paying by the hour for futzing around.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 4:52pm
Think Most ga fans are up around ATL, suggest retitle thread "need help Savannah/Hilton Head/GA Coast " and someone closer may have a place to stick it short term while you assess the trailer. If the trailer is trashed, would think if anyone could borrow a trailer to fit that boat it would be Art. Maybe winch onto rollbed tow truck, take to a marina and have them pick it off and put on borrowed trailer. Lotsa big boats on the coast, would think it'd be a cinch for one of the marinas to pick up a little boat like that down there. Then maybe give the towing co or marina the trailer for damaged, or scrap value, against the cost of the transfer.

Or something like that....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 4:55pm
Or bring 2 vehicles and have them drop the separate trailer onto flatbed...or just pick the whole thing off the rollbed and put it on a flatbed.....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 5:00pm
Lol someone didn't click the link.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 5:18pm
Oh.....Yikes.

Although...... rollbeds have towed away far worse roadside disasters than that....no harm in asking/ sending the photos for an inquiry I suppose. Total length is also a factor.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 5:21pm
Hook up to it and call AAA
This is the life
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 12:58am
Falls under "heavy equipment" but you may check into a small crane rental. It might not be as expensive as you'd think. It'll take longer to strap it down then it will to load it..
Tmosely1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tmosely1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2016 at 1:53pm
My 2 cents..
   I would ask copart for a scrap buy bid on the trailer. Have two wreckers meet me maybe an hour after the yard opens. You get there at opening and assess and site adjust the plan. Lift directly behind the stern and then out from one side of the bow. (Inspect that bow ring and the fiberglass around it because it appears to have hit the winch and it may not be a viable lift location) That would give you room to hook up and DRAG the trailer out from under it carefully. I would cut the trailer guards with a sawzall so they don't bump something. Back your trailer under and block it for the ride. You can't have too many blocks, carpet, or foam and the blocks will have to be bolted to the trailer. Use the copart scrap money to pay for your wreckers and a tip if they're helpful.
Three side notes..
Take as many tools as you can carry along with a generator. Make sure to fully disclose to the wrecker service what you are doing and they will likely be very helpful. Also let copart know that the time and date you will be there and let them know you need ample access around the boat. Then call and annoy them confirming many times. They want it out as bad as you want it home.
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 12:14am
Okay, all. Thanks for the thoughts. Call me crazy, but I'd like to try my best to get the trailer home on the chance that I may be able to fix it. I also don't have a V-drive trailer on hand to put it on. At any rate, I think I have come up with a plan. I'm going to use a beam across the back coupled with a series of floor jacks and lifts to block the boat up high enough to slide my low-slung flat bed under. I also worked my way up Copart's chain of command and got to a manager who agreed to try his best to help me get it loaded. Talked to a few local towing companies and even tried to rent a rolloff truck and forklift from Sunbelt. Everybody was either totally booked up, unwilling to help, or really expensive. Hoping my method works. Pics to follow- ever thankful to have Art as a close friend to help. Stay posted, I will update. Leaving in the AM to go get it.
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 12:26am
Good luck... Sounds tricky, but doable with the right equipment- even if basic.

I will say that this seems like a lot of effort to go through for a Mastercraft.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 10:34am
Heavy equipment would certainly make the job go easier, but with a few helping hands, a little ingenuity and a few basic tools, you would be surprised what you can do.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 11:57am
That trailer should buff right out
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 1:07pm
My flatbed trailer has a winch mounted to it and if it were me I wouldn't hesitate to drag it right up onto it by the toungue and strap the whole package down as one big package. make sure nothing will fall off and be on your way. a couple sheets of plywood always help me when sliding broken stuff on my trailer.
If you dont have a winch head to harbor frieght and get one and a couple chains and bring an extra battery. no need to mount the winch just chain it to somethin strong. its not a long pull.
Things i would make sure are in the truck are a floor jack and plenty of blocking, possibly a farm jack or highlift if you have one of those too. plenty of straps chains and a large breaker bar. cordless sawzall, or portable cutting torch. bungee cords and small straps for small hanging pieces. plywood, junk plywood.
-Tony
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 1:38pm
I would bring an 8 ft 3500 lb axle with me. Jack it up slide it under and make it semi mobile.that would make loading it a breeze
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 1:43pm
This would work.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 1:43pm
But seriously folks... Tony has the right idea. How do you think it got to where its at now? Some mouth breathing knuckle dragger winched that girl up on a flat bed wrecker off the interstate then dumped it on the ground in the yard. Do it again.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
newscotty2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newscotty2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Some mouth breathing knuckle dragger winched that girl up on a flat bed wrecker off the interstate then dumped it on the ground in the yard. Do it again.

That is exactly what happened when I totaled my Malibu. Only it was upside down! I'll never forget the sounds it made as they pulled it into the flatbed. I knew it was toast at that point. That MC should be no problem with the trailer under it.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:32pm
i like the sawzall with plenty of batteries or generator and line volt sawzall   some ubolts and a complete axle assy that you will use when you fix the trailer.. Jack it up, cut some crap off it and bolt the axle under it and go
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:52pm
Peter,
That's not a bad idea but I don't know how far he'd make it without getting pulled over. It's a few miles between Savanna and Orlando.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Silver15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silver15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:21am
MADE IT HOME IN ONE PIECE.
When I arrived at the boat, they had actually lifted it and moved it which made most of my original plan impossible. However, I used this as leverage to make them help me load it. Luckily, the fork lift operator I ended up with was really helpful. Art and I still did several hours with of prep work to make the transition easier including jacking the boat level, removing the axels from the trailer, and blocking the trailer such that it would sit level and comfortably on the flatbed. Was a little bit shy on the tongue weight which resulted in some fish-tailing issues, so we had to keep it below 65mph or so. Here's some pics from the day.

Tool setup.

The boat after being leveled out some.

Axels (Both bent and mangled) cut out and out of the way.

The front loader showed up to help making things much easier.

Being set extremely carefully onto the trailer with the blocking we had arranged.

Strapped onto the trailer and headed home. (3 hours later)
2000 Air/Sport
1978 T16

DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 7:16am
nice job.

Now, i'm sure a lot of others are also wondering. Whats the damage tally? and what are the plans? part out, rebuild, etc.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 7:59am
Originally posted by DayTony DayTony wrote:

nice job.

Now, i'm sure a lot of others are also wondering. Whats the damage tally? and what are the plans? part out, rebuild, etc.

Jake,
I sure agree with Tony and yes, I too am wondering what the plan is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Peter,
That's not a bad idea but I don't know how far he'd make it without getting pulled over. It's a few miles between Savanna and Orlando.
Ha I meant to get it onto the car carrier..
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 10:41am
Nice job, that is one of the more ambitious retrievals we've seen.   Sort of surprised they put up such a fuss about not helping you and then show up with that big loader. Seems they could have offered that to you in the beginning at an hourly rate and be done with it.

On a side note, can anyone really put a value on Art Cozier? The man is priceless to us here.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:11am
Congrats! Well done. Obviously nice that they decided to help a bit. The loader certainly simplified the job. Good luck with your project. The boat doesn't look bad. Looks like the trailer took the brunt of the accident.

Uhh.....what about the other end of the trip? I am guessing you don't have a loader like that at your house.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:22am
Jake,
Did you hear what happened in the accident?

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

On a side note, can anyone really put a value on Art Cozier? The man is priceless to us here.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:01pm
nice job Jake & Art.    Having the trailer as your bunk system certainly helped.   I like that you were able to get the help of that loader, it certainly made your job a LOT easier.

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic