NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buckethead 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buckethead 2016
    Posted: January-22-2016 at 9:20am
So there has been much talk about the times had at the Buckethead 2015 and the upcoming 2016 edition. With that said, thought it would be best to organize a thread to host the names of those interested in participating, training tips, gear suggestions, driving suggestions etc.

I have reached out to another member about fielding a team and giving this a go on Saturday and then hanging for the fun event on Sunday.

Counting on those who have skied this event previously to chime in and give some guidance of expectations etc.

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
IAughtNaut View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IAughtNaut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 10:21am
any idea what the dates are? I'm interested, but will certainly need some time to plan
bring the ruckus
2000 Pro Air
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 11:28am
I've been trying to get in touch with Brian regarding the 2016 date, but have been unsuccessful so far. I would imagine we're probably looking at 8/20 or 8/27.

A few links that might be useful or interesting:

Official Buckethead Website

Official 2015 video:
https://youtu.be/IRuLF0QTXb8

Huge Midgets (Corvette boat) start video... these guys came in 3rd, behind Top Gun and Jim Bragg's team with the out-of-town ringers:
https://youtu.be/joTh5F67z14

Here are the pieces you need to make a race rope:
Figure 8
Rappel Ring (x2)
Rope... You'll need ~120' of HDPE from Lake Elmo or Weyer's (their HTPE would be a good choice as well). I have several spools of this stuff too so drop me a line if you'd like.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 11:50am
We were able to piece together a decent amount of info prior to last year's race, but it was still a bit overwhelming as first-timers. The race itself was pretty intense, certainly as a skier, but probably even moreso as a driver. Lots of stuff to pay attention to while doing everything as fast as possible and still staying safe.

Training can take many forms but I think that reliability is the most important skill- being able to ski through rough water, benign to inconsistent pulls, etc. Minimizing falls (especially the starts) is key. Conditioning the body to ski longer and the feet to ski faster would be the next steps after that.

38 miles is a pretty long stretch on your feet. 2015 finish times ranged from 55min to 1;45. We were smack dab in the middle at ~1:20, which was good enough for 7th place out of 12 (there was 1 DNF).

If you can assemble another team and grab a spot in the race, we're proof that first-timers don't necessarily come in last- so go for it. If the prospect of the main event is a little overwhelming, then the Sunday race is a good alternative. Even if the "official" planning falls apart (as it did last year), we still plan to run it. Probably split Deep Rudders and assemble up to 3 teams of 4-6 people and run a half race (19mi). Maybe Steve (Tullfooter) would do the same and we'd have a small line of BFN's running up the river.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:08pm
All what Tim said. I think the thing that made us most successful at being consistent is that we agreed on a very set in boat and turn around process and practiced it that way. We really worked together nicely in the boat having never done such a thing before.

I had done a short race before with some veterans which helped me bring some ideas to the table before the race.

Like Tim said, it's one of the most intense events you will take part in as a boater/skier. We had many years of experience in the boat so that helped with ideas on processes. Tim and HW were shoe ins for drivers having the most experience at high speed maneuvers in a BFN hull.,
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:32pm
2015: August 29
2014: August 16
2013: August 24
2012: August 11
2011: August 13
2010: August 14

2016 Show Ski Nationals is August 13-14. Here's to hoping they schedule the Buckethead on the 20th or 27th this year...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:06pm
We can lobby for it.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:06pm
Well if there is a conflict, I'll just take your place.

ha,
ha ha
HA HA HA
BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Oh, sometimes, I just crack myself up.
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:35am
Our vacation planning puts me in the US of A during that time.
I'm game for the sunday funday CCF event
1994 Sport Nautique
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 11:06am
Sebastian, I'll be there as well. You'd be welcome in my boat!   

I'm trying to get the date from Brain. I will post as soon as I do.

For anyone who hasn't seen this awesome video...

Buckethead 2015
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:53pm
Thanks Pirate Steve!
And I'll hand deliver a USB stick with the 2015 pics then
1994 Sport Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 1:26pm
Red Malibu standing on the motorbox while skiing @ 4:33
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 1:37pm
I hate Florida. Nobody does anything cool like this here. No grass roots nothing, the state is devoid of cultural stoke.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:00pm
Asses down on the floor (yells TRBenj)

Edit: Every time I watch that video I remember how bad ass this was.

Corvette Start

In this video you can see us on the right (left side of the Vette) and how bad Dave wanted the Vette. He kept giving the thumbs up until we passed them but unfortunately we weren't conditioned for that much speed just yet ha.

Also, you can see the gigantic advantage they gained on the start which is why HW has been practicing all the hot starts so we can get a killer hole shot ready for next year.
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:19pm
Thx for posting the video, I hadnt seen that yet. Awesome. I'd like to think I might be able to make it this year.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:39pm
I think everyone would be pretty pumped up to actually put together a somewhat planned out Sunday race,
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:48pm
Except Ralph.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:50pm
Are my links above not working? Or am I on too many peoples ignore lists?

I was pretty wiped out and unmotivated Sun AM this past year... But a Sunday race amongst ourselves would be pretty cool. Ralph is not invited on my boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:52pm
Does anyone know where to get the hardware to make those pulley rope things?

The real key to getting out ahead is to start before the horn...
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:08pm
Good strategy.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:26pm
I think that is a jab towards me. I saw the information from TRB. Will be placing the order through Amazon or making the trek to REI.

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Does anyone know where to get the hardware to make those pulley rope things?

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

I think that is a jab towards me. I saw the information from TRB.

No you're good. Mostly Zach. Pirate Steve gets a pass.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:54pm
Ha, I ignored the original post. I must have thought it was in the HW rollin through post.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 3:56pm
No jab at Greg. He asked first, then got answered. That couldn't possibly be a jab at him. Zach gets lost sometimes (a lot of times).
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:09pm
Clip below is from a different race - along about 5:15 you will see the importance of keeping your A$$ on the floor and paying attention to the other boats. I am guessing that when the turn was made the driver was not aware how close the other boat was

[/QUOTE]

'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:24pm
oh that back slam had to feel good... they are begging to get run over bailing out on the outside of the turn.

there doesn't seem to be any kind of a rush in most these other teams getting off their butts in the 10 second time limit...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:42pm
I know the guy who got slammed against the side of the boat. I met him through the BFC find a footer website. He lives near boston. Came down to the Cape and skied with me once and I went with a buddy of his and him on another pond on the mainland. He was a pretty new footer then, but progressing well. I know that D2D race in Austin was his first. If you view the whole video, he also states that they ran over the rope and sucked it up in the prop that resulted in a significant delay. I think it was a thrown together last minute team, Maybe a veteran or two but mostly rookies.

Results that year.

Look at Top Gun.. 21.55 for 19 mile course = 52 mph average. I think I read somewhere where they did that race with like one run per guy in the boat, so 3 or 4 transitions.

(He hasnt uploaded any videos in several years. I wonder if he is still at it)

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 5:52pm
12 minute delay

I thought his first start was long at 17 seconds but then followed it up with a 25 second butt ride on his next run...

all the fist pumping cracks me up

back to deep rudders

I feel like our starts are turns are very dialed in comparatively [now]. We just need to ski faster and longer. Shooting for bottom of the top 5. ;/
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:03pm
Haven't seen too many transitions in race videos, but a couple, plus watching your practice runs in FL. What is protocol, Whip around in a hurry and head back or come to idle, turn around and go back up your own wake. I've seen both.   At the beginning of the race, obviously you cant whip around, boats are all too close, but later when you are all alone out on the river, what do you do? Doesnt seem like you would want to take time to stop before heading back, but I can see not wanting a bunch or transverse wakes in the river either.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 6:08pm
[QUOTE=Hollywood]
QUOTE]

LOL that's my Video. I thought the same thing.

Cheers Hollywood!    
-Steve the Pirate
86 Barefoot Nautique

Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic