NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

31 gallon fuel tank run time

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 2:15pm
A Flush Nautique?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 3:50pm
Haha! Flush Nautique. U funny guy.
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 4:47pm
The Mel Fisher group no longer owns the 1715 fleet wreck sites.They sold them all to a guy by the name Brent Brisben.If you want to work any of his sites it will cost you 2k for a sub contract.I dont work for Brisben.I work for another guy thats a half owner of the cabin wreck site.Brisben is the other half owner.I dont have to pay anything to be a sub contractor.I get 40% the half owner gets 40% and the state gets 20% of whatever treasure we find.Most of the time the state wont take the 20% if they already have those types of items.If we happen to find a nice size bronze cannon they will want it but will trade us gold coins for it.There is well over 3-4 billion worth of treasure left on the cabin wreck site,including the queens jewels which none of it has ever been found.Just one item would be priceless.Thats what im after.If i find gold or silver coins in the process of looking for the queens jewels than that would just be a bonus.1 6 gram 2 escudo is worth $3500 to 5k.
Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 4:54pm
skutsch,

A extension can be added to the blower for deeper water but then its harder to pull up,then you need a A frame and a winch or 2 to 3 guys to pull it up.If you have to get out of there in a hurry because of bad weather or the wave got big all of a sudden and you cant get the blower up fast then you have a problem.My little blower is light enough that 1 person can pull it up quick,i will cut anchor lines then come back later to retrieve them later just to get out in a hurry.I have cut them on the half reale when my crew didnt work fast enough.Ending up on a reef or the beach is no option.

This 18 inch blower will blow a 10 to 18 foot hole in 5 feet of water all the way down to the hardpan.
Millions of dollars of Spanish treasure await those who would dare brave the eye of the hurricane.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by Striker37 Striker37 wrote:

skutsch,

This 18 inch blower will blow a 10 to 18 foot hole in 5 feet of water all the way down to the hardpan.

I think I just figured out a way to get to the dock at my in-laws cottage when the water is low...

Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 5:55pm
skutsch,

We dredged a canal 100 foot long and 5 foot deep on a friends lakefront house with a jet ski with 2 stern anchors and 20 feet of septic drain field hose attached to the jet drive.Took 2 days to do it.Just have to have cool neighbors,they might call the DEP on you if you do it without a permit at least here in florida you have too.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

skutsch,

I think I just figured out a way to get to the dock at my in-laws cottage when the water is low...

Steve,
The DNR will love you!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 8:46pm

The Mel Fisher group no longer owns the 1715 fleet wreck site.

Interesting John,I have two neighbors in the Keys that were telling stories last winter,one was a diver for NOAA in the Keys,the other had a salvage and charter operation in Long Island who specialized diving the Andria Doria. Got to hear alot of stories,seems like everyone knows each other too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
The Godfather View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Godfather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2016 at 10:15pm
After market
Jbear, said to me wow if it was'nt for this site we would never had met for this to happen....
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 12:09am
I pretty much know or have heard of everyone in the treasure biz.Most of the older guys that worked the 1715 fleet have passed the bar so we are the younger guys taking their places now.Its fun to find treasure,cant really make a living off it unless you find over a million dollars worth in 1 hole.Helps to have a investor or 2 cause there are costs involved,fuel,lodging,food,water and scuba air.And of course boat problems.Last summer one boat blew one of their trannys the first day out,then another bent 2 80lb danforth anchors like pretzals.i helped them straighten one of them out so it was usable.We broke a anchor the second day out and lost one of our anchor balls,one of my crew forgot to pull it in an it got wrapped around the prop.Then we lost 20 feet of hookah hose that got wrapped in the prop after the diver got back in the boat.The first day that it was nice out there were thousands of bull sharks swimming on our site an no one wanted to get in the water.Then we had the keyway in the rudder fall out and disappear in the bilge somewhere.had lots of slop in the steering for coming into the inlet that wasnt fun.2 other crews their metal detector head phones died.1 of ours the coil cable got pulled out by a shark.No one died last summer and millions in treasure was found.we werent the ones that found the millions so maybe it will be us this summer.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 1:23am
Good things come to those who wait right? Back in the late 60's I met Art McKee at his museum,interesting guy. I don't know if it was slow day for him or if that is just how he was but he gave the whole family a guided tour. Then in the 90's I had my family at Mel Fishers place,he showed up and we got a picture of him autographing something our son bought. Maybe your next,I'll bring my camera
Both our neighbors seem to know everyone,the one who worked for NOAA you cant go anywhere in the Keys without someone stopping to talk. He's a retired policeman from Ohio who got into diving and moved to the Keys. At one time he instructed and worked at Ocean Divers in Key Largo. He's in his late 60's and just retired from diving. The other is well known for east coast wreck diving and particularly the Andrea Doria and is in his 80's so yes the torch has been passed.

Good Luck to you and your adventure !
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 1:22pm
Gary thanx for the good luck wishes.Back in the late 60's my dad took me to Art Mckee's museum he gave us a personal tour too.Nice guy.His daughter Karen Mckee worked with us last summer for a short time.
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 9:29pm
The fiberglass motor box surely means the 318 you have is a polyhead. If and when you break that motor, you may want to drop in s replacement because the parts will be very difficult to find.

That motor is going to lead a pretty hard life, doing what you are proposing. It is a solid lifter motor, so check the valve clearances and keep an eye on them. The long hours of running under load will not do the valve seats any good, if they gave never been replaced for unleaded fuel.

The Chrysler's were overbuilt for marine use with forged rods, and a marine specific cooling system. The exhaust manifolds are quite rare, flush them religiously after saltwater use or they won't be around long, the other item susceptible to corrosion is the front engine cover that replaced the automotive circulating pump.

Good luck with your treasure hunting, I'm sure most if the enjoyment us in the chase.

Gary
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 10:14pm
According to the hour meter in the dash that was still wired to the ignition switch it has 199 hours on it.I do have a spare engine.Its a ford 302 holman moody cobra that came out of a 1972 formula 20 foot boat.Its still like brand new,dont think it was run much.Hes a pic of the chyrsler 318 in my ski.I just finished rebuilding the carter AFB 3213S carb.I still need to find a spark arrestor for it with a throat of 4 1/2 inches.I dont think the exhaust has any mufflers on it.its just straight rubber exhaust hose out the back.Has anyone ever replaced the hose with the newer 3 inch fiberglass exhaust pipes and used silicone couplers to hook it all together?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 10:55pm
Most of us would shudder at putting mufflers on such a boat, but as you will apparently be running it stationary all day to run your blower attachment, in your case it makes sense to add them.

Based on some of the offshore comments on here however, it would seem to make more sense to fix it up just as a fun runabout ski boat, and use a more appropriate craft for your treasure hunting....
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2016 at 11:20pm
I do have a all aluminum 1968 Striker 37 foot Sportfish i could use for treasure hunting,but i just moved it from sebastian to sanford to have it pulled out of the water to restore it back to original condition.New aerospace epoxy paint mostly.and getting rid of the wood and fiberglass stern deck and replacing it with aluminum sheet.Plus i have to have 2 stainless steel heat exchangers made for both diesel engines as the brass ones have very little life left on them.Both engines have 5000 hours on them.Most of this boats lift was cruising the ICW in fort lauderdale.The prior owner was my uncle.I plan on using the boat for fishing tournaments and scuba diving offshore.The engines are DAF-DS-575's inline 6 bangers.They are precision engines built like rolls royce engines,very quiet and fuel burn is 2 1/2 gallons per hour for both engines.This boat is supposed to do 18 knots and plane at 12.The fastest i have ever got it up to was 11 1/2 knots.The bottom is in rough shape,bottom paint is patches right now which i suspect is keeping the boat from going faster.I had both props re pitched several times cause they were putting a bad load on the engines.I had a bad vibration on the starboard shaft an it was due to a sloppy cutlass bearing.I replaced it with a cutlass bearing removal tool underwater.Took 30 hours to get the old one out and the new one in,now no vibration.The port side one will need to be replaced too but ill do that one on land this time.This boat has a 2 1/2 foot draft so getting in close to shore wouldnt be possible plus the thought of beaching it from a big wave would be real costly to get back off.The little ski nautique would be perfect for this work.If i beach it one of the other treasure boats could yank me off the beach.Plus it lives on a trailer and not in a slip at a marina that charges $15 a foot.And it will be a go fast boat.I like to go fast!I appreciate all the info and help you guys have written.ski boats arent just for water sking.My body cant take that kind of abuse anymore.Heres a pic of the striker at its new home on the st johns river.paint falling off an all.an another on our way to sanford just rounding hontoon island.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:03am
If you are not going to use the ski pylon, I may be interested, depending on condition.   Very interesting thread you have going here.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:21am
I'd like to see a picture of your Holman Moody
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:47am
Fanofccfan,ill prolly keep the pylon it may come in handy in case i have to pull something or someone.A boom can be attached to it since i have 2 side scan sonars that i tow from the side of the boat.I have all kinds of tubing brackets that i got from a dental supply company for dental lights on poles.I can pretty much fabricate anything i want.

Ill get some pics of the holman moody engine tomorrow.I even have several chevy 6.2 liter diesel engines here i could adapt to work in the ski in case the 318 blows up.I trust diesels more than gas engines.My chevy truck is diesel.I ran used cooking oil in it for 7 years.now i make biodiesel for it.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 12:57am
Now you're talking, a 6.2 or 6.5 diesel with closed loop cooling! Would be nice to find a Peninsular already set up for it though.

Something I wonder about - you need prop thrust to do the work with the blower. I don't know what achieves that best, a gas motor with a 1:1 transmission running 2,000 - 2,400 rpm with a smaller prop, or a diesel with 2:1 transmission running 1,500 rpm with a bigger prop.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Striker37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Striker37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2016 at 4:13am
Blowers work best when you have a little prop inside of a big tube.This way you wont need high revs to move the sand.Some of the other treasure hunting boats have big props that take up almost the entire diameter of the blower tube.They have to blow for an hour to do what the smaller prop in the bigger tube can do in less time.To give you a idea i built a 30 inch blower for a friends boat,his prop is 17 inches.we blew a 30 foot hole in 20 feet of water at 200 rpms above idle in less than 15 minutes.His boat has a 300 hp 6 banger volvo diesel.The half reale i worked last summer has a 18 inch blower with a over pitched 13 inch prop.It took full throttle at 3000 rpm to blow a 10 foot hole in 8 feet of water with a 80hp diesel yanmar.With a lesser pitched prop we could have blown bigger holes at a lesser rpm plus the boat with the blower up would have been much faster.I worked on a 100 foot ship in NC that has dual 6 foot blowers with 5 foot props and the engines were detroit 8V71's.we blew a 100 foot hole in 30 feet of water and it took us over 2 hours to do it at almost full throttle.There was no hardpan there and the sand was like quicksand that swallowed up the wreck in 1750,it was the El salvador,with well over 900 million in gold on it.The state of NC banned the use of prop wash after we dug that hole for reasons unknown.I guess they were watching and saw the 5 feet of a sand berm around the ship.we had to blow our way into that sandbar and blow our way out.

After i get the blower on my boat ill test it out in the channel at my dads house to remove some of the sand and see how it works in 5 feet of water.

the pic is myself on the ocean star with the 6 foot blowers.
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 4:59am
This is the most fascinating thread I've ever read....
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 10:51pm
When I lived in Key West back in the early '80s my roommate and her boyfriend worked for Mel Fisher on the Nuestra Senora de Atocha wreck. Through them I got to attend the company Christmas party where he showed a part of the collection they had found over the year. It Was really interesting seeing the things they found.
I got to dive with them a couple of times and found a musket ball and a piece of pottery (no treasure) but it was really exciting finding those things.
Seeing those boats with the blowers on the back brings back memories.
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 7:01pm

skutsch,

We dredged a canal 100 foot long and 5 foot deep on a friends lakefront house with a jet ski with 2 stern anchors and 20 feet of septic drain field hose attached to the jet drive.Took 2 days to do it.Just have to have cool neighbors,they might call the DEP on you if you do it without a permit at least here in florida you have too.

i did the same thing and got served with a notice if next years lake areal shots showed another lake bottom change i would get a 10k fine, it worked great tho
my 1980 SN is mad at my 2009 HD
Grey95chevyboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grey95chevyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-30-2017 at 9:46pm
Striker37 Inquiring minds would love to know if you finished or made any progress on this project?
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 9:15am
So this guy is putting a mailbox on a Nautique.

I'm putting all-Y'all on notice I never want to hear any crap about my boat again!
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2017 at 9:21am
OP,
How are you going to deal with the blow-up? Those blower boats are keel cooled. You are gonna pack that Chrysler full of sand in < 3 minutes when you lower that box.

"Today's the day!"
Mel was a friend of mine.
Did you know Johnny Hermans?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic