NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tying up boat with mooring cover

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tying up boat with mooring cover
    Posted: February-19-2016 at 8:30am
I ordered a new Mooring cover this week from Angola Canvas. I also found a Marina to store my boat in a slip on the water.

Yesterday I realised I don't know how to tie the boat up to the dock and started looking into that. Most boats I see will use cockpit covers we kept on a slip but can I still use my mooring cover if the boat is left in the water this season?

Anybody got advice on how they tie thier boats up?

96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 8:37am
My "mooring cover" has a velcro flap above the forward and aft lifting rings. and since these boats werent equipped with cleats thats what i use to tie up to dock.
I can easily put the cover on then swap the lines to the outside of the canvas.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 8:51am
Paul,
Call Angola and tell them your intended use. BTW, you bought a great cover.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
michiel200 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michiel200 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 9:32am
My Angola cover has openings and flaps above the cleats. So I can dock the boat in a box in a marina. First I fit the cover at the front and work backwards. I pull and secure an elastic rope in the cover at the stern standing on the platform. And leave the boat at the back.
The material is sunbrella and still looks and works perfect after 6 seasons! Great cover.
'92 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 12:28pm
When covered, I tie up using the bow eye and for the stern, I installed eye bolts in the platform brackets that I hook lines to.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 1:59pm
Thanks everybody for the info, looks like there are a few options with the cover I have. I spoke to Angola and the cover is made, so if I need to I'll get it adjusted locally if I decide I need access to the cleats.
96 Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 8:05pm
Wonder if you can get a lift for your slip? Mooring always seems to eventually get the foam wet.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-19-2016 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

Wonder if you can get a lift for your slip? Mooring always seems to eventually get the foam wet.

Hhhmm, is this a real concern? You've got me a little worried. I found a Marina on the lake near me that has slips for $1000 for the season. I don't have the best tow vehicle or trailer so wanted something in the lake for this season.

96 Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 12:27am
Paul it's good that your boat is all glass without wood stringers. It's so much better for everything to get it out of the water in my opinion. No hull blistering, never have to worry about battery running low and bilge filling up in heavy rain, and things tend to stay drier above the water with less mildew. That's been my experience in only a short 5 years of boat ownership. I moored my first boat for a season and pretty sure it soaked the foam and that never dries out. I bought a better cover and a lift after that season of mooring. No regrets. A used lift won't lose value and it's just an added level of protection.

I don't mean to worry you. That's not a good thing. Others may tell you otherwise. I'm
Trying to find a canopy for my lift to go one step further and that's with a boat much like yours (96 Super Sport).
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 8:28am
And make sure your packing gland is properly adjusted.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 10:22am
Mooring in the water is no more likely to soak the foam than mooring out of the water. Water will make its way in from the inside out- cracks, voids, screw holes, deteriorated air hoses and batt box drains, etc. Its not coming through the hull. Composite vs wood makes no difference either, wet foam is wet foam.

Storing in water definitely makes a mess of the hull and platform though. Keep a good coat of wax on it and scrub it weekly and it can be managed. Gel blisters and eventually cracking are the biggest long term risks. But it'll usually take years for them to develop.

Where to tie the boat when mooring depends on the dock or anchor set up...
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 6:42pm
I'm gonna weight my boat before I put it in the water to see what the foam situation is. And I'll monitor it to see if it gets worse over the season. Plan is to moore it on the water this summer while I sort out my trailer situation (either repair or replace the one ive got) and hopefully have a better option next year.

I got a nice new cover to keep the rain off.

96 Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 8:17pm
What body of water in NY?
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 8:41pm
Greenwood Lake in NY/NJ. Its the closest Lake to me.
96 Super Sport
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2016 at 9:29pm
I used to work maybe 25 minutes from there in Chester. Nice lake.

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2016 at 1:19am
Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

I used to work maybe 25 minutes from there in Chester. Nice lake.

Great, I've only seen the lake in the winter but the pictures look nice. Looking forward to spring to see how it all changes.
96 Super Sport
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 3:18pm
You should have access to both aft lifting rings unless you have a platform cover, which I doubt since it'll be constantly wet. I'm not sure a full season of mooring from a removable platform bracket is a good idea.

Then use the bow eye.

Criss crossed in the back and a V in the front will be well protected from dock rash.

Tent the cover high and tie it down tight. Hopefully you sprung for Sunbrella.

Good condition battery, no parasitic draw, good bilge pump, properly sealed up exhaust and packings you'll be fine, except for the scum line...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2016 at 3:51pm
or add a couple of these suckers

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic