Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

AL TYLL SKIIER

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AL TYLL SKIIER
    Posted: February-12-2016 at 12:59am

Just found this site while surfing around. I am proud to say that I owned an Al Tyll Skiier which was originally owned and used by the one and only Al Tyll. I first tried out the boat on a visit to Al's home on Bantam Lake. I don't recall lot about it but the driver sat on the left side, the deck and hull were an awesome red color with a white water line stripe and it was powered by a Buick Revley engine with fresh water cooling.

It is said that the boat was designed by AL who was Men's Trick Champion at the time and had a tall wake which was perfect for tricking but had a wake like a brick wall for slalom and Al had added manually operated trim tabs which smoothed the wake out a bit for slalom. The tabs had to be carefully adjusted since they tended to emit large blobs of water which would smack you in the face at slalom speeds.

I was never much of a trick skier so slalom was my game. In fact, I was terrified of skiing backwards and Al's patient coaching broke my fright. I'll never forget his words, "Just get backwards and hang on!" I did and it worked!

The ATS was a great first inboard and had all the power one could ever hope for in that class boat and more. I graduated to the ATS from a Glasspar G-3 with a 90 Merc and went from the ATS to the first of many Nautiques...

The Meloons made a great boat and still do. I had many, many hours of good fun with the Correct Craft line and at 78, hope to get back into skiing in the next year or so, but it will be slow and easy. Banana George I am not!
John Bauer
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 5:39am
John,
Thanks for the bit of history. It's always interesting to hear especially from someone that's actually been there. I'm glad you found us and keep coming back.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 8:00am
Cool story. I wonder if that was the same boat that my family test drove in '67-68. Were you involved with the Bantam ski club?
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 10:49am
No, I wasn't involved at Bantam Lake, in fact, I lived in Virginia. Only skied on Bantam twice when I bought that boat and m,any years later, a Hydrodyne, also from Al. Not even sure how I hooked up with him the first time, but I think I just gave him a call on the phone. He and his wife Chris were most hospitable. I do recall that Bantam was very cold. Towed both boats back to my Virginia home and used them on the Occoquan River which connects to the Potomac south of Washington, DC
John Bauer
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 11:18am
Wow! Lived in nw ct al my life and never heard about Al Tyll having a home at bantam lake. Great story. Where is the boat now?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 11:41am
Pretty sure Al was originally from Bantam? I assumed he grew up there.

Any idea what happened to the boat? That sure would be cool to track down.
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 12:05pm
Thanks for your welcome Brainard.

I don't know if I will get back into boats again or not. I had a lot of fun in my water skiing days but getting too old for that nonsense now. Also, I can't believe what a new Nautique costs these days and that is the only way I would go. Not to mention the cost of fuel, which although very cheap now, is bound to rise again. We used to use about 12 gallons a day, 5 days a week skiing and that would break the budget these days. Dock fees, launching and storage fees have also risen and living on a fixed income doesn't quite hack it..

A friend has just restored his Mustang (I think it is) after some 25 years sitting in his garage. He had to do a lot of engine work, replaced the instruments, floor and fuel tank along with some other things. Several interesting things about this boat: It originally had a foot operated throttle which was replaced with a Teleflex early on, still has a dash mounted shifter and has a 6 cylinder Buick engine. The driver sits on the left side. He did a huge amount of work shining the hull and deck and it looks like a new boat. He gets a lot of interest and complements at the marina. Propped as it is, he gets a solid 40 flat out on the Air Guide tournament speedometer. It is almost enough to get me interested again.

Cheers,
John Bauer
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 12:20pm
Al and his wife lived in a geodetic dome type house. It was water front on the lake with his own private dock There was a lot of glass in the house and I guess it was a bit difficult to heat in the Winter.

I called Al about 6 years ago and we had a nice conversation. I understand that after spending many years in Florida, that he has moved back to Litchfield. I don't know if he has hung up his skis, but he was several years older than me which would put him in his early 80's. I am sure he is in excellent physical shape since he was always very health and exercise conscious.

I'll never forget the line , I believe which was from one of his bools which went something like." It was Winter, there was snow on Bantam Lake....." This was an intro to a photo story of a pulley arrangement Al had rigged up so he could practice some of his tricks on dry land when it was too cold to practice on water. I remember Al's famous toe hold side slide which he could hols for 20 seconds or more and became a signature for his skiing prowess.
The many times I tried it, it wound up being a toe hold split. OUCH! I never could hold it long enough to get scored on it and I always put it at the end of my second pass since it always ended the run.
John Bauer
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 12:27pm
Forgot to mention the boat. I recall I had a tough time selling it for whatever reason and wound up trading it to a dealer near Annapolis, MD for my first Nautique. I don't know what fate finally befell it and doubt after all this time, that I could ever find out. I do recall the dealer's name was Al Higgins but don't remember the name of the dealership.

I also forgot to mention that I don't know where Al came from. I do recall that he was a showman, but never let his fame go to his head. He was always very kind to me and as far as I know, everyone else he came in contact with
John Bauer
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 12:41pm
We have got to get Al on the shot ski at the next Benjamin Bayou Blast
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by john22202 john22202 wrote:

A friend has just restored his Mustang (I think it is) after some 25 years sitting in his garage. He had to do a lot of engine work, replaced the instruments, floor and fuel tank along with some other things. Several interesting things about this boat: It originally had a foot operated throttle which was replaced with a Teleflex early on, still has a dash mounted shifter and has a 6 cylinder Buick engine.

John,
Sounds like your friend has a Tahoe. Same hull as the Mustang and came with the Buick which only came in a LH rotation hence the port side helm. Make sure you tell him about us. We'd sure like him to join the group.   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 3:37pm
I thought the Tahoes were v8's as referenced in that brochure. 6cyl makes me think it's a skylark, which also was LH drive in the same Mustang hull... But typically got the Buick v6.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 4:32pm
John, welcome to the site and thank you for the terrific story about Al Tyll. I mentioned this in the other thread, all through the years we had a book by Al Tyll showing technique on all types of skiing and tricks, was interesting in the younger days and a chuckle looking through it over the years. I'll post some pictures from the book, should bring back some memories for you.

Chris Tyll was featured in the book, very attractive lady!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I thought the Tahoes were v8's as referenced in that brochure. 6cyl makes me think it's a skylark, which also was LH drive in the same Mustang hull... But typically got the Buick v6.

John,
Tim may be correct. Check with your friend when you get a chance and see which model he has. If he still has the CC serial number plate typically next to the engine on a stringer, a letter prefix will tell which model it is.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 6:01pm
Welcome to the site. Great story. Do you have any old photos of the boat?
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 6:15pm
Hi Riley,

I have some photos of the boat somewhere and will look for them when I get a chance. Unfortunately, most of them are black and white.

We had or 6 Correct Crafts in out ski club at one time and I have a shot of them under weigh, somewhere. Our club was the Occoquan Water Ski Club based in Northern Virginia near DC. It finally disbanded due to non member parents turning their teen agers loose with high powered boats which endangered our skiers and used our slalom course for boat contests rather than ski competition.

Some of us moved to Buggs Island Lake on the VA/NC border. It was huge and had many coves where one could ski all day on water like glass and rarely see another boat. The bad news was that the lake was 3.5 hours from this area if you were towing a boat and most of us had to camp out for the weekend. This situation made it near impossible for working folks to spend any quality time at the lake. Slowly but surely most serious members gave it up and either took their chances at the old ski location or just gave it up.. Several of us bought lots on the lake with plans to build but never did. I just wich I had kept my 1. acres. It is worth really big money now.
John Bauer
john22202 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john22202 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2016 at 11:05pm
Finally got hold of my friend and his boat is a Skylark with a V-6 Buick engine. The engine color is brown if that means anything. Seems like Correct Craft named several smaller models after Buicks.
John Bauer
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 12:42am
Here's a few pages from the book. Al was ripped, looked like Jack LaLanne's physique.

'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 1:09am
Great stuff.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 10:48pm
Toehold sideslide ya buddy
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 10:52pm
Wakesurfing both sides same time
This is the life
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 11:45pm
I've got that book on my shelf as well, along with another book on skiing from the 60s as well as both editions of John Gillettes book, both signed. The two books from the 60s are all I had to go by when I taught myself to barefoot in 1972.

Also, I almost bought this Al Tyll in 2004. I went to look at it, but then learned that the seller also had my Tique, which I opted to buy.

Wayne929 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne929 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2017 at 12:10am
I was looking for my old boss Al Tyll In 1971,72,73 I lived on Deer Island Bantam Lake. I was in high school (Wamogo) . I had a lawn mowing business and I cut Al's lawn (for free) and he taught me how to ski. I would spot for him and his wife Chris many times and most of the time Chris would have to stop the boat because Al would have us laughing so hard with antics, she couldn't drive anymore. FUN TIMES!! I have taught many in the days since then. All my kids and many more. He taught me the right way to help people the right way to water ski. I know he was in Florida. Have him on my Facebook page but have not heard from him in a while
Wayne Hearn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic