Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

trailer bunks loose or tight?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailer bunks loose or tight?
    Posted: April-25-2016 at 7:00pm
If the boat isnt perfectly square when loading, at least one bunk will shift 90º (so the boat rests on the narrow edge) despite the bolts being as tight as I can get them. I didn't catch that it had flipped in march and i didn't have tools to fix it yesterday. So should the bunks be loose enough that they move freely as the boat is loading, or should they be tightened in the orientation they would rest with the boat loaded?    If they should be tightened, is there anything I can do to help prevent them from flipping (other than loading the boat square ) I don't have a pic of the bunk flipped, but here is one with them tightened in the correct orientation.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 9:44am
Are the outboard bunks 2x6 or 2x4, they look wide like a 2x6 which could be part of the problem?? Not sure exactly what your describing but every trailer I have owned, Ramlin or Eagle, the bunks are always tight and do not move.
BTW, Hollywood rides the same bike as yours
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 10:07am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Chris, close, but not the same. IIRC, Kevin's bike has handlebar streamers on it.
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 10:16am
and quinner has the same pool
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 10:20am
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

Chris, close, but not the same. IIRC, Kevin's bike has handlebar streamers on it.
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

and quinner has the same pool

It sure sounds like you two have plenty of fun together on play days!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 11:22am

Are the outboard bunks 2x6 or 2x4, they look wide like a 2x6 which could be part of the problem?? Not sure exactly what your describing but every trailer I have owned, Ramlin or Eagle, the bunks are always tight and do not move.

Dang, i left the house this morning before getting the responses, so I didn't snap a pic like I wanted. The outboard bunks are 2x4 with a 45º bevel. Since I am not the original owner, I simply copied what was there when I redid the bunks (they were pretty rotted).

I figured they should be tight. So I guess I will just either hit the gym to bulk up or make sure I keep a wrench and socket in the truck so I can fix if it flips. The red line represents it's normal orientation, the blue line represents when the bunk flips.

Thanks for your input!

And we stole that bike from HW, I was hoping no-one would notice. We cut the streamers, took off the training wheels, and added the basket to help throw off the police. Apparently the CCF police are quite adept.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 3:58pm
And that's Zach's luggage on the back end before he landed the sweet job with The Cat Dealer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 2:12pm
So we took the boat out yesterday and I made sure i had all the tools to fix the trailer bunk. Got the bunk in the right place and with all my might tightened the bolts. Took the boat out of the water to find the bunk had flipped back yet again and the boat was loaded perfectly square. Not sure what the best approach would be at this time. Im thinking either to just weld those brackets in place (harder to change the bunks later, but still doable) or remove them entirely (i only suggest this as other trailers don't have these bunks, but seems like these bunks do support the boat). I put the trailer in the water to where it just covers the fenders, so maybe i just need to back the trailer in a little farther? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated?

here is a pic of it flipped:

here is the starboard side for comparison:
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 2:39pm
Might be a balance issue if they are inclined to flip the wrong direction. I'd shift the bunk so that it always fell in the right direction if you were set on leaving them loose. Or lock them down in the position where they support the hull?

What year boat? What model trailer? Looks like a flat bottom (SN)? Normal (non-delux) #3's didn't get those inner helper bunks until much, much later (early 00's). #4-dv's got them around '80-81.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 3:09pm
What about just adding a u bolt plate combo to the C-Channel just below the bunk support (steel angle?) which would prevent it from rotating past what you see in the pick, say 10-15deg from horizontal??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Or lock them down in the position where they support the hull?

'89 sport nautique. not sure what model trailer it is. the 89 SpN was a mid-year production boat, so the brochure doesn't show this particular boat, and they did change a couple things for '90 SpN. The trailer is not the same as in the '89 brochure and the '90 brochure does not have trailer pictures. I'm assuming this was the original trailer as it does have a Sport Nautique decal on it.

I've been trying to tighten them the best i can, all the other bunks are tight and not shifting, just the rear port side one. Since our water is pretty muddy, it's hard to see the point in time when/where the bunk will flip. The boat has to be flipping it as they won't budge with my scrawny arms and I doubt the calm water is flipping them. The helm is starboard, i can't see (or feel) an imbalance to the port side. If i do leave them loose (which we tried when we redid the bunks in 2014), they tended to be "floppy" in the opposite direction of the picture (they would flip inward, not outward) with the boat again resting on the narrow edge of the bunk so that is when we tightened them all down. When loading the boat, I don't notice any change either. Usually very smooth loading. So not like there is a hard "hit" or sudden shift.

Thinking about this, The angle bracket that connects the bunk the the trailer is wider than the trailer upright, so I could weld some steel that would "box in" the upright so it would prevent the bracket from rotating yet leaving the bracket still easily removable. hmmmm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 3:19pm

What about just adding a u bolt plate combo to the C-Channel just below the bunk support (steel angle?) which would prevent it from rotating past what you see in the pick, say 10-15deg from horizontal??

well, that would definitely be easier. I'll see what I can do this route.   Planning on heading out sunday with a possible thursday, so i'll try this out. Thanks quinner.
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 3:30pm

Might be a balance issue if they are inclined to flip the wrong direction. I'd shift the bunk so that it always fell in the right direction if you were set on leaving them loose. Or lock them down in the position where they support the hull?

+1 if it flips the wrong way, I bet the bunk as re-installed in the wrong direction, or not using the correct bolt placement, etc.... They should lock down in place....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

+1 if it flips the wrong way, I bet the bunk as re-installed in the wrong direction, or not using the correct bolt placement, etc.... They should lock down in place....

Not quite sure how I would have installed them wrong or backwards. They are installed as a mirror image to the starboard side and there is only one bolt hole per support/bracket. I would agree that they SHOULD lock down in place    But i will take a look tonight to see if anything seems odd. If you look at the photo in the first post, the bunks are lined up and symmetrical. Also like i said in the original post, i thought it was due to the boat not being loaded perfectly square to the trailer, but yesterday it was right up the middle. The downside, I just don't have a way to work on it without the boat sitting in water. I don't have anything that could lift or support it to reset the bunk. so any repair have to be done at the public marina

I certainly appreciate everyones thoughts and suggestions!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 3:54pm
You could also drill a hole in the bunk L bracket and put a bolt through to "pin" it from flopping out of place.. .

Going deeper with the trailer will make the problem worse, you should go shallower.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:09pm

You could also drill a hole in the bunk L bracket and put a bolt through to "pin" it from flopping out of place.. .

+1 on that. Probably the easiest fix.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:10pm

Going deeper with the trailer will make the problem worse, you should go shallower.

The pin was one of my original ideas, so I haven't completely ruled that out, just didn't want to drill through the bracket...sounds like i'd get metal in my eye. I think my options pretty much are to keep the bracket from rotating by:
1. U-bolt with plate
2. Pin through the outboard side of the bunk bracket. Should the pin go through the bracket and the c channel?
3. horizontal steel plate "shelf" welded to the outboard C channel upright preventing the bracket from rotating
4. vertical steel plate welded to the outboard bracket boxing in the C channel.

from our experience, if we go shallower, it seems like it needs a lot of power loading to get it to the front of the trailer. with the fenders just barely covered, it still requires some power, but i don't have to "gun it". I will play with trailer depth sunday if the ramp isn't too busy.
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:21pm
Safety Glasses
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 4:33pm
Or mask and snorkel

Have you tried removing the bunk, rotating 180 deg and reinstalling?? If that is an angle and the top leg is above the C-Channel that may prevent it from rotating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Safety Glasses
i thought those were just for people to look cool

Or mask and snorkel

Have you tried removing the bunk, rotating 180 deg and reinstalling?? If that is an angle and the top leg is above the C-Channel that may prevent it from rotating

both the c-channel and bracket are 90º square. The angle is created by the rotation of the bunk and bracket pivoting on the bolt. rotating the bunk 180º wouldn't work as the angle of the bracket would be inline with the c-channel, so the bracket would have to be reversed on the bunk putting it in the same configuration as it sits now, ie the board would just be the only thing rotated 180º. I do have a bevel cut across the grain at the aft of the bunk so there isn't a sharp edge as the hull comes in contact with it. It's hard to see in the close up pics as it is only about 1 1/2" bevel face.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 5:56pm
Assuming you centered the angle bracket on the wood bunk? If so, you've got a 50/50 shot of it rotating out once it comes level (which may be happening when they float).   Move the wood bunk an inch to the outside and it'll increase your chances of it falling inwards. I would do this for both bunks. Pin it to prevent outwards rotation if you want belt and suspenders.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 7:39pm
That makes sense TIm. I did have it centered. I'll move the bracket a bit to the inside of the wood pushing the bunk outward. And I'll pin it. Talking it over with a friend just now and i think we are all in an agreement that is the best and easiest solution. Unfortunately my curiosity has the best of me wanting to know what part of loading it would cause it to do it...but i may never understand why. Ill follow up after I try all of this.

Thanks!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2016 at 8:39pm
I think you have it backwards.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 11:19am

Move the wood bunk an inch to the outside

Originally posted by spiralhelix spiralhelix wrote:

'll move the bracket a bit to the inside of the wood pushing the bunk outward

this didn't seem right to me, hence why i wrote it the way i did. i got a message that HW had posted the opposite, move the bunk inward (dont' see it as part of the thread though).

by moving the bracket towards a side, it creates a lever arm to to opposite side and I would want the "lever" to the inward side of the trailer.

I guess realistically, it will be moot as I will do as suggested and pop a pin in it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 12:03pm
My post was poorly worded, but you interpreted opposite.

Move the angle bracket outwards on the wood bunk. This will allow more bunk to overhang inwards. This inwards weight bias should make it prone to rotating that way.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2016 at 12:07pm
ok, great, that makes more sense to me. Glad we are all on the same page now :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2016 at 1:16pm
So after looking at that bunk with the boat off yesterday, I have determined that when I attached the angle brackets to the wood, i must have made the brackets 1/8-1/4" closer together. The front bracket was tight up against the c-channel and the aft bracket had just a tiny bit of space to it which i am guessing kept the two parts from really tightening down on each other. So we used the winch to slowly load the trailer and kept watch on that particular bunk. It is now laying correctly and I will fix it with a second bolt tonight.

Thanks again for everyone's input and I'll be glad not to worry about it anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 6:28pm
thought i would follow up with pics of the pins. Launched and received the boat without any flipping of bunks. I did the starboard side just as good measure. Thanks again for all the input.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic