Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Driver's Seat 84 - 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driver's Seat 84 - 2001
    Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:10pm
Hi Folks !

I don't frequent the forums as much as I could/should, but I figured it was the perfect place to maybe get some input from the "experts" about a driver's seat replacement for my golden oldie..

I have an 84 2001 that I've pulled the kids (and occasionally someone pulls me) wakeboarding for the last couple years. I have a two-fold issue with the original seat that has finally gone soft on me. The wooden frame inside has seen better days.. The Vinyl somehow isn't that bad.   I have to repair it or replace it and I prefer the later.

I always had a tough time with the original seat height. It sat very low in the boat and made for difficult viewing over the nose of a weighted boat at good wake speeds. I'm wondering if anyone out there found a more comfortable solution to the OEM seat?

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:24pm
Sure, build your own base or (better yet) shim what you already have.
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:36pm
Shimming had crossed my mind (along with a replacement base. I would still have to repair the current seat and I was wondering if anyone had luck with a really sturdy aftermarket that maybe folded? So I could sit on the back of the seat while folded and towing ? Is there anything well built enough to accomplish this or am I dreaming ?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Pumpy Pumpy wrote:

sit on the back of the seat while folded and towing

sounds more like a nightmare
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:58pm
Sounds like we had the same issue.

My custom Base
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 1:58pm
hahaha ! right.. one of my friends older boat had some seats that swiveled and the seat back was really sturdy and comfortable to sit on while casting... (fishing) just seemed to make sense to get me up a bit higher while the boat was so heavily angled.. Spin it and flop back down to normal height while cruising.. I dunno? just a thought and I hoped someone had a similar issue with visibility in the super low seats. (leaning on a knee to see over the bow gets really awkward during longer pulls.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 3:04pm

So I could sit on the back of the seat while folded and towing ?

This may get you in trouble with the DNR!!

Rebuild the original and sit on a throwable for the extra height. Typically the DNR wardens won't bother you with this. However, if they do see a height extension other than what the OEM provided, you may get in trouble with it too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 3:19pm
It's simple to replace the wood base and re use the vinyl. Just take it apart carefully and put it back the same way.

Major changes to the seat itself (or full replacement) would look pretty goofy. I also think you may need to revisit your behavior if you think that sitting on the seat back or looking over the windshield is something you currently do. Mostly from a safety perspective- and I'm purely talking forward and rearward/skier visibility, access to controls, etc- not necessarily what the marine patrol will tell you is allowed.

That said, the early (82-86) 2001 has a pretty low seating position and below avg height drivers may prefer to be slightly elevated. A throw cushion on the seat bottom is an option. Adding another set of those stand off washers below the seat tracks (when reassembling) is as far as I'd go in terms of mods. A little goes a long way, one set of 3/4" may be plenty.
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 3:31pm
Gotcha,, didn't think about DNR caring about the seat but I suppose they may. Some good feedback here guys I really appreciate the different viewpoints. Planning a bit for spring as we are tired of grey skies and ready to use our lake again.. Does nobody else have this issue of the seat being too low ? As for below average height I'm actually 6'-1" and it's low to me. Maybe and extra cushion would be enough to get me comfy height wise.. seems the better the view the safer and more at ease the whole process would be on those high traffic lake days.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I also think you may need to revisit your behavior if you think that sitting on the seat back or looking over the windshield is something you currently do. Mostly from a safety perspective- and I'm purely talking forward and rearward/skier visibility, access to controls, etc- not necessarily what the marine patrol will tell you is allowed. .

Gotcha,, didn't think about DNR caring about the seat but I suppose they may. .

John,
Where are you in Wi. where the DNR doesn't care?
Maybe a revisit to this will help.

Rebuild the seat as original and use a throwable. BTW, 30 years is asking plenty out of any seat but, maybe sitting on the seat back has contributed?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 3:52pm
Think about this Timmy, my blue boat has a factory installed bolster cushion, raises the seating elevation about 4", that's quite a few washers. Do agree though not too much or it's no good.

If I was the OP if what Mr Shaw made would work would be offering him a few bucks to make one for me.

Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 4:06pm
Nice! I hadn't seen Mr. Shaws example and that looks perfect ! I was too busy trying to figure out what all the fuss in the DNR examples was about to see that someone understood exactly what I was getting at. We aren't talking about doing handstands on the gunwale here just gaining better vision for a high nosed wakeboarding boat. Essentially a folded seat is exactly the same height difference he accomplished there with a really well built base. I could mount basically any well made seat (or the repaired original) to that and be exactly where I needed to be. That's the plan folks ! Thanks again Mr. Shaw looks awesome ! No need to be sending the DNR out to my lake,, put the phones down.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 4:14pm
My driver seat has additional 1" square aluminum tubing between the fiberglass pedestal, then stand-off washers, then tracks. It came to us this way and I've just left it the same. I'm only 5'11" and this is plenty tall for me. I've never had a problem with factory height seats either. Any taller and I'm forced to look through the frame or over it. Can't imagine how anybody 6'1" isn't tall enough to look through the windshield.

The only thing more dangerous looking than a driver kneeling on the seat bottom or sitting on the backrest is one that's not looking where they are going...
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 4:40pm
well ? I generally pull boarders at about 18 - 20 mph.. This leaves my boat at a pretty fair angle in the water to maintain a steady speed.. This obviously changes the viewpoint to the actual water surface. I am and always was looking through the windshield even with a knee in the seat bottom.. Our lake is on the smaller side and waves/chop/rough water is never a concern I feel really really really safe kneeling and seeing very clearly. I do understand your viewpoint and concern for boating safety.

I think the level of corrosion combined with the length of those mounting bolts looks far more dangerous and prone to failure than even my old knees.. =) I'm teasing here of course..
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 4:46pm
Did this "fishing" take place from the inside of a Ski Nautique ?

This is often viewed as worse than tubing.

I would just repair the seat you have and then just get used to looking thru the windshield.
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 5:05pm
=) This "fishing" took place with a beer in hand from the inside of an 16' Alumicraft boat. The seat flopped down and had a nice flat back that was really solid.. Made a perfect pedestal seat in the driver's spot because he hogged the front bow pedestal every trip.. His boat I suppose his prerogative.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 5:15pm
Wheew !!!      Thanks Pumpy you did the right thing !
Pumpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pumpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 5:51pm
Haven't fished in years but wouldn't consider it from the 2001.. Thanks again everyone for tossing in your couple cents into the *dumb question* box here.. I really like the custom pedestal that MR Shaw built and will be forwarding those to my brother-in-law to see what his machine shop can whip up for me..

Really a ton of help here and a great community full of knowledge and insight to boat ownership !

Best wishes everyone.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 10:52pm
Seems like a problem quite easily fixed with a $15 pfd seat cushion.

Pete: c'Mon, no way, you have got to be kidding. ..your DNR guys would cite you for what you call a "seat extension"?   Holy crap, that's unbelievable.   40+ years of NY boating been stopped like twice...all they care about is bui and enough pfds and off they go. Now here almost 10 years on a 350+ mile shoreline Georgia lake and just saw our very 1st law boat last year, but I'd guess only since our little marina has good fried chicken, they were eating as we chortled out quite loudly from the next slip, didn't even look up......

Remind me to never boat in Minnesota. ...
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 11:14pm
Jeff,
We do have some pretty hard azz officers that can really go looking for infractions. If the seat base didn't look original and sitting on an obvious height extension, then they may issue a citation. My daughter was stopped on our PWC because when I put new registration numbers on, I mistakenly used "M"'s instead on "N"'s!! However, a friend that knows the officer did tell me all he wanted was to get in her pants!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 12:42am
Pete That's just crazy. Reminds me of a tale i think I've posted before. Circa late 70's we had some trouble starting my Dad's Century (now mine). For some reason I can't recall, also had no number stickers on it. 15 years old and fearless, my friend and I took it for a ride anyway. Sheriff stopped us way up by Penn Yan and said shut it down. I yelled back,over the roar, "if I shut it down it won't start" but he made me do it anyway. Needless to say, it wouldn't start and he had to tow us like an hour to our cottage. When we got in view of the cottage, my friend and I jumped up on the back of the engine box and put our hands behind our backs like we were handcuffed. ..when my mother on the dock saw this she nearly had a heart attack. ....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2016 at 11:10am
John, having owned an 88' for 15 years I know what you're talking about. The factory seat itself is just too low for what I like and I just use my throwable PFD as a booster seat. It puts me just at the right height (at 5'10) where my mouth is about even with the windshield frame. When the rain comes or its chilly out when running down the lake, removing the PFD gives me the ability to take full advantage of the windshield. I've seen many CCFans remove my booster seat when they drive my boat cause they don't like sitting higher than the WS.

My $.02 would be to rebuild the seat just like it is. You could add some height to it by stacking a few washers underneath the seat where it attaches to the base and use a little longer bolt if you needed to. Use a PFD as a booster seat and use 2 if you have too. I think 3 is the norm for Zach but that is so he can see over the dash!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic