NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Crank mount pump

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crank mount pump
    Posted: April-30-2016 at 10:38pm
I have a 1975 350 OMC motor that the water pump finally gave out and pours water out at the seals, nobody services it and impellors were difficult to get so decided to put a Johnson crank mount pump on. I have 1.25" hose from seacock to pump and the 1.25" reduced to 1" (how the old pump was) because that is what size the transmission cooler is. Got everything rigged up and thought all was well till I ran it at the lake and the first thing that happened is it blew the 1.25 out line on the pump down and sprayed water everywhere, I thought it was over and she was going down till I figured out what happened. I then tightened the hell out of the hose clamp and it stays on but actually blew a hole in the line out of the trans cooler next, maybe the line needs replacing but it looked good. I assume necking the pump down and increased volume and pressure with new pump is doing all this. I am wondering if anybody else has done this and had to neck it down to 1" after the raw water pump, I do not like how tight I have to put hose clamp on the bib of the output side of the pump, seems like something is going to give. Then during all this at low idle my transmission is now making funky noise in forward and reverse, no water in the transmission fluid.   Not a good start for the year.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 11:14pm
Jon,
How did you reduce the 1.25 to 1 between the RWP and cooler? I ask since that's where you blew the hose off and some reduction methods are better than others. The hole in the hose out of the cooler, was it an old hose?

How low is the RPM at idle? The trans's will rattle at below normal. It's the planetary get set rattling back and forth. The other possibility is your damper plate. How old is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2016 at 11:31pm
I reduced it thru a PVC reducer, as smooth a transition as I could find. The hose that blew is old and is not correct hose, PO had used white PVC hose that is not very strong. Idle is low on motor as for some reason it is idling low. I purchased the boat last year so it could be the dampner or maybe to low an idle. Guess I will adjust my idle and then see what I have.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 8:17am
Jon,
Reducing barb fittings are limited in that size. It would be great if there was a metal one instead of the PVC. I looked at McMaster and couldn't find any. Do get some decent hose as well as some good wide full wrap hose clamps. There's a hose clamp with an inner band so the outer rubber jacket doesn't extrude into the worm drive slots in the band.

With crank driven pumps running at engine RPM without any reduction via the sheaves, they really put out the PSI!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 9:12am
Go to hose clamp for soft hose and tube

"An extended tail acts as a liner to protect soft hose and tube, such as silicone, from being cut by the slots in the band"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 11:05am
Not sure if they get that big, but I have use PEX fittings with hoses & worm clamps. The OD has some grooves which act like barbs. OD size is a little under though.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 12:55pm
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 2:57pm
Update:   I put a tail type hose on the water pump side and replaced hoses from trans cooler to exhaust manifold. All was well and then exhaust manifold started leaking on starboard side at the riser joint, not a big leak but a leak. I pulled the end caps off to look manifolds are not bad corroded (vessel has never been in salt water) but I would be willing to bet they are the original OMC log style manifolds. The riser has a hole in it corroded, I don't know if there was an original hole that has blown out. I am hoping now they service the riser and gaskets but bet they don't anymore. If not then I guess it is new manifolds.   Both of them when running are cool enough to keep your hand on them and I don't see much corrosion as noted above. I am going to Skid tomorrow and ask one of those guys his thoughts, they sold me the water pump and have been good knowledge base.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:17pm
I had the exact same situation, Chevy, OMC, crapped out pump, went to crank mount. I didn't have any problems like you describe, I am thinking faulty-weak connections and faulty-weak hose, tho you said it seemed fine. That barbed fitting above look ideal for the reductions.
Here's my set up.

1 1/4 (or is it 1 1/8?) out of the through hull

Since both in and out hoses to the pump terminated short because the crank mount is farther from the hoses than the pulley mount was, I got some 1 inch hose, by digging through all the variety of radiator hose at the auto part store till I found two with the right bends. I used copper connectors for the reduction connection, the radiator hose had enough flex to stretch over the larger diameter. Conventional hose clamps.

One inch into pump

From pump outlet to tranny cooler, same connection, back up to 1 1/8 (or 1 1/4) as this is what the fittings on the cooler are.

1 1/8 into cooler.

I never really noticed that the 1 1/8 out of the cooler had been reduced to 1 on its way to the thermostat, but this connection has always been here.

Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:29pm
That is basically what I did.   Weird thing on this one is when coming out of transmission cooler it then t to aft end of exhaust manifolds.   Out of fwd end of manifolds there are 2 lines coming out into thermostat housing. I still don't even understand but water flows up the manifolds thru the engine and back out manifolds.    Maybe that is normal but never seen this set up
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 3:43pm
That is different than mine. Tranny cooler back to t-stat. No other hoses entering manifolds other than the two up front that come out of the t-stat housing. I have a 305 not a 350 but I would think all the fittings would be the same.   Same manifolds, just different end caps. Odd.
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 4:35pm
This motor could have been plumbed by a weekend warrior, it had 2 strainers, one before the raw water pump (normal) and one aft the tranny cooler that I removed. Here is pics.
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2016 at 4:54pm
Just pulled the other riser and there is no hole so for sure riser is bad.
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-15-2016 at 2:12am
So after spending to much money I have decided I have no choice but to replace manifolds so bought new PCM manifolds and new thermostat housing because of the plumbing on the old OMC one would not work with new style manifolds. Have installed them but now waiting on FRP exhaust legs to connect up since the manifolds are so different that I have to now used 45 degree elbows to meet the exhaust tube. Hopefully this will fix things and we can go mess around with the boat in the water instead of sweating replacing things.
Jbradford View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-16-2016 at 11:15pm
Here are some pics, still waiting on FRP elbows to connect exhaust. I guess because I am a Marine surveyor by trade everything has to be to ABYC standards, though I did use PVC in the water line for the elbow. PVC is not supposed to be used on any below water line connections but I figured since it was freshwater and could not find bronze and hate galvanized fittings that I would use it. Total change in plumbing of the motor. By the way I have the old manifolds for sale if anybody needs parts, listed them in the for sale section.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic