NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

raw water pump has slow leak pcm 302

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bencruizen76 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: raw water pump has slow leak pcm 302
    Posted: April-22-2016 at 4:10pm
I had my 76 tique running the other day coming out from winterizing and everything is good other than i have a leak coming from the raw water pump, does this mean i need a complete rebuild on it, and if so where do i find the parts. I have tried tightning the 3 bolts and that did not help. is it cheaper to just repace the whole pump?
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 4:15pm
Have you confirmed that the leak is not coming from a hose connection and running down the body of the pump? Have you ever replaced the impeller? Could you post some pics of what everything looks like in side and outside of the RWP?

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 4:53pm
Jeff,
As JP mentioned, do confirm the actual location of the leak. However, since you said you tried tightening the 3 bolts, it sounds like the leak is coming from the cover plate on the face. Older pumps use a thin paper gasket and newer ones use an O ring.. Take a look. Did you have the pump apart recently for an impeller?.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 5:25pm
i havent had the pump apart and havent messed with the impeller, i have checked the house clamps tho and they are all tight. I will get it running again and watch closely where the water is coming from.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 6:34pm
Order an impeller, you should change it if you don't know when it was last changed. That will come with a new gasket or o-ring. When you take it apart look at the mating surfaces of the pump housing and cover to make sure there aren't any grooves or other dings in it that might cause a leak.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2016 at 7:53pm
If you shop around to buy parts for a Sherwood g21 pump you can get them around 100 bucks. A new pump can be bought for around 350 and up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2016 at 12:18pm
so I took the pump apart and sure enough the impeller was bad and oring was also, cleaned the pump all up and used some dawn dish soap to put in a new impeller and oring and reassembled , I am gonna start it today and hopefully problem solved. Thank you all for your help, will keep you posted..
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bencruizen76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2016 at 11:15pm
well turns out the raw water pump still leaks.. looks as tho the water is seeping out of the front bearing seal.. what to do next???
LeftFieldEngineering View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeftFieldEngineering Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2016 at 11:27pm
Probably the pump seal, mine was laeaking from the front earlier this year. I picked up a major pump rebuild kit, installed new bearings, mechanical pump seal, gaskets, o-rings and new impeller. Works like a charm now.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2016 at 7:33am
Jeff,
As Andy mentioned, I agree that it sounds like it's time for a rebuild kit. Even though it may only be a seal problem, you might as well do a major on it since you need to tear it down anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic