Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 Ski Nautique Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ahayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 79 Ski Nautique Rebuild
    Posted: January-22-2016 at 7:03pm
Last May, I bought a 79 Ski Nautique. The floor and stringers are rotten, the upholstery is beyond saving, and there was a rudder strike it seems. I have been working on it slowly, while reading and researching what I need to do to fix it back up.

Some questions I have at this point:

1. Is 6063-T52 Aluminum Angle (Sharp Corner) 4" x 2" x 1/4" adequate for the engine cradle? I would prefer 6061 but I can't find 4x2 in that alloy.

2. If I switch to a single outlet exhaust like what is used in newer nautiques, can I skip the secondary stringers? The reason I ask, is because I may use that space under the floor for ballast tanks, using the dual exhaust ports for drain/fill. I haven't found a definite answer about how structural the secondaries are.

Thanks for your help. I am sure I will have more questions and updates soon.

79 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 7:46pm
Alan,
Welcome to CCfan and CC ownership. I wish you the best on your restoration. I feel you have found the spot for any questions that you may have. The site is loaded with members with the knowledge to help.

I'll try to answer some of your questions. Regarding the secondary stringers, it is thought they are there for both some hull support and then sole (floor) support. I suggest rethinking trying to get ballast in the area. If you calculate the available space, I feel you will find it won't add up to much weight.

Is there a reason you want to add a engine cradle? CC's have survived the early years without. If you do proceed, regular angle with the inside radius works as long as you radius the top of the stringers to accommodate.

Keep the pictures coming as well as your progress and remember to ask questions if needed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 9:20pm
Hi Alan,
You may be able to find a used cradle by posting a need on the appropriate section on this site, send up a smoke signal. Last year there was a used cradle on eBay for a long time, you might also check Craigslist, etc. With a little effort you may be able to locate one.

Relative to the angle: If you are dead set on the 6061 you can purchase a larger profile and cut down to size, e.g., buy a 4x3 and cut down to 4x2. Yes, there will be waste, but not a great amount. Metals Depot has a good selection and they ship pretty quick.

Concerning the water tanks and elimination of the secondaries. I like original, so my recommendation is for you to jettison that idea, but If you are seriously considering undertaking such a project my advice would be for you to think about the time factor between now and boating season. If you are planning on using the Nautique in 2016 you will likely need to invest approximately 350-450 man hours to get to the point where you can drop it in the water. Do the math-that is probably about 10-15 consistant hours a week to get there. If you decide to build and install tanks you are going to be adding lots of time, energy, and cash beyond the other thousands to just restore it to original. I think Pete is right-on, though. You should calculate the total volume you would be able to add before you begin. I am not sure the resulting benefit would be worth the effort, and expense. Take that advice for what it's worth.

As Pete says, you have found a good resource in this site and the many members collective experiences. You have a good looking Nautique there, I look forward to keeping up with your progress.

1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 10:19pm
Is that rudder original? My 78 has one that is more round at the back.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
ahayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 10:22pm
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have spent a lot of time studying your posts.

The engine cradle is to give extra support and peace of mind for an extended pylon and pulling ski show pyramids. If 6063 is adequate, I think I'd prefer to use that to avoid the work of cutting down a 4x3.

My quick calculations show about 300 lbs per side with tanks outboard of the secondaries. This puts me close enough to max capacity that I would be satisfied. I want it all under the floor so I can skip the complication of pumps, sacs, wiring, and lost interior space. This is not a big boat, that's for sure! On top of that, then there is the 10 minute wait for everything to fill using a pump system.

I saw HatterBee's method for his secondaries and it got the gears turning. Utilizing that extra space inboard of the secondaries would give me an extra 75 lbs per side.

You are right, there is not a lot of time left to get this thing on the water. The cutting starts this weekend.

Another question. Is it possible that my 79 has colors from 1980 production? My guess is that the stripes in the upholstery must be rust, wine, and driftwood, which are only shown for 1980, not 1979.
79 Ski Nautique
ahayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-22-2016 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by CrazyCanuck CrazyCanuck wrote:

Is that rudder original? My 78 has one that is more round at the back.

The rudder looks more like the ones that skidim sells. Don't think it is original. It is also slightly damaged.
79 Ski Nautique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2016 at 9:46am
The interior is not original, the tri-stripe pattern was not used until mid '83. 80-83.5 used solid color with oven mitt stamping. 79 would have had vertical stamping on a solid color.

I would encourage you to rethink the sub-floor ballast idea as well. Take a look at roger (uk1979) if you want to see how molded tanks can be done right... But you're not talking a lot of weight for all that extra engineering effort. Inviting water next to your freshly redone stringers also seems questionable- you'd need to go to great lengths to separate the 2. A stringer rebuild is enough work... KISS.

I do like the cradle idea though. Building one yourself shouldn't be hard if you have aluminum welding capabilities. I'd mimic the later (91 or 92+) version with respect to the pylon reinforcement- u-bolts are a simpler way to go.

You're right, rudder is not original.
ahayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-24-2016 at 1:33am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The interior is not original, the tri-stripe pattern was not used until mid '83. 80-83.5 used solid color with oven mitt stamping. 79 would have had vertical stamping on a solid color.

I would encourage you to rethink the sub-floor ballast idea as well. Take a look at roger (uk1979) if you want to see how molded tanks can be done right... But you're not talking a lot of weight for all that extra engineering effort. Inviting water next to your freshly redone stringers also seems questionable- you'd need to go to great lengths to separate the 2. A stringer rebuild is enough work... KISS.

I do like the cradle idea though. Building one yourself shouldn't be hard if you have aluminum welding capabilities. I'd mimic the later (91 or 92+) version with respect to the pylon reinforcement- u-bolts are a simpler way to go.

You're right, rudder is not original.

Thanks, I will look at the 91+ cradle.

I am happy to hear the upholstery is not original. I haven't been sure that I am a fan of the colors. Is it possible to look up what the boat originally was equipped with via vin or hull number?

edit: I sent an email to Correct Craft seeking information about the build, I doubt they still have records from 79 though.
79 Ski Nautique
ahayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2016 at 9:17pm
Spent an hour or so grinding and got the floor out. Looks about like I expected. Soft spots and rot around the seats, battery box, and tops of the secondaries.

79 Ski Nautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2016 at 10:32am
Looks like fun Alan! Keep up the good work you definitely have a mess there but Hey!........at least the dash looks good!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
ahayes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahayes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 4:49am
Been a while, but lots done since last check in.

3/4" marine ply, fir stringers.
No secondary stringers, several ribs to support the floor.
Biax and epoxy.
Single exhaust, using the old exhaust tips to fill the sub floor.

Aluminum cradle and floor panel holders are this week's task.

79 Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2018 at 7:26am
Alan,
Looking great. You've been putting in the hours and I know it will pay off with great times on the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic