Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT-40 Performance Upgrades Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
CI Restorations View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT-40 Performance Upgrades Help
    Posted: January-14-2016 at 10:33am
Does anyone know of a computer chip/injectors maybe combo package to add more power to 99 sport nautique 351 gt40? Thanks in advance!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 11:32am
You may want to revise the thread title better indicating what you are seeking, perhaps something like "GT-40 Performance Upgrades Help". Lewy certainly comes to mind as one of our GT-40 Guru's, several others as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 3:32pm
Thanks for input
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 4:25pm
Thought I saw around $100 that boosted like 50 hp.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Thought I saw around $100 that boosted like 50 hp.

$100? Would that be the "Reid" method of HP boosting with different HP decals on the engine?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 6:54pm
Mike I put together a Megasquirt ECM conversion for the GT40. I was planning on upgrading engine with a stroker crank at some stage. My original Ford EEC1V computer was also having intermittent heat soak problems. The injectors are large enough PCM used 24lb injectors most automotive applications of the 351W used 17lb injectors. The injectors would handle almost all the mods you could throw at a 351 cu. in. but maybe marginal if going to a stroker like the 408 cu. in.

The Megasquirt ECM has increased the HP by a small margin .The standard fuel and ignition tables on the GT40 are fairly conservative and would handle mild performance modifications. Paul (Gun-Driver) added the better flowing GT40P heads to his GT40 with no problems.

The real HP gains were planned with the engine mods crank, heads, cam etc. The ECM would then have been able to be tuned to gain the most from these mods without damaging the engine.

Depends on what sort of gains you are after PCM put together a great package with the GT40 from the factory.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:34pm
Thank you lewy looking more for bolt on mods or chip maybe and where I would get one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2016 at 8:43pm
Mike,
Is this 99 sport your boat or a customers? How versed are you with the PCM's?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:04am
Any clue where?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:06am
Any clue where you may have seen that
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by CI Restorations CI Restorations wrote:

Does anyone know of a computer chip/injectors maybe combo package to add more power to 99 sport nautique 351 gt40? Thanks in advance!

Hey Mike,
Probably the easiest way to add a kick to any boat is not even talked about by most of the guys on this site. I buy these by the crate and just use them when the guys want to get a big barefoot line together:

Performance Increase
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 12:11pm
Unfortunately there isn’t anything bolt on that is going to help you. PCM has gotten a fair amount of power out of that engine as is, and its not the same as the automotive in terms of it running open loop vs closed loop. None of the automotive chips would help you… and the marine gt40 market is not big enough that any aftermarket is going to support it from a computer side. If you want to scrap the fuel injection buy a carb and ignition system, then change the cam, intake, etc you can end up with more hp but it wont be easy or cheap. Sticking with the fuel injection requires a custom solution.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:13pm
I dont want to lose injection so I guess Ill be waiting for the stroker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:29pm
Has anyone used or heard of Magnum smart tune boat performance module the "claim" 17% hp and tq increase????

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:30pm
http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/smart-tune-x-boat-fuel-tuner-performance-module     Anyone???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:54pm

http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/smart-tune-x-boat-fuel-tuner-performance-module     Anyone???

Mike,
Here's a direct link to the Magnumtuning site. I haven't heard anything about them but maybe another member can comment.

What were you referring to below?

Any clue where?

Maybe you missed the question but I'm curious if this boat is yours or a customers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 5:15pm
I replyed may have came through as a comment but yes the boat is mine.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CI Restorations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 4:23am
Where someone found a chil for it
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:04am

I question any company who would use scotch loc's in a marine environment .........
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

I question any company who would use scotch loc's in a marine environment .........

WOW!! There's no question in my mind. This puts them at the very bottom of my list!

Picture is from "marine performance chip"

I wonder if they would guarantee the Scotch Lock's for 10 years?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
t.franscioni View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2017 at 9:46pm
[QUOTE=lewy2001] Mike I put together a Megasquirt ECM conversion for the GT40. I was planning on upgrading engine with a stroker crank at some stage. My original Ford EEC1V computer was also having intermittent heat soak problems. The injectors are large enough PCM used 24lb injectors most automotive applications of the 351W used 17lb injectors. The injectors would handle almost all the mods you could throw at a 351 cu. in. but maybe marginal if going to a stroker like the 408 cu. in.

The Megasquirt ECM has increased the HP by a small margin .The standard fuel and ignition tables on the GT40 are fairly conservative and would handle mild performance modifications. Paul (Gun-Driver) added the better flowing GT40P heads to his GT40 with no problems.

Lewy, curious about your experience tuning the Megasquirt for your GT40. Did you tune it yourself? If so can you touch on the equipment and sensors (any wideband O2 used somehow in the exhaust) you used to tune it?

You mentioned the stock GT40 tuning tables being mild. How did you get a look at them and anyway you can share those tables?

Thanks

Tom
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 2:03am
I ran the engine with the standard PCM ECU while using the Megasquirt logging feature with a wideband O2 sensor. I also logged the timing while running the standard PCM ECU.

The wideband O2 sensor is stilling surviving in the wet exhaust environment after two seasons of use. I do not use the O2 sensor in closed loop mode it is just there for manual tuning purposes. The Megasquirt ECM is run just like the original PCM ECM in open loop mode.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 2:20am
Cool. Where about in the exhaust system did you install the wideband O2? Do you have a pic of the install?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2017 at 8:41am
Once you had mapped out the stock PCM fuel and timing tables how was it programming the megasquirt to replicate those tables you had logged?

Which model megasquirt are you running and are you utilizing the stock engine harness? I see megasquirt make a plug n play EEC that has the Ford 60 pin connector so you could perhaps use the stock PCM engine harness with it.

Any pics of the setup?
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 8:08am
Originally posted by lewy2001 lewy2001 wrote:

I ran the engine with the standard PCM ECU while using the Megasquirt logging feature with a wideband O2 sensor. I also logged the timing while running the standard PCM ECU.

The wideband O2 sensor is stilling surviving in the wet exhaust environment after two seasons of use. I do not use the O2 sensor in closed loop mode it is just there for manual tuning purposes. The Megasquirt ECM is run just like the original PCM ECM in open loop mode.

Good work Mark    on a carb biased forum

Guys the Scotchlock jell filled 314's and alike have worked well for me
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 10:51am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

They absolutely work, it's just that when you think about what they are doing, it's an unnatural act. Chopping part of your wire away to make a connection is about the 10th best way to do it. I would never use one in a boat application, I will admit I've snapped a few on trailer wiring just because I was in a hurry.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Roger,
I agree but the 314's are not what comes in the kit!
Also, I value the guy who got his package after 100 years working on wires!!

Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2017 at 11:27am
I don't want to talk for Jbear but we must have used a million of them,they work in the proper use and sure beat the alternative. In Marks defense the picture of them above is not the megasquirt kit. In the telephone industry,before scotchloc's they would strip about 1" of insulation off a wire twist them together then slide a closed ended tube filled with some sort of grease over it. It relied on the grease to keep them on. Then they went to a connector called a " pumpkin seed" you'd do the same but they would crimp on,they were better because they didn't fall off as easy.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 3:18am
Yad nabbit always happens when I come here to CCF for answers.... my questions lost in a sea of ensuing discussion about wire terminals and pumpkin seeds....
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2017 at 9:35am
That's because on this site as opposed to the other site you frequent have actually met and hang out together. Why not PM Mark and ask him your questions? He only lives on the other side of the world and does not keep the same hours as we do.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic