NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mustang 17 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
Author
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 7:29am
Getting ready to shoot the port side. Masked off finally. Prep work takes much longer than actually painting. Word of advice for those wanting to have a sign shop make their masks: have them make them in a contrasting color. Nearly impossible to see the font with white mask on white hull. Live and learn! (Learn means " I'm not doing another one of these!!!)

Hard to see the Mustang lettering

You can see what I mean with the number mask
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 7:56am
Nice work.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 8:50am
Very nice indeed!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 6:19pm
Productive day. Painted stripes and lettering on port side today. That should wrap up the paint work. Give it some time to harden out and I can wet sand and finish buff the hull sides and bottom. BTW I have the font graphics on file if anybody else needs them. Any sign shop should be able to convert them to their file type. Not perfect but very close to original.

First "tack" coat shot

Painted and masks pulled
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 6:30pm
I like it! Fantastic Duane.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 9:20pm
Thanks for the kind words!! Hope to flip it back onto it's feet soon. Hope the Reunion listings will start showing up so I can plan on attending some events. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2016 at 10:08pm
That came out awesome.

Nice job

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
crabman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crabman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 1:55pm
Awesome Job so far!
https://youtube.com/shorts/D6xrs4xlDVY?si=uOaaduvSAlFcLOAU
swilliams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swilliams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 5:53pm
Awesome! How about doing a Martinique in Cincy?LOL..seriously that is very nice!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2016 at 11:33pm
Nice job Duane! Hope to see it in person someday
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Alex47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2016 at 6:15pm
WOW!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2017 at 8:23pm
Well back on the hull again. Flipped it back on it's feet again. Prepped the deck and shot the gel coat. Hopefully that is the last of the gel to shoot. Ground out a lot of stress cracks and filled them in along with numerous screw holes that are no longer needed.   Give it a few days to cure out and then wet sand and buff. Appointment with the interior guy to lay the carpet in a week. Busy week in store.

Prepped and ready

Gel shot

I stripped the vinyl off the 3 scoops and they are in such good shape I a considering shooting a quick coat of gel on them instead of recovering. They could be used as is except the color might be off a bit.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 6:25pm
Sneak preview of what's been going on with the Mustang project. More to come after the sanding and final buff.

If I leave the scoop gelled then I will carry the stripe thru. Otherwise may cover it back with vinyl. (which is the same color as stripe)   Thoughts????
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 9:59pm
Hi Duane

How about solid blue gelled scoops front and rear?

I think that would look good, but then I'm not looking at it in person

Aren't there lotsa screw holes in those scoops? I don't remember..
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2017 at 10:32pm
I vote for the recover of the scoop
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-08-2017 at 8:09am
I say leave it gelled with the stripe going through it.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2017 at 7:47pm
Well 15 months from the time I pulled the engine till it sits back on the mounts today. Did not even take time to clean out my tools and mess before I took a pic. Lots of work yet ahead but light at the end of the tunnel now. Will post more as I clean up the mess and start buttoning it up. Wiring is all run and just a few wires to hook up on the engine. Wiring was a big concern but it went well. 100% rewired.   . Duane

1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2017 at 10:46pm
Almost 16 months since she was in the water.   New stringers, gel coat, floors, no foam except underside of bow cap, new .060 engine with many mods.   Anyway made it to the lake today and lake conditions were terrible. White caps 3 feet high. Launched and finally found some decent water. Running an ACME 540 prop. Have a 5400 RPM rev limiter chip in the MSD box. Made a few passes to get a feel and then made several aggressive passes. I have a set of manually adjustable trim tabs that I will photo in the morning that were set flat, with no trim added.   Boat porpoised some at around 45 - 48 mph.   Not bad but noticeable. It easily drove thru them and at 5200 RPM was showing 56 MPH on first pass. Return pass was up to almost 60 MPH. Acceleration was unbelievable compared to the stock engine. Never did let the boat run on out since the engine has such low hours and the 5400 chip. Really don't want to exceed 5400 anyway.   I will put a little trim in it and try some more. I can see where more prop would help or just live with what I have and not push the envelope.
Now the bad:    Lost reverse somehow. Will trouble shoot that tomorrow and see where that leads. 1200 hours on the tranny so it may get a total rebuild.
Temps and pressures were right where I want them on the engine. More later,   Duane
FloTek heads must be doing their job!!
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 12:21am
Way to go it's got to be a great feeling Duane. Now you know what they say "Pictures or it didn't happen"
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 3:51am
Nice to have some power on tap for when three or four friends all want to barefoot at once! 60 mph. Dang. Wait until she's broken in.

Reverse. Yeah. Time for some rebuilt action. Better now and DIY than mid-season. I'm really impressed with your craftsmanship, Duane.

How do any of you get rid of that bounce without risking planting the nose?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 5:59am

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 11:10am
Looking forward to seeing and taking a ride in this boat at lakes James in July.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 11:19am
Few more shots of the rebuild. Still have a floor panel to install along with the engine cover. Lot's of finish work to do and also the final buff and polish on the new gel and graphics. Now the first order of business is to figure out the tranny issue. Sounds like I will be rebuilding it. Might as well as everything else in the boat is new.

1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 11:24am
Carb is setting perfectly flat now. Milled the intake manifold as much as the casting would allow and then machined a wedge spacer to make it level. Quite a bit of wedge added to achieve getting it where I wanted it.

1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 11:39am
More Mustang 17 shots. Rear shot show the trim tabs and the 3 1/2" exhaust turn downs. They have flappers built into them also. Built them here at my shop.
ps. gathering parts for the new trailer also.

1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 11:44am
These are the manually adjustable tabs. Milled pockets in the hull so they sit flush when not deployed and will create no drag. They are attached at the front and you just loosen the wing nuts and move the rear down and relock. They are approx 6 inches square. May never use them but they are there to play with. Exhaust flapper is visible also.

1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 12:31pm
Sounds strong Duane, but how were you measuring speed? A stock 540 isn't going to overturn much, if any- it'll run darn close to 1:1 speed vs rpm. I can't fathom how you'd get 60 if you're only turning 5400.

Also, be very careful with those tabs- at higher rates of speed, keeping the nose high is an important safety concern... if it porpoises then you're in the safe zone. Forcing the nose down can cause very dangerous behavior.
SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 12:34pm
Very impressive. My hats off to you
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Sounds strong Duane, but how were you measuring speed? A stock 540 isn't going to overturn much, if any- it'll run darn close to 1:1 speed vs rpm. I can't fathom how you'd get 60 if you're only turning 5400.

Used the AP on my phone. Strong winds so not sure how accurate because I didn't do back to back opposite direction runs Even yet it runs very good. Acceleration is awesome compared to the boat before rework. Prop bought used and the previous owner said he had it worked on and didn't like it so I bought it. The tranny is original and I should have rebuilt it while the boat was down. Lost reverse. Just trying to gather as much info as I can so I can tackle the rebuild. Any suggestions are appreciated. Duane
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2017 at 1:19pm
Bummer on the tranny. Bring a real GPS along next time, or download the Navionics app, that has proven to be accurate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345>
  Share Topic