Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What alternator for 1980 SKi Nautique ?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What alternator for 1980 SKi Nautique ?
    Posted: April-14-2016 at 5:04am

After finally testing my old un regulated alternator it is official and she is burned out!

Where does one buy a new alternator for these beast? I don't know if my voltage regulator works and would prefer to get an internally regulated one. If so, which alternator do I get and how difficult is it to rewire?

Thanks again for all the help.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 7:16am
Originally posted by sailsail sailsail wrote:

After finally testing my old un regulated alternator it is official and she is burned out!

Where does one buy a new alternator for these beast? I don't know if my voltage regulator works and would prefer to get an internally regulated one. If so, which alternator do I get and how difficult is it to rewire?

Bill,
I'm curious who did the testing to determine the alternator is bad? Did you do some testing or did you take your alternator someplace? If the problem is a diode(s) in the alternators full wave rectification, that's an easy fix and I'd say the least expensive. If this is an option you may consider, the regulator needs checking too. You need to tell us more.
I did a search for you on a one wire and came one with some information.
One wire alternator
Here's some info from Ebasic and a good source for a one wire.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 8:09am
Good morning.

Thanks for your reply!

The auto shop said it was bad and I am not on the mood to dig into fixing this thing.
I like the one wire set up in that forum post you linked. However he does not list the part number of the alternator? I don't want to order something and then end up having to replace pullies or mount bushings. I searched IBoats, west marine, and Sierra marine catalogs and can't find an alternator that I know will work 100%!

I really want to get the alternator taken care of asap so I can work on getting my idle down (it's at 1200rpm) and possibly fix my timing issues (which may be part of the idle issue) I'll go into details of those in another post.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 8:41am
You can always call SkiDIm and see if they have the correct one for your year boat. Here is a link to their alternator selection.

As a forum member, you also get a 10% discount on parts once per year.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 8:46am
Thank you!
Would this be a good replacement?

http://www.skidim.com/mobile/ALTERNATOR-MANDO-PCM-GM-V-Belt-Pulley/productinfo/RA097006A/

I assume this is just two wires, ground and hot? Wouldn't ground through the mount?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2016 at 9:15am

Thank you!
Would this be a good replacement?

http://www.skidim.com/mobile/ALTERNATOR-MANDO-PCM-GM-V-Belt-Pulley/productinfo/RA097006A/

I assume this is just two wires, ground and hot? Wouldn't ground through the mount?

Direct link
Bill,
JP has a good suggestion - call and confirm. Tell them exactly what engine you have to eliminate your guessing.

You can also ask about the grounding. Yes, it's grounded via the mounting but, many times grounds through bolts aren't always the best. Notations on grounding are also on Skidims site. Looking at their site You may also need this depending on the alternator you need.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2016 at 2:15am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Bill,
I'm curious who did the testing to determine the alternator is bad? Did you do some testing or did you take your alternator someplace? If the problem is a diode(s) in the alternators full wave rectification, that's an easy fix and I'd say the least expensive. If this is an option you may consider, the regulator needs checking too. You need to tell us more.
I did a search for you on a one wire and came one with some information.
One wire alternator
Here's some info from Ebasic and a good source for a one wire.

I went ahead and ordered a one wire alternator from Ebasic! I'll post the model soon. I used a 4 gauge wire to go to the battery side of the solenoid. I roughly sanded the mounting flanges on the engine to make a good ground, I also added an 8 gauge ground wire from the alternator to the engine block.

It works great! My total cost was less than $170 and two hours of work max.

Thanks for all your help.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic