Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CC Barracuda Serial Number

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CC Barracuda Serial Number
    Posted: March-03-2016 at 9:14pm
I just bought what I was told was a 1966 Correct Craft Barracuda SS. I haven't picked it up yet but was told that the serial number is RS-2007. That just doesn't sound right to me. Is there a list of serial numbers that covers boats that old? Can anyone tell me the years the Barracuda was made...from when to when? It looks like the 1969 I restored aside from the engine box. Any help would be appreciated.
Striving for mediocrity !
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 9:58pm
Jan,
Get more information on that serial # that was given to you. It should start with a BSS.
Art may be able to help but it may take some time since I know he's pretty backed up with requests.
I'm curious as to why you are looking for information. Are you planning on a true restoration?
BTW, by posting pictures, you will probably get more information from the members than what the old CC records will tell. The only thing of interest may be what engine the factory installed. You mention the dog house. They were different for different engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:10pm
The engine is a Chrysler 318...of that much I'm sure. I 'ma buying the boat without a title. The seller "thinks" it's a 1966 but admits that he really doesn't know. I'd just like to know what I bought. My restoration plans are indefinite. I haven't actually seen the boat. The condition will determine what I do and to what extent.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:18pm
Barracudas were made from 1965 until 1970, although I have seen some indicated on CCF as a year or 2 later than 1970. Our 1966 SS # starts with BARR, same as all the regular cudas. We've picked up 2 68 SS cudas which started with BSS.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:19pm
Haven't seen it? Hope you got it for a song, these boats can be... Cluster****s when not taken care of
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:23pm
Exactly where is the serial number located on a Barracuda? I've seen the photos. It's 100% complete and running...real decent shape, perfect glass windshield, good chrome, etc. And yes, I got a good deal.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Nautilus Nautilus wrote:

Exactly where is the serial number located on a Barracuda? I've seen the photos. It's 100% complete and running...real decent shape, perfect glass windshield, good chrome, etc. And yes, I got a good deal.

The hull ID number, if it is still there, will be on an aluminum plate about 1 X 3 inches that is nailed to the port-side (left-hand side, for landlubbers) engine stringer between the front and the rear engine mount. That was the case until 1969-70, when the USCG ruled that it would be on the forward starboard-side coaming on our type of boat. Later is was required that it would be engraved in the transom.

On your barracuda, if the aluminum plate is gone, you might be able to find the HID number on some of the wooden parts of the boat if they are original. The back side of the fuel tank cover is a good bet. Some were written on the back side of the dashboard. If you have wooden seats, could be on some of the panels inside, or if you're lucky, on the bottoms.
"Art"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:36pm
Post some pics and we can nail the year down for you. The dash tells the most.
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:40pm
OK, after a another conversation with the seller, I was able to determine that the serial number is BSS-2007. Anyone know what year that indicates?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 10:46pm
We've had BSS2000 and BSS1998 and they were both 1968s. Does it have the newer style wood looking wheel?
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2016 at 11:03pm
Thanks...that almost certainly makes it a 1968. I can't remember how to post a photo here but the steering wheel is not original so that's no help.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 10:37pm

OK, after a another conversation with the seller, I was able to determine that the serial number is BSS-2007. Anyone know what year that indicates?

I can tell you that the BSS means it's a Barracuda Super Sport, meaning that it has 2 bucket seats with a console between them and probably dual-lever shift/throttle controls. Instruments included stuff like a clock and a barometer!
"Art"
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2016 at 11:37pm
If someone will re-educate me as to how to load photos, I'll post some of the Barracuda which I brought home today.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 6:18am

If someone will re-educate me as to how to load photos, I'll post some of the Barracuda which I brought home today.

Jan,
Use the "post reply" rather than the "quick reply". Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow and a browse box will come up allowing you to select a picture off your computer.
We'll be anxiously waiting to see what you picked up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 1:17pm
OK...here's the Barracuda as found/purchased.

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 1:21pm
Cool Boat!
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 1:31pm
What a beautiful boat! The hull looks to be in great condition. Based on the seats, side panels, rear vents and pylon, I'd say definitely a '68.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 1:48pm
Jan,
Great find. As Bruce mentions, the hull looks to be in good shape. Some wet sanding and a buff will get to back better than new. Any mention on the stringer condition? What are your plans for the boat. Keep us informed. Besides the wheel, the only non original thing I notice is the swim platform.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 1:56pm
I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't like the plans I have for the boat so I'll keep them to myself. However, the guy I purchased it from told me that he was going to brush the entire boat with Thompson's Water Seal to make it shiny again and so it would shed water. I have to believe that the boat will be better off with my plans than his.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 2:09pm

I know you well enough to know that you wouldn't like the plans I have for the boat so I'll keep them to myself. .

Jan,
I know you well enough as well and not keeping my thoughts to myself will see another classic go down.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 2:15pm
That boat is beautiful and will come back like this one did with wet sanding.

You do beautiful custom work, but that boat is so well preserved...

I'll trade you this boat here, which is begging for a custom restoration job, plus money.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 2:42pm
sorry to chime in late my 69 barracuda ss is number bss 2072 still a work in progress.
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 3:19pm
Great find! Could you take a close up of the center console area where the Barracuda SS script is. I have been trying to figure out what the "SS" logo actually looks like. Mine is long gone and I have never seen one.

Thanks
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 3:27pm
I guess I just don't understand the unbending loyalty to originality that most of you guys seem to have. I'll add a couple photos of the other Barracuda I "restored." You honestly don't like it? You believe it has been ruined and that I am a Correct Craft pariah? Is there really zero room for improvement and personal touches?

Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 3:30pm
The boat is in storage. Send me an email. I'll send you a close-up photo of the SS badge in the next few days.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 3:31pm
That's a beautiful boat. Don't confuse me with Pete. I just think the boat you have is so well preserved, I would restore it without doing everything over. Want to trade?
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 3:41pm
The photos belie the actual condition of the gelcoat. You can't see the 10,000+ little cracks and spider webs. Buffing the topsides would be pointless. Either painting or re-gel-coating is a must. Thanks for the offer but I plan to keep this boat for myself. It took me two years to find the right one at the right price in the right location. I'd never be that fortunate again.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 3:49pm
Well I guess it suffers from the same thing this Skylark does from being left out in the sun too long. I've been looking at Barracudas for years, and yours looks like one of the better ones I've seen, although the cracks are not visable. The custom work you've posted is the best I've ever seen. I hope you post pics of the project as you go.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 4:04pm
That boat was on ebay, Georgia, right?
Tim D
Nautilus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautilus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2016 at 4:24pm
Yes. I hit "buy it Now" for $1,500 but after looking at the boat and haggling with the owner, I bought it for $800.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic