Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Correct craft Separator

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
revkev6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revkev6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Correct craft Separator
    Posted: January-22-2016 at 11:45am
hey all first post! Does anyone have any good history on the Correct Craft "Separator" model?? When I was a kid in the early 90's my father and uncles picked up a rough 1971 Correct Craft. We had gotten into skiing and they had dreams of this being a cheap way to make a tow boat. it was rough, but they swapped out the cracked Holman moody 351 block with a 302 and swapped all the parts over to it. interior was completely reupholstered and the horrible dark green was replaced with white hull and bright yellow deck. it still had the twin "bat boat" windshields. it turned out to not be a great ski boat, so the work was for naught in their eyes. during the rebuild they never pulled the floor and checked underneath. she would swamp the stern when you came off plane so my guess was she was waterlogged pretty bad.

I've always loved the boat and have heard it's still around tucked away in a barn. all the photos of it are in an album somewhere at my parents or uncles house. It came out very nice looking as my uncle is a bodyman who restores vintage cars. it was the first boat my brother and I got to take out on the lake alone when we got our coast guard licenses.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 11:57am
Hi and welcome. What do you mean by history? Era of production? I used to know this pretty well, but its fuzzy in my head now. YOu can review all of the historic brochures in the reference section to get up to speed. Separator came out in late 60s, 68 maybe and went through mid 70s. Mostly v-drives, but also came in an I/O version.   It had a twin, the torino, that was the same boat but with a conventional flat windshield. After a while, just the Separator name continued, and for a year or so had the option of bat boat or flat windshields, then at the end of its run, just the flat windshield. They are very cool boats in my mind, some folks like them, some not so much. There are a hand full on this site, most of them owned by member connorssons (Jeff Connors) I believe he has 5. He is just wrapping up restoration of a 71 or 2 I believe, I/O version, but really warmed it up. It is an upper 70s MPH boat, I believe. He did a beautiful restoration. He picked up a complete boat in good shape from florida, a beautiful blue one that was a good runner but I believe needed a little bit of work, and a couple other projects. As you noted, the downside is, they are not great ski boats. Too much weight in the rear, poor hole shot. Some have tried to combat that with trim tabs, but I don't know with how much success. Go to the diaries section and search torino and separator and you will see what there is around here, tho I dont think Jeff has too many, if any diary entries. Use the forum search feature to find threads about them as well. Yes, try to dig out your pictures and post them. Again, welcome.

Edit: found the thread on Jeff's rebuild. Unfortunately his early photos are missing, but still a good read, with photos of the rebuild showing up.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20140&KW=separator&PN=1&title=75-separator-rebuild

Edit II: Here is the blue one he picked up
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:06pm
Kevin,
Welcome to CCfan.

Larry,
I don't know why you said your memory is "fuzzy"? You did a fantastic job and make a great CC historian.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:16pm
Sucks that the HM was replaced with a 302. Here a thread about the Separator.

Then there was this beast that showed up in a recent thread as well:

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
revkev6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revkev6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Hi and welcome. What do you mean by history? Era of production? I used to know this pretty well, but its fuzzy in my head now. YOu can review all of the historic brochures in the reference section to get up to speed. Separator came out in late 60s, 68 maybe and went through mid 70s. Mostly v-drives, but also came in an I/O version.   It had a twin, the torino, that was the same boat but with a conventional flat windshield. After a while, just the Separator name continued, and for a year or so had the option of bat boat or flat windshields, then at the end of its run, just the flat windshield. They are very cool boats in my mind, some folks like them, some not so much. There are a hand full on this site, most of them owned by member connorssons (Jeff Connors) I believe he has 5. He is just wrapping up restoration of a 71 or 2 I believe, I/O version, but really warmed it up. It is an upper 70s MPH boat, I believe. He did a beautiful restoration. He picked up a complete boat in good shape from florida, a beautiful blue one that was a good runner but I believe needed a little bit of work, and a couple other projects. As you noted, the downside is, they are not great ski boats. Too much weight in the rear, poor hole shot. Some have tried to combat that with trim tabs, but I don't know with how much success. Go to the diaries section and search torino and separator and you will see what there is around here, tho I dont think Jeff has too many, if any diary entries. Use the forum search feature to find threads about them as well. Yes, try to dig out your pictures and post them. Again, welcome.

Edit: found the thread on Jeff's rebuild. Unfortunately his early photos are missing, but still a good read, with photos of the rebuild showing up.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20140&KW=separator&PN=1&title=75-separator-rebuild

Edit II: Here is the blue one he picked up

thanks very much for that history! and yes, I was looking for model history, variants, numbers of hulls built, years etc. We had no idea what it was besides CC until I did a search for CC brochures about 5 years ago when I got curious. I did do a search on the forum before I posted but didn't find much. I will look through the link you posted. I happened to be in the "love them" group if only for the windshield. We did want to keep a 351 in it but couldn't find one for reasonable money at the time. this was a "cheap" project for them. they got lucky that a friend had bought a used boat for parts that had a runner 302 in it. they swapped pretty much everything out of the 351 into the 302 because the 351 was RR.

I recently picked up a vintage formula Jr. to restore. very similar boat to a donzi ski sporter/sweet 16 and its got me thinking about the last boat project!

when I get a chance I will see what I can do about those pictures. thanks again for the information
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 12:49pm
We would also luv pics of the Formula Jr. !!!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:00pm
Unfortunately, in our Reference/Brochures section, the Separator doesn't show up until 72. But here is a cut from the 68 (maybe 69? since we don't have that in our collection) brochure, that isn't included in the one we have that shows the Separator and one of its variations, the Spoiler. Not sure what made the Spoiler different, I am thinking engine, but again, not sure.

When I was digging out those brochure pics, I found a few others.

This was a restoration of a torino a guy on here did several years ago. He sold it to another member who put up a few posts then disappeared.

This one was found in the Maine woods by member "Riley" I considered picking it up myself and went up to check it out. I passed and told Jeff Connors about it. He drove over from MI to pick it up. It ran, which I wasn't sure of, but Jeff was willing to take the risk. He's much more qualified than I to fix/restore.

revkev6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revkev6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

We would also luv pics of the Formula Jr. !!!

The Formula is a 64 or 65. It's stripped bare and extremely rough but I got it for practically nothing. it had a takeout 454 sitting in the cockpit when I bought it and came with a usable trailer and all the paperwork. (big deal here in massachusetts) by the time I sold the tired 454 I had $150 into the boat. orginally came with a mercruiser IO in it so that will make repowering it with an alpha gen 2 pretty easy. most of the holes line up and the cutout needs to be made a bit larger. it was grungy from oil leaking out of the 454, and sitting in a backyard pile of old boats. all the wood and coring is gone so it will be LOTS of work.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by revkev6 revkev6 wrote:

I did do a search on the forum before I posted but didn't find much.

The built in search function sucks and spelling Separator wrong doesn't help...
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Sucks that the HM was replaced with a 302. Here a thread about the Separator.

Then there was this beast that showed up in a recent thread as well:

I love the sound of that boat more and more every time I watch that video.
1972 Mustang
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 2:24pm
I like that formula - cool boat! Seems to be about the same size as the Seperator, similar Hull design too, will really come on it's a Deep Vee, I guess that is no big deal. The Deck design at the stern reminds me a lot of the Donzi.

peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 3:01pm
I thought there was a connection between the two companies?   where are you in ma ? im on the north shore
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 3:34pm
"connection"     Yep,     Don Aronow.    Formula, Donzi, Magnum and I think some involvement with Cigarette 1.

There's a Jr. in a salvage yard not too far from me.   It's totally stripped and very rough.

revkev6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revkev6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

I thought there was a connection between the two companies?   where are you in ma ? im on the north shore

yes, as stated above, Don A.... he owned Formula and marked the formula 233 and the formula Jr before he sold the company. he then immediately started Donzi across the street and started pumping out the 16' ski sport which is very similar, the barrel back (back looks like the jr) 18 and up... lots of cool boats and go fast companies that Don was involved in. both the formula and the ski sport were designed after "wynn mill" racing boats.

and on the spelling mistake
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 5:30pm
that's exactly what I did, swapped the old mercruiser 888 outdrive with a alpha gen 2. so far so good! good luke on your build.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 7:36pm

and on the spelling mistake

I corrected the spelling in your thread title and opening post so this thread is a relevant future search result.
revkev6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revkev6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by connorssons connorssons wrote:

that's exactly what I did, swapped the old mercruiser 888 outdrive with a alpha gen 2. so far so good! good luke on your build.

I haven't checked the X dimension yet.. was it correct for the alpha??
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 10:44pm
why wouldnt you just buy a donor boat with a bravo bb chev
revkev6 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote revkev6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by peter1234 peter1234 wrote:

why wouldnt you just buy a donor boat with a bravo bb chev

it wouldn't fit! tiny engine compartment in these boats. probably sink it too. I'm trying to find a good deal on an alpha 2 boat with a cracked 350. strip it and find someone to take the rest away or scrap it. this boat will do around 60 with that combo. heard they get a little antsy above that speed anyway unless you start throwing tabs and such at them. I'll see how it goes. Living in western mass with an inland waterway speed limit takes the fun out of it. I have to trailer a ways to make use of a go fast boat.
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 9:42am
too bad this wasnt a yr ago i repowered my formula and disposed of a perfectly good 350 and alpha 1 from my formula
connorssons View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connorssons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:27pm
the holes are not perfect some small mods are required, but very easy switch, but do go with the gen 2 if not the bravo. if you cant locate a donor call a place in quincy mi called hildabrands marine, talk to Daniel and tell him jeff Connors sent ya 517 238 2828
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I did do a search on the forum before I posted but didn't find much.

The built in search function sucks and spelling Separator wrong doesn't help...

For better searches you can use the google site specific search:
separator site:correctcraftfan.com

-Keith
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
separator71 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote separator71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 10:44pm
Hi everyone. I just bought what I believe to be the only jet drive separator ever built. I am going to restore/customize it and possibly sell it. I don't have the batman windshields but I can easily make them if need be. I doubt everything is original. The jet pump is in great condition and is modern and it's got a 350 chevy. I design and build boats and tooling for a living and have the skills and equipment to do a really nice job on the refurb. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what the possible worth is of the boat and the best way to proceed. I have a cnc router in the shop and could do some custom dash/floor work (logos etc.) Is it worth it to put that kind of work into the boat and are there collectors out there that would be interested?...... I have paperwork from cc engineering declaring the boat is "too fast" and "too loose" for production so naturally I will name it "Too fast- Too loose" Ha Ha. Anyway, hopefully I'll meet some new friends because of this. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

cm
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 10:53pm
How about some pictures?

Most of us appreciate restoring classic boats like yours back to OEM condition.

Member Art Cozier was a CC employee & possibly can shed some light into your boat's original look.

Is the boat currently running? How fast is too fast?
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:11pm
Like any v-hull, these CC with drives that can be trimmed so the hull runs way out of the water get REALLY squirelly and chine walk like a M-er F-er. So if that jet drive will create bow lift and drive that thing over 60mph, I bet it gets "too loose!"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote separator71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:17pm
Thanks. Yes the boat runs but needs a few fixes (bad cables & other easy stuff) before I plan to use it on a regular basis. I'm into outboard tunnel hulls so for this boat to be too fast for me you'd have to drop it out of an airplane....and that might not do it either : ). Anyway, I was once an competitive 3 event skier and when I saw this thing I had to pick it up. I have started taking all the deck hardware off so I will post pics later but there are plenty pics of it on the internet....it had a dolphin sticker on the side and a "feelings" sticker on the back....I took both off before I let it in my shop. I'm probably going to mold the engine hatch/air intakes too if anyone needs. It's a cool looking old boat and seems like its really solid. It's got a jetavator also so there will be some 200 foot roostertails on the river this summer.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:31pm
Jeff Conners, (AKA Connerssons) I would say is the site expert on these boats. He has several, but I believe most of his are inboards. Jeff posted earlier ( Jan 25) on this thread. You may want to send him a Private Message and ask him to give you a call. Many of this site will recommend that you keep it original if at all possible.

Welcome to the site and good luck with your project. We love pictures. There is a nice handful of guys on this site with a ton of experience pushing these 16 and 17 foot hulls past their limits. They can also provide you a lot of advice and prayers.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:36pm
I seem to recall that jet separator on craigslist or somewhere a couple years ago, and as soon as I sa)w your post (without checking your location) was thinking florida, so maybe I am not imagining it. None of these boats, no matter how unique dont seem to earn a premium price. So I would say if you have a separator, even the one and only jet and you get it all fixed up, you probably still have a $7- $8,000ish boat.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:40pm
If the stars line up Larry. You are correct it was somewhere in Florida and had been posted on here before. Can't find it though would have liked to see how long it took to sell
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote separator71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 11:59pm
It was in Englewood near sarasota. I didn't buy it from the guy who was selling it. The guy traded it for some a/c work and it ended up in my brothers shop for some fixin up and to sell it. I did some horse trading to pick it up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic