Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

318 engine rotation

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318 engine rotation
    Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:24pm
I have a 1966 correctcraft ski nautique with a Chrysler 318.it says 318RWR10 on the plate on the bell housing.Which way does this engine turn when looking at it towards the bow from the back of the engine?
Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:46pm
Clockwise. Is there a concern? Tell us more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 7:56pm
I just got this boat last week and the engine didnt come with a starter.The prior owner took it off cause he said it needed to be rebuilt and misplaced it in his shop.I want to put a car starter on it just to see how it runs on the trailer.They are much cheaper than the marine starter.$51.00.The car starter at discount auto parts turns counter clockwise so now that i know which way the motor spins it will work.Now to clean the carb and replace the cap,rotor and points and condensor.
Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 8:07pm
I read the plate wrong its says 318BWR1 i assume the BW is for borg warner?
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 9:23pm
If you are acknowledging that you have a reverse rotation engine, i.e. it turns clockwise looking at it from the rear, why do you think a car starter for a standard rotation engine will work? Also a car starter plus a marine starter will not be cheaper than just a marine starter. Why not just get one? I say that, because you don't want to operate your boat with an automotive starter. It is not "intrinsically safe" i.e it is not spark proof, like a marine starter is.. Under the hood of a boat can be a very explosive environment, hence special starters, alternators and carburetors. You don't want to cut costs on those things..
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 9:36pm
John,
Many have gotten into rotation problems running to the auto parts store and buying starters. Keep in mind looking at the aft end of your RR engine you want it to turn clockwise. Also, marine starters are ignition protected!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:07pm
The car starter turns ccw and is bolted to the bell housing so it will rotate the engine to the right.This starter is sealed and there are no openings just like a marine starter.Like i said in my second post ill will be running the engine with the cover off while its sitting on the trailer.If i dont like the way it runs or if it has a knock then ill pull the motor and put in a 1970 cobra 302 that i have that came out of a formula race boat.I will be using this boat to blow holes in sand in the ocean on a flat day treasure hunting on a 1715 fleet shipwreck off of sebastian inlet in florida.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:37pm
I'm still not convinced that a starter can work in both a left hand rotating car and a right rotating boat, unless the starter mounts from behind (like my omc/chevy, but all the diagrams of the Chrysler engines in the reference section show a conventional starter mount location). But give a shot and let us know what happens.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:50pm
John,
What end of the starter are you looking at when you say it turns CCW? I agree with Larry that the proper rotation is still questionable being an automotive starter.

BTW, you say it's sealed. Are you saying you are familiar with what makes a starter ignition proof?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:51pm
The starter mounts from behind the bell housing.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 10:54pm
Ah, then you are good to go, at least in terms of direction. That's why I checked the manuals which showed the Chryslers mounting pointing back and underneath, not pointing forward.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

BTW, you say it's sealed. Are you saying you are familiar with what makes a starter ignition proof?

My Dads first Shamrock was recalled just because PCM used a roll pin in the starter rather than a solid one
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 11:32pm
8122p,if you are looking at the back of the starter it turns ccw.
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 11:51pm
Heres what the engine looks like so you can see where the starter is.
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-21-2016 at 8:55am
I decided to hold off on getting the car starter since i didnt have a core and the cost was going to be $65.I found several sellers of marine 318 engines on ebay and msged them all to see if they wanted to part with a extra marine starter for this engine.I found one and he sold it to me for $100.It should be here on monday so i can test run my engine.I rebuilt the carter AFB carb,now have some wiring to do,its a mess.Will prolly just rewire everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic