NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another Abandoned Inboard

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another Abandoned Inboard
    Posted: June-12-2006 at 8:23pm
Guys,
There is yet another abandoned ski boat at my local marina. Here are some pics. What kind of boat is this? I don't think it's a CC. Any ideas? Should I bother trying to save it?
It looks like a very pretty hull, but there is grass growing out of a crack in the floor. It has no markings on it that I can find. I know the name of the original owner and can probably track him down. He brought the boat to the marina and left it in the parking lot, but never told them what to do with it. Probably has about $600 in debt to the marina right now and doesn't seem interested in the boat. Could be an easy acquisition.

My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
: The Best Scouting Software
JEFF KOSTIS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 8:48pm
    A old Ski Supreme??? Just a shot in the dark as it reminded me of one.

Dave, I say since your rockin on rebuilding the Mustang, that might make you another fun project!!

Jeff...
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 8:51pm
Chris,

Get the serial number off the starboard transom. The first three letters should be a unique code assigned to the manufacturer. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 8:58pm
It doesn't look like any brand that is still around today. It looks like one of the cheaper ski boats that tried to move in on the market. It could be a Baja Ski Sport maybe. Will have to do some research on that one.
Greg

86 BFN
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 9:47pm
There is NOTHING on the starboard transom, so far as I can tell.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Fook_U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fook_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2006 at 11:02pm
Since when do we bring home stray animals? They might have rabies! JK!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 7:34am
If that boat has rabies, somebody bite me. It's really clean, except for the fact that it's no longer being taken care of.

Stray animals sometimes make great pets. I got my 74 Mustang by tracking down the owner (based on just his last name). It was abandoned in the local marina. He gave me the t*tle in exchange for me settling his $5000 debt with the marina. They settled for $750. I gave the boat a tune-up and some new hoses and was able to put it on the water within a month. Check out the "SS Mini Update" thread for the long version of the story.

Don't be afraid of rabies! The sad truth is that even "traditional" boat purchases end up having problems the PO didn't tell the truth about.

I know the owner's name, but I can't find the guy. I've called every one with his name in Indianapolis and the north suburbs near the marina with no luck. I need a lucky break.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:14am
Go for it! It looks to be in good shape. Most of the parts are the same as CC or other ski boats. Get the boat, do a little work to it & make some money selling it. Or, keep it & start your own fleet! That is what I am doing much to the disapproval of my wife!
Greg

86 BFN
66Skylark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66Skylark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 12:42pm
Interesting... The boat has a Windshield wiper on the drivers side.

I agree with Jeff - looks like an old Ski Supreme.

If you can pick it up cheap maybe you could turn it around and sell it. You might make a couple of bucks to help pay for your CC restoration.

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 12:50pm
well, if there is one thing i know, its ski supremes and that aint no ski supreme. I fact its kind of insulting one would confuse that tub for one. I think skicat's guess of Baja is close if not a direct hit.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:21pm
I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a Baha either. Upholstery looks first class.

Appears to be in very good condition. Has a slight power slot in the bottom of stern. Also looks like it may have 4" exhaust (that would be consistant with Baha's mind set for performance detail.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:28pm
Well, gotta ski, oughta know. But I would agree. The noses on Ski Supremes were flatter, with more hard angles, that nose is fairly rounded across the deck. Also, the supremes had a more elegant dash pod. The nose looks to me like an early Hydrodyne, though I've never seen an inboard Hydrodyne that looks like this one. The boat doesn't look that old. Unless it was hand made, it should have a hull id number stamped into the transom. BKH
Livin' the Dream

77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:39pm
here is a 1990 baha at boat trader. looks sortof like the boat in question.
jhlewis10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhlewis10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:46pm
Pardon my ignorance, but can it be purchased with out the owner transferring t*tle?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:53pm
Abandoned vehicles can be purshased without the owner transferring t*tle. The process is called a lien sale. There is some legal paperwork to be filed, and you must post a notice in the paper notifying the public of the intent to lien sale. The exact procedure, timeframes, etc. should be available from the DMV. Usually, the person purchasing through lien sale will have to pay off the debt owed the storage yard. You can also try and track down the owner. Usually if they've abandoned the asset, they will be willing to give you the t*tle if you square up with the storage yard. BKH             
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 1:54pm
P.S. It is actually most common for the storage facility to do the lien sale (because they are the ones who have the lien) and then sell off the asset for whatever they can get to recover the debt. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 2:01pm
dchris is in Indy not too far from Ky. One more shot is a Brandt ski boat. They were made in Ky I think for a short time. It could be one of those. They had pretty nice interior, but cheaper looking dashes like this one.
Greg

86 BFN
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 5:29pm
The marina in question doesn't do lien sales (I've been through this already with them - that's how I got my Mustang 17). What they do is sell it to a scrap yard, who parts it out and then chops up the hull and sends it to a landfill. I've even offered to do all the legwork for them, but they aren't terribly reasonable. They've got bigger fish to fry. The only real hope on this boat is to find the owner.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Fook_U View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fook_U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 6:30pm
Cash in hand generally makes people more reasonable; tell them you are a new scarp yard business.
77stang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 77stang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 6:52pm
Let’s review this information again.

No Hull ID
No State Registration Number
No Lien Sales

Simply part it out and destroy and bury the hull.

Hmmmm, and why was the hitch assembly cut from the trailer and replaced with that portable looking contraption

Now even if there is nothing to all my speculation, what if there is a first lien that's beyond the value of the boat. Another fine reason not to do a lien sale.
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 8:25pm
It's occurred to me that the boat might be stolen.

The marina doesn't do lien sales as a general rule. They don't want to hassle with the paperwork. Destroying the hull is also what they do as a general rule. I've seen them do that with 30 foot boats, but first they've sat around in the boat yard for 5+ years. At any rate, the "no lien sales boat choppers" don't have anything to do with this specific boat - that's their approach to ALL abandoned boats.

The only reason they didn't chop up my boat (before it was mine) is because it is such a cool boat. This boat has only been in the yard for a year. I noticed it the day it showed up - the owner dropped it off, told the marina he would call them about what he wanted done, then disappeared.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 8:54pm
     Wonder why there is no evidence of #s?? Wonder what it had/has for power??

Jeff...
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:20pm
I'd love to open up the doghouse and check out the boat, but I'm a little uncomfortable doing that since the Marina renta-cop will come ask me what I'm doing. "Snooping" isn't really a good answer.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEFF KOSTIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:45pm
     Ever check with whoever grinds these things up?? Tell them youre M17 was there as well and you might need the engine out of it.

Jeff...
hotfish172 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotfish172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 9:47pm
I am a lawyer here in Florida and I represent many marinas. It's quite easy to get t*tle to a boat if you have a written storage contract that complies with Florida law. I'd be more than happy to let anyone know how to "crash" a t*tle to a boat the has been left to the elements. If you have a work order for any repairs, it's a similar path.
MarkNConnie
ccskier16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccskier16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 10:23pm
My guess is a Baja Ski Sport 190.

edit: or not...the more I look into this one the hull looks correct, but it seems too new to be a production model. I think they stoped making them in 1989.
93/70 ccpb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 93/70 ccpb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2006 at 11:40pm
if you do get boat and scrap it out i could use the interior for my 1970 correct craft swinger project?look to be in good condition,
what you dont want to hear from jbear and bill.you cant get in the boat till you get your minute,and they throw you back in water!
dchris17 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dchris17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 12:04am
I don't think the marina (which I don't have any relationship with) has anything written on the boat. The guy just left it in the boat yard, as far as I know. The marina just moved it out of the way - they haven't done anything to keep it safe. I've put the cover back on it a couple of times, but it keeps blowing off.

I wish there was a way to track down the owner from the trailer's plates.
My 1974 Mustang 17

TroopTrack
PLBC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 11:35am
if the marina doesn't have anything written on it, maybe the trailer and boat could just roll itself to your place one night? they tend to do that sometimes.
88skisupreme View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88skisupreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2006 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

well, if there is one thing i know, its ski supremes and that aint no ski supreme. I fact its kind of insulting one would confuse that tub for one.

word
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic