NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

whistle while at work

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 1:52am
Eddie had me sign a waiver that John was not to open the motorbox with out another CCF member present
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 11:48pm
Pretty Sure I need The same waiver.

adjusted carb which should lean it up a little, also took some choke out.

No why it was not super smooth, notice how clean the Number 8 plug was Almost like the spark plug boot was not all the way on.
Hope nothing got messed up. I ran it hard, 5k and 45mph on seven cylinders
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 11:58pm
Changed out the old breather and went with this style. The old one with hose hooked to arrestor was pulling oil into filter.

Plugs seem to getting a burn way down the base. kinda a long white streak?
Lakedog55
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 12:03am
pic of breather

Lakedog55
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 1:45am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Eddie had me sign a waiver that John was not to open the motorbox with out another CCF member present

true that

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 9:23am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

Leaned out carb some.

Could you expand on that?

The plugs do look much better in these last pics over what you originally posted. Like Tom, I'm interested in what you actually did to fix the problem.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 3:39pm
Hi,
Not sure its fixed, still dont like the plugs with the burn going so far down into base. Basically removed the one breather that had hose going to carb. Was getting oil sucked up into arrestor. Then turned the screw the other way on secondary adjustment. Coming in at 400o now. Can still feel them come in but nowhere like it was. Then retuned mixture screws on carb.
Cant wait to see what it does on 8 cylinders.

Thanks so much for all the input.
I think i need to widen gap on plugs. At 45 now
Was thinking 50. Maybe that would reduce burn down plug.
Mike

Lakedog55
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 11:55am
As Eddie would shortly explain as well
changing the idle mix will have no effect on the plug after a good romp.
One does not chase plug reading with the idle screws, one gets a good idle and off-idle response with the idle screws, thats it.

I think your concern about the plugs appearnce is not founded in method.

your plugs went from dark to an improved white somehow, and im most certain it wasn't anything to do with the idle screws,

Your looking at the wrong spot on the plug to determine anything further than grey, white, tan,dark, and unless you buy parts and open up the carb, one is not yet jetting. If this were a stock carb with stock jetting, you would not be in any danger of damaging the engine even if you read the plugs incorrectly. But it is not a factory carb,, and its calibration is a bit unkown. For instance, if you found the same mains as a stock carb in there, its only relevent if one also has the same air bleeds and pvco's.

The question remains, how did your plugs lighten up to normal looking. Possibly the oil soaked KN is more restrictive and caused a richer condition with at the higher cfm throttle positions. But since the air bleeds are in the same airbox, i suspect it should balance out better then that.

To do this right, wot plug chops with fresh plugs, secondaries disabled, Learn how to view and measure the width of the soot ring on the base of the insulator to set the mains.

Then rinse/repeat with secondaries active.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 12:43pm
Tom nailed it.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 6:16pm
Thanks guys,
I knew I would get chopped on the idle mixture. Have not had chance to do anymore testing. Lisa's mom had a heart attack and we have been busy. Maybe this weekend.

Posting a pic of carb jetting. only change in this is primary squirter size. Put in a bigger one at first had a stumble I could not figure out. Turns out that was bowl setting.
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic