NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interceptor Manifolds

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interceptor Manifolds
    Posted: May-23-2016 at 6:58pm
Does anyone know of a source for new exhaust manifolds for Y-Block Fords?   (256, 272, 292 or 312 CID engines)

Correct Craft's '61 SN is randomly dropping a cylinder, and I've been through pretty much everything else. I'm going to nurse it thorough the Masters this week, but soon will need to do some serious investigating.....   If there is a leak, it's a small one, because there's no trace of water left in any cylinder.    
"Art"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 7:54pm
Art,
They are pretty rare. I found a used set for Allen but that's for SN #1. You may want to consider repairing them. Crow Custom Cast does fantastic work. I've seen several manifolds they did that you couldn't see any trace of the repair. It's expensive but considering it's CC's boat, I think they can handle it!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 8:37pm
Maybe if you knew someone at the factory you could get your hands on a PCM XR7. Cut a hole in the top of the motorbox and put on a scoop if need be. Get someone upstairs to ok it as factory authorized so some here don't get their underwear in a bunch. A side benefit,it would be able to pull a barefooter in Denver without a sweat. Get a top like cousin Donald's and Adam can use it diving when he moves back, it's a win win
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 8:56pm
Aet,
After the Masters, are you planning on pressure testing them? Barr at one time listed a Y block set. Give them a call and see if they still offer them. I've seen them and they are the typical Barr's heavy big clunky cast irons. I forgot to ask, are they the roundish or rectangular manifolds?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 9:36pm
See here Pete, plenty of room for a XR engine

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Aet,
After the Masters, are you planning on pressure testing them? Barr at one time listed a Y block set. Give them a call and see if they still offer them. I've seen them and they are the typical Barr's heavy big clunky cast irons. I forgot to ask, are they the roundish or rectangular manifolds?

Yes, Pete, as you can see in Gary's photo, they are the rectangular manifolds. They were standard on all Interceptors after 1964, I think. I'm sure you've seen Boat Dr.'s boat with the low manifolds. I spoke with the Barr distributor here in FL and he said they no longer stock or make them. I plan to contact Barr directly and see what I can find out. The used ones that are out there are starting to be hard to find, and you don't know what you're getting until you've bought them. A good fabricator could weld up stainless ones, but it would be ungodly expensive.

I'll probably test them without disassembling first. Just connect a water supply to the inlet(s) put in running position, and let it out of the dump, and look for water to show up in the ports.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Maybe if you knew someone at the factory you could get your hands on a PCM XR7. Cut a hole in the top of the motorbox and put on a scoop if need be. Get someone upstairs to ok it as factory authorized so some here don't get their underwear in a bunch. A side benefit,it would be able to pull a barefooter in Denver without a sweat. Get a top like cousin Donald's and Adam can use it diving when he moves back, it's a win win

Great idea, Gary, but on this one I'm going to choose to side with the "originalists." I'm real partial to Y-Blocks because my first CC had one in it. If we put the XR in a Ski Tique hull and figure out a way to make an overdrive for it, the boat might break some speed records;.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2016 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Art,
They are pretty rare. I found a used set for Allen but that's for SN #1. You may want to consider repairing them. Crow Custom Cast does fantastic work. I've seen several manifolds they did that you couldn't see any trace of the repair. It's expensive but considering it's CC's boat, I think they can handle it!   

Pete, I would probably be skeptical about repairing. The outer jacket is no sweat, that can be welded easily. It's the internal walls that worry me. You could have one repaired and a month later another spot corrodes through. I'm actually surprised that the aluminum lasts as long as it does, given the dissimilar metals in the system. Nowadays, anything that has both iron and aluminum in it gets closed cooling.
"Art"
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:03am
You can have my set off of a 302. Need repair but look to be in good shape and well, free.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 9:32am
Originally posted by dangerwil dangerwil wrote:

You can have my set off of a 302. Need repair but look to be in good shape and well, free.

I appreciate the offer, but, unfortunately, the 302/351 manifolds are not interchangeable with the Y-Block series of engines.     Thanks!
"Art"
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 11:42am
Link:

Here is a set.
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
Cuda Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cuda Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2016 at 12:14pm
Link:

You can buy them new for a fraction of what that guy on ebay is asking. Not the originals but they are new and on sale!
1968 Barracuda Super Sport
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:01pm
True. In the last photo we see that the seller is a cast metal restored. I would be afraid to gamble that many $$ unless it was a sure thing. Then also there is the issue of non-original. Years ago I experienced Osco replacements that wouldn't fit under the motor box due to the extra width. Thanks for the research, but I think I'll pass on this one.
"Art"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 11:02pm
Oops, I meant cast metal "restorer".
"Art"
istop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote istop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 10:09am
I believe I have a set of originals! They've been in the barn for 30 plus years. I'll dig them out if your still looking.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2016 at 10:38am
Thank you, yes, I am still looking for a pair. Just to be clear, there are two types of manifolds for that engine. There is the rectangular-shaped type that mounts up next to the rocker arm covers above the exhaust ports, and there is the roundish type that hangs below the exhaust ports. I am looking for the rectangular type. The outlet risers, or as some call them, "dumps" come out to a 2-3/8 inch diameter outlet.
"Art"
istop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote istop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 10:12am

Here they be!
Send me email or other method for more pics.
These were from a early 60's blue 16 that was on Bantam lake, it might have been one of Al Tyle's boats originally . Engine lost a bearing in 72 +-and was then rebuilt in 77. Neighbors tree fell on boat & ending its life before it was ever back in the water.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 10:38am
I'll PM you in just a minute. Thanks!
"Art"
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 10:47am
Art......I'm guessing these are for the 61'?
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 11:03am
I haven't taken the manifolds off the '61 yet to test them. I am gathering parts to build a 292 or 312 for my '63, so am gathering parts. They could end up on that if the ones on the '61 test "good."   I also have a '64 with an original 312 in it as an "ace in the hole" in case I can't come up with a decent Y-block, but if I can build a good engine, I will sell the '64 complete and original. Not ready to put it on the market yet. The interior is shot, but basic boat is good and was in use when I bought it. PO ripped out the interior.
"Art"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 11:40am
Those look like Windsor, not y-block manifolds. I may be interested if they won't work for Art. Pm me.
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Those look like Windsor, not y-block manifolds. I may be interested if they won't work for Art. Pm me.

Excellent observation, TRB! Y-Block manifolds have the ports almost flush on the main part of the manifold, not projecting out like those shown. They came off a 260 or a 289. Thanks for catching that; I need to be more observant.
"Art"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 3:49pm
Perhaps moreso visually , Y-block intake and exhaust runners are reoriented much like a sb chevy is.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 12:06am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Perhaps moreso visually , Y-block intake and exhaust runners are reoriented much like a sb chevy is.

Not sure that I understand exactly what you mean here........ Intake runners are stacked, on top of each other.
"Art"
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 12:14am
I think what Gotta Ski means is that these pictured manifolds are for a 302, 351 because the spacing of the exhaust ports is equal and a 312 has the 2 center ports spaced very close together kinda like a typical small block chevy

KenO
ArtCozier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArtCozier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 12:27am
Ah..... Now I "get" it. Thanks. You gotta talk slowly to us old codgers.
"Art"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic