Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

63 Chris Craft

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
84SNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 63 Chris Craft
    Posted: April-12-2016 at 4:52pm

I have an opportunity to purchase an 63 Chris Craft 17 ft. I think it would be a nice project but it may be more than I can tackle. The boat has been stored for the last 23 years in a building. The story is the motor was rebuilt and ran fine when stored. My question is with the lower skin. Looks to me that it would all have to be replaced and that may be more than I could do along with the cost. Considering the repairs and then the continuous maintenance, I think this boat is above my level,,,, any thoughts, comments.??
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 5:06pm
There is no doubt it needs a new bottom. The real surprise is what you will find when you peel the old one off. Unfortunately not much value there with that model and year and you will have more into it than it will ever be worth so make sure you really want to go down that road to own a wooden boat.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 5:45pm
I totally agree with Alan with it needing a new bottom (5200 is the only bottom system to go with) as well as the money spent would exceed the value. I'm not saying it can't be done but typically with a very common model during that era it's done for nostalgic reasons. A good reference to what it takes for a new bottom, Alan's Hurricane thread would be great to take a look at. If you do look at it, just keep in mind that on a Chris, only the bottom is double planked whereas CC built their planked boats with double planked hull sides too. If the seller tells you all it needs is some soaking, he ether doesn't know what he's talking about or he's lying. You may be able to get several seasons out of it but, make sure the bilge pump works!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 6:05pm
Pete, what is up with the horn ring on the steering wheel?

I see the shifter lever on the floor, but where is the throttle - I can't image it would be part of the horn ring... Maybe it is column mounted tractor style?
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 6:11pm
The horn ring should operate the actual horn.   Throttle is the little black knob, right corner.

Looks like they've been tasting the rainbow.

I wouldn't leave Skittles in the bilge.   Ants can also eat wood.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 6:34pm
Steve,
I never really liked the vernier push pull throttles since they seemed awkward to use. You had to pay close attention when using them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

The horn ring should operate the actual horn.   Throttle is the little black knob, right corner.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Steve,
I never really liked the vernier push pull throttles since they seemed awkward to use. You had to pay close attention when using them.

Thanks Guys! Same set up as the Cessna, can't imagine that in a boat, but then couldn't imagine the center steering wheel throttle either...
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Unfortunately not much value there with that model and year and you will have more into it than it will ever be worth so make sure you really want to go down that road to own a wooden boat.

Probably unusual for a Chris, but par for the course for a Correct Craft, wood or fiberglass.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 7:19pm
They were great as a cruise control.
Trying to pull skiers with that set-up would make me quit pulling skiers.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Unfortunately not much value there with that model and year and you will have more into it than it will ever be worth so make sure you really want to go down that road to own a wooden boat.

Probably unusual for a Chris, but par for the course for a Correct Craft, wood or fiberglass.

Just not much value in that model Bruce, there is a rougher than this boat 1961 Chris 17' Ski boat sold at Antique boat center with a 283 for $5000. There's a real nice one in California for $12,995,   Is a completely correctly restored boat worth $15k, you're still upside down so like Pete said this boat would need to have sentimental value for him to restore it. He'd be better off finding a good usable running boat that might need paint and varnish than one that needs a bottom.
84SNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84SNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2016 at 6:32pm
Thanks guys for the input and comments. I think I will let this one ride. Just can't beat my 84 2001..........thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic